We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Going abroad for 4 months: what about my mobile contract?

I'm going to Poland for 4 months next year (maybe a bit longer). I have a contract with 3, for £15 a month I get 600 texts and 75 minutes.

I called 3 and asked what would happen in Poland. From what I could understand, I will have to pay the £15 but won't get any of my allowances. And will be charged 25p a minute for calls (presumably that is to landlines).

I'm not expecting to make lots of calls, but I would like a mobile so I can text my friends and family. Would I be better off getting a Polish SIM card when I'm there?

And is there any way out of having to pay the £15, seeing as I will be getting nothing for my money?

Thank you.

Comments

  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You can't get out of paying - could you lend your phone to a trusted person to use whilst you are away?
  • Yeah I may do that, then at least they can make use of the texts and minutes. Maybe they could pay me a token sum so at least I am not losing £15 a month for nothing.

    I won't be earning great money over there so losing £60 from my bank account will pain me :)
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 703
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if you're on a £ 15 contract then you will have to pay the £ 15 wherever you happen to be living or working.

    I'm not a fan of the 3 network but in their defence you can't really expect them to discount your bill just because you won't be using it.

    On a recent trip to Poland I decided to take my 3 phone with me and it couldn't get a signal. This was in Gdansk (one of the bigger cities in Poland). After having phoned customer support in India I was still unable to get the phone working. The annoying thing was I have taken other phones to Poland and never had any problems-the phones have always been able to pick up one of the Polish networks.

    If you have another phone and it is unlocked then buy a Heyah sim card in Poland (found ay many kiosks). This gives you much cheaper calls within Poland although no sure if it would be cheaper to use your 3 phone to call back home...probably not.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 703
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sorry, just had a another idea.

    If you have access to the internet whilst in Poland then use Skype to contact your family in England.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • I know with Orange they will put your contract into abeyance or pause it for the length of time that you are going abroad, so maybe 3 would do the same. It just means that you will get 4 months added on to the end of your contract.
  • I am concerned about my phone not working, although 3 told me apparently they have an agreement with a Polish network. When I took the phone to Prague a few weeks ago, it couldn't get any signal, while an old nokia on o2 picked up the local signal.

    I wouldn't mind extending my contract, at least I could get some use out of the free minutes etc then.

    The trouble is I find it hard to understand the accents from the people at the call centre in India, I have hearing troubles and don't understand. Gah.
  • Oh can someone explain skyp? I will have internet in my flat, got to sort out a laptop though.
  • Skype is just a free program you download from the internet.

    You need speakers and a microphone and you can then use the program to speak to other people who have Skype and are on the internet at the same time.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.