Forum Home» Motoring» Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

University car parking fine, UKPC (Student at same university)

New Post Advanced Search

University car parking fine, UKPC (Student at same university)

24 replies 969 views
TVremoteTVremote Forumite
33 posts
Windscreen ticket

The date of the parking incident ( 9th February)

The date of issue shown on any letter headed Notice to Keeper.

The name of the respective parking company pursuing you. UKPC

I parked at northumbria university campus which is dictated by a visitor list. I am a student at the university and was living on campus, moving items in to my accommodation from my car which they allow.(coming back from my home city from the xmas break) the parking attendant told me to move to the other parking area as they had an event on. (not sure if this information helps) i moved it 5 seconds across the road, which was whilst i move my property into my accommodation and the attendant was understanding. in this new parking bay there are a lot of bays and alot of the bays are unmarked or have hazard lines split up by cones for people to park in (northumbria's design)

now i have appealed this , and they said as I was parked in a incorrect bay the charge was valid. I dont think they took into account my circumstances at all. rather just looking at the lines. it looked like my car was sat on due to the pictures took by the attendant. (despite these being valid bays for people to park in and have and still do so at the university. They have told me I need to appeal to POPLA.
the whole situation arose from an attendant informing me it would be fine whilst i move my items in, the trip to move my items went from a 30 second trip up to a couple of minutes, id come down and got a ticket.

if anyone could help would be appreciated, I apologise if it was long winded or hard to read.

thanks

Replies

• edited 28 February 2019 at 10:28PM
    UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    33.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2019 at 10:28PM
    Thanks for splitting your initial thread.

Just appeal to POPLA using the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3 appeal templates as your base. Looks like you have identified the driver - if you have, forget all the PoFA stuff. Work on other aspects like signage (UKPC signage is pants), landowner authority, compliance with the BPA Code of Practice etc.
  • MistyZMistyZ Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, have you identified the driver in your initial appeal? It does sound as if you have.

If the car was initially parked in a parking area that students definitely had permission to use while unloading and was then moved to the specific area the attendant indicated, then a complaint to the university might get the PCN cancelled.

Just a heads up though, I found your post a bit confusing and a landowner complaint needs to be very clear.
  • edited 7 March 2019 at 5:28PM
    TVremoteTVremote Forumite
    33 posts
    edited 7 March 2019 at 5:28PM
    MistyZ wrote: »
    Firstly, have you identified the driver in your initial appeal? It does sound as if you have.

If the car was initially parked in a parking area that students definitely had permission to use while unloading and was then moved to the specific area the attendant indicated, then a complaint to the university might get the PCN cancelled.

Just a heads up though, I found your post a bit confusing and a landowner complaint needs to be very clear.

If anyone else or yourself could help this would be grateful as I'm very confused... there is no POPLA argument that seems to fit mine everyone has an airport or train car park.

This is what i sent to them :

Hi there,
    I would like to contest / challenge this parking ticket as i believe it’s is completely unfair, and incorrect.
    Where I parked on campus as a student at the university, there are 2 car parks one outside lovaine student
    accommodation (where I live) and one 5 seconds walk directly across the road.
    Now i had just come up from ...( from the xmas break) and had to carry my household items etc. in
    the car and unpack them, all fine.
    So originally i parked in the car park directly outside my accommodation to unload my stuff which would of been a
    much easier job, but i was asked to move my car by staff as the car park was closed due to an event. Told
    them my circumstances, they told me, just to park in the other car park whilst I’m unloading my items and
    then I would have to move. now when i return to my car after doing a couple of trips back and forth i had a
    ticket. I don’t think any circumstances were took into account, in regards to, where I resided, moving my
    items back in literally at the time, being asked to move my car into that car park. the whole thing happened
    so quick, And i feel like this ticket was just unjustified with what was going on.

(I didn't technically claim i parked the car, which i didn't as it was my father who moved the car into the other carpark )

Now they have sent me the POPLA Code, im stuck with where to go from here
    FYI: I haven't sent this to POPLA this was my denied APCOA
  • edited 7 March 2019 at 5:44PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    51.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2019 at 5:44PM
    There are plenty of template points in post 3 of the NEWBIES that fits your situation exactly.

Inadequate signage
    Not the landowner
    No standing to bring charges
    Frustration of contract caused by the scammer's operative
    Predatory actions by the parking operative who deliberately gave false information
    Unloading is not parking. The Jopson case refers.
    http://nebula.wsimg.com/f6d657adf7df70d27e1dd285688b5701?AccessKeyId=4CB8F2392A09CF228A46&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

to name but a few points relevant to your case.

Post your draft appeal here before submitting it.

Also mention that you were not the driver. Edit out the information about who moved the car.

Do complain to the Uni admin and your student union rep if you are a member.

Do complain to your MP about this unregulated scam as per the info in post 1 of the NEWBIES.

Also complain to the BPA and DVLA about the actions of the parking operative who deliberately told you to park in a specific place so they could issue a PCN.

Also point out to them and the uni that these scammers were previously caught doctoring timestamps on ther photo' evidence.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You really haven't grasped this have you, you are dealing with greedy scammers who won't even have read that appeal, and you have written it as if they care, they don't!

What happened on the day is immaterial to POPLA and there are hundreds of appeals on here that are nothing to do with Train stations or Airports.

For goodness sake don't use the same appeal as you wasted on UKPC, POPLA only consider technicalities, signage, COP, law arguments etc.

What happened when you made a complaint to the university about this harassment of a student that is paying their exorbitant fees and keeping them in a job, especially as their tame muppet allowed you to park where he said you could?
  • TVremoteTVremote Forumite
    33 posts
    fisherjim wrote: »
    You really haven't grasped this have you, you are dealing with greedy scammers who won't even have read that appeal, and you have written it as if they care, they don't!

What happened on the day is immaterial to POPLA and there are hundreds of appeals on here that are nothing to do with Train stations or Airports.

For goodness sake don't use the same appeal as you wasted on UKPC, POPLA only consider technicalities, signage, COP, law arguments etc.

What happened when you made a complaint to the university about this harassment of a student that is paying their exorbitant fees and keeping them in a job, especially as their tame muppet allowed you to park where he said you could?
    ive not used the same appeal, that's just what i put prior to POPLA code.

and i haven't made a complaint yet... because if you knew the university its very hard to get into contact or even find the right department for these things let alone get anything sorted through them. surely going through POPLA would be most successful no?
  • edited 7 March 2019 at 5:33PM
    Ralph-yRalph-y Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2019 at 5:33PM
    while you follow the above good advice .....

you should complain to the campus , that should be the easiest, quickest option.

How much are you paying them a year ?????

so whilst working on your POPLA appeal try the complaint ...

Ralph:cool:
  • edited 7 March 2019 at 5:37PM
    fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2019 at 5:37PM
    POPLA is supposed to be impartial but is paid for by the BPA who are paid by the PPC go figure that.

But they make some weird decisions and will not be bending over backwards to assist you that's for sure.

We always recommend a landowner cancellation as a first port of call, they are the ones that got you in this mess in the first place by hiring the devious muppets.

You may not realise that UKPC bend the COP rules of the BPA by making their attendants a "profit centre" thereby circumventing the no incentivisation rules, you fell for their oldest trick, be friendly, tell em where to park, nab them and hide! kerching bonus in pocket when paid up.
  • TVremoteTVremote Forumite
    33 posts
    fisherjim wrote: »
    POPLA is supposed to be impartial but is paid for by the BPA who are paid by the PPC go figure that.

But they make some weird decisions and will not be bending over backwards to assist you that's for sure.

We always recommend a landowner cancellation as a first port of call, they are the ones that got you in this mess in the first place by hiring the devious muppets.

You may not realise that UKPC bend the COP rules of the BPA by making their attendants a "profit centre" thereby circumventing the no incentivisation rules, you fell for their oldest trick, be friendly, tell em where to park, nab them and hide! kerching bonus in pocket when paid up.

do you think i could maybe merge these?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71285691&postcount=2341

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71287626&postcount=2342

or just use the signage one?
    is it better to merge multiple?

any help appreciated, then i shall complain to my campus
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    51.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use the most up to date version you will find in post 3 of the NEWBIES along with ALL the other points I have suggested, plus any other there that are relevant plus any others from other recent UKPC PoPLA appeals that are relevant?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support