Thirty something dreaming of not paying mortgage

Options

Comments

• kaycastle
    kaycastle Posts: 358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just did a big update on my first post for the new year after a chat with my lovely OH :beer:

We are setting aside any major house improvements for the next 5 years (still going to get some much needed furniture and do some DIY bits) and think about those a bit later in life.

And basically we're going to try to pay off as much as possible - I'd be so pleased if we can get to under £100,000 in 5 years. We're still over £200k at the moment....so yeh thats quite a way!!!

I'm going to save everything in an account each year and then do a big payment once a year. So fingerscrossed!!

I also have some major fitness goals this year!

I haven't quite done my budget yet - I'm going to wait a couple of months until I've been in my job a bit and see how much I save each month.
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi kaycastle, loving the update! Your diary is one of my favourites, so it's great to hear you back to being so upbeat and positive. Looking forward to hearing your plans so I can pinch them!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • Miss_Money_Magnet
    Options
    Hi, our mortgage amount is similar to yours so just wanted to wish you luck.
    Hope the new role works out well for you x
    "Never underestimate the power of small amounts"
    New Mortgage started March 17 £236,000 (28 years) NOW £231,500 March 3 18. 68% LTV. £221,100 Aug 19 £210,000 Jan 2020 £206000 April 2020 £204000 May £202,997, Aug 20 £199,554, Dec 20 £196,629 June 21 £185,200
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Thank you south coast and miss money magnet :) that's really kind and motivating.

I just finished a 5 mile walk with my OH and had a nice tasty lunch. We are eating vegan for January at the moment and have also been mostly plant based since november.

It's really have great effects on my body and I thought I'd give in really quickly and have cravings but its been super easy.

I am also very intrigued how this affects our food spend each month. Once I collect more data I will share some trends and numbers :) maybe need about 6-8 more weeks of eating this way.

Getting so excited about starting new job. Very excited and slightly intimidated by the income. In going to keep my standing orders to saving accounts and manually move over extra now to boost my current account and then come March I'm going to try to put away £1500 I'm savings every month.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful new year! :) :j
  • South_coast
    Options
    That was me when I started my job, it felt like too much money - now it doesn't feel like enough!

Good luck

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Good luck with the new job :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with the new job! :)
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Thank you all :)

I'm really enjoying the new place. It's so nice to be out of that last nightmare. So strange to be with normal professionals.

My routine is all over the place at the moment. We've managed to make our own lunches for 2 days and we did batch cook some dinner on sunday which will run out tomorrow.

Desperately trying to be healthy. I'm doing a les mills on demand class when I get in from work. I was too tired after yesterday.

I feel really good about my new job, its great. But obviously as starting the new routine the house is getting messier and messier...can't wait to have a good clean up on saturday morning.

Also cant wait for payday eeee!
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Time for a new post on a shiny new forum :) 
    January was a long month, a close relative passed away and started new job. So a bit crazy.

I said I want to be more accountable on my spending and so I have to say my spending was out of control in january I'm so ashamed!

Spent over £400 on food and over £150 on beer.....ahhh I'm so ashamed as I think thats very high for 2 people. And also scared to look back incase this isn't a one off and an actual trend.
    Its not even like we ate out much. I don't even feel like I ate much
    I had to move 1000 to savings for a bit of a buffer until payday :(
    I must do better this month and think I'm going to try a free budgeting app called money dashboard. 
    I feel like the beer spend was shocking as I think we actually went out less than we usually do.
    I was doing better in february but had a big night out yesterday....!?!? I feel like a very badly behaved forum member.

I might do a 30 day drink free thing or something as I dont think it's good for my body at all...and is cancelling out my workouts.

Anyone any suggestions? Is my spending bad?

• South_coast
    Options
    Yes  :D! But it's only one month and with the rollercoaster of the exciting new job and the loss of your relative I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. You've recognised it and know what you need to do, so relax and don't get disheartened 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback