🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Staff outing - only ladies invited

Options

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The mysogny of some posters is simply embarrassing to read. Using conflation and assumptions to then ranting about how someone uses their unpaid time to help disadvantaged children.

Pure Alt Right tactics.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • ArcticRoll
    ArcticRoll Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2019 at 10:53AM
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    The mysogny of some posters is simply embarrassing to read. Using conflation and assumptions to then ranting about how someone uses their unpaid time to help disadvantaged children.

Pure Alt Right tactics.
    Not at all, it's right out of the At Right playbook to decide the some children are more deserving of help than others because of their class, colour, socioeconomic background or, in this case, gender.

Some of us are merely suggesting that additional support should be based on a child's educational needs and nothing else. Should a child who is struggling but has a teacher who refuses to offer them support and help because they've decided only children that possess a different characteristic to them are entitled to that help, be grateful that others are getting the help they need instead and then maybe accuse him of using 'Alt Right' tactics if he believes he's getting a raw deal?

Maybe the boys should have thought about the centuries of patriarchy control they would have theoretically have benefited from had they been born earlier and reflect on how much of an inconvenience they are to everyone when they have the audacity to struggle in a subject at school.

"My daughter needs help with her maths"
    -Absolutely, I can set up a Girls Only club
    "My son also needs help with his maths"
    -He needs to try harder
    "Can't he get additional support too as my daughter has been offered?"
    -Misogyny!
    "That hardly seems fair"
    -That's such an Alt Right thing to say

I think it's a new nadir has been reached when the idea that a teacher has a moral duty and responsibility to help and support all those in their class based on educational need rather than preference or prejudice based on gender, race, sexuality, disability or class is seen as putting forward 'Alt right' principle.

There's absolutely no misogyny at play at all, in the same way a white teacher who was criticised for a 'Whites Only club', citing similar excuses that only white pupils in their class struggled at the subject, wouldn't be the target of racism either. Nor would those who criticised the teacher for running a 'Whites only club' be using Alt Right tactics.

Deciding that children are less entitled to help because usually other children like them perform better at that subject, isn't great teaching and I think if some people weren't so far down the rabbit hole to the point where they're actually making the case that such a proposition defines an 'Alt Right' principle, I think they'd admit it.
  • ArcticRoll
    edited 10 March 2019 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Really just reflect how far down the rabbit hole we are on this now.

"I don't think it's right a teacher decides which pupil they offer additional support to based on a characteristic and should instead offer support based on educational need"

Misogyny!

Alt right!

It's bonkers. There hasn't been a single sentence that has made an issue out of the teacher being female. There hasn't been a single post that has suggested that the teacher's gender has influenced her methods, nor has any accusation that the teacher is only doing it because she is female. It's simply been people questioning the methods but because those who want to defend them have nothing else but name calling, you get cries of "misogyny" in a thread where nobody has made the gender of the teacher an issue at all, and allegations that people who think support should be based on educational need is something of the "Alt right"

It really is impressive the lengths people will go and the depths of self-denial they will reach all because they want to avoid like the plague conceding that maybe boys who struggle at the subject should be entitled to extra help too.

A teacher has said that they only offer additional support based on a characteristic of a child and not on educational need. The fact this position is being defended and worse those defending that position are accusing others of supporting right-wing tropes, without a hint of irony, is why things like Brexit happen, I think.
  • nicechap
    edited 10 March 2019 at 11:34AM
    Options
    Clearly touched a nerve.

No doubt I've just gained a new stalker.

EDITED TO ADD. Amusing to see the very conflation and assumptions previously denied being used below.
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • ArcticRoll
    edited 10 March 2019 at 11:41AM
    Options
    Say something you can't back up, then when challenged:

"Clearly touched a nerve"

"I know you are, what am I"

As if you think how this works is that you can say something and anyone who wishes to take issue with it. Misogyny and hard-right political movements are serious things and yes it does 'touch a nerve' when dim people water down their meaning by thinking misogyny means anyone who objects to the actions taken by someone who is female and that 'Alt right' the views of someone on a subject that differ from their own.

Words matter and your obnoxious use of them followed by your David Brent-like "oooh, you're hard" when called out on your poor use and understanding of those words is something I will admit to being irritated by.

Then to accuse the person who you've decided to post in their thread on a subject they've been talking about, who has never initiate conversation with your prior to that point, of being a "stalker"?

Genius.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I have been involved in assessing SEND teaching in various guises for years and I have to say, I too was disturbed by the post by PS. Unless there is more behind her assessment technique than she has disclosed on here, then I suspect she is quite inexperienced in her role. I would say that regardless of gender.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »

Pure Alt Right tactics.

1: they’re using school resources
    2: think you’ll find this is misandry
    3: no-one has suggested these students are disadvantaged; not even pinkshoes
  • stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2019 at 1:16PM
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Saying that, I teach a subject where our girls do far worse than boys, so I run a girls only club at lunch for those that struggle. I aim tontarget specific kids who refuse to ask for help in class. I do allow boys to come though if they ask why it is girls only and really want to come!

I'm shocked that you find this acceptable. I have read that you are doing it to help and it's voluntary. But if the arrogant loud ones turn up for extra help and they are disruptive, surely it's easier for you as an adult to address this matter, than expect a shy male child to ask if they can attend? As a parent I would be furious.

In primary my child's class teacher had a problem with a few kids asking out during class to go to the toilet and have a carry on. He addressed this by banning all pupils from going to the toilet saying they need to go at breaks. I only discovered this when I picked up my shy, quiet, 6yr old and he had messed himself!

Address the problem head on, not skirt round it and allow others to be disadvantaged.
  • ArcticRoll
    edited 10 March 2019 at 6:33PM
    Options
    I'm shocked that you find this acceptable. I have read that you are doing it to help and it's voluntary. But if the arrogant loud ones turn up for extra help and they are disruptive, surely it's easier for you as an adult to address this matter, than expect a shy male child to ask if they can attend? As a parent I would be furious.

In primary my child's class teacher had a problem with a few kids asking out during class to go to the toilet and have a carry on. He addressed this by banning all pupils from going to the toilet saying they need to go at breaks. I only discovered this when I picked up my shy, quiet, 6yr old and he had messed himself!

Address the problem head on, not skirt round it and allow others to be disadvantaged.

Your shy, quiet son would, if struggling in PS's class, not receive any help or support because he's not a girl. Unless of course he asks for it, which is something shy and quiet children tend to struggle with.

I honestly don't understand how a teacher can see that situation as acceptable, much less double down on it when challenged as has been the case here.

Maybe I'm wrong and your concern with your child being treated that way by a teacher is 'misogyny' and additional help your child might need probably means he's 'Alt Right', or something. I think the reason why it has irked me so much is that I completely recognise myself in being the child who is struggling but is too shy to ask for help. Like your son I probably would have wet myself in similar situation. In fact I did on a few occasions when I was similar age, or a bit older than your son I think. And I know for a fact there'd be no chance in hell I'd have had the nerve to challenge the teacher for additional help if I was falling behind in a subject.

The fact someone who has chosen to go into education is perfectly comfortable with that reality and perfectly comfortable with children in her class having that experience, is deeply troubling.
  • nicechap
    Options
    I wonder how much time & effort the outraged contributors have spent trying to redress continuing inequality.

One very simple example.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43385303

If they've lobbied their MPs to disband or open up such an organisation to females I'd be very surprised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport