Creditclub MSE verification via Experian question

I’m doing as ML suggests and doing a credit check to see what products I’ve had in the past that may have had PPI. However using the Creditclub MSE tool I get forwarded to Experian which asks 3 questions to verify my identity, the first 2 related to my mortgage provider and payment and the third is “Who provides your credit agreement?”

I have no idea what this means. I’ve called my mortgage provider (building society) who also provides my credit card, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They asked the credit card department, existing mortgages and new mortgages and loans teams an no one had heard of this question before.

Anyone know how to find out this information?

The MSE creditclub Experian site demands I answer this question before proceeding and gives me 5 options to choose from. But none of them look familiar.

Also called Experian and they can’t help me either. So please can someone explain what this question is asking and is it related to the mortgage or something else?

Comments

• It could be related to any form of credit agreement. Your mortgage provider won't know what other credit you have.

Do you not have cards, phones, loans etc with any of the five?
  • dabozuk
    dabozuk Posts: 12 Forumite
    As said the only credit card is with same building society as mortgage.

No other cards to my knowledge. Clearly there is something I have an agreement for but it’s not on my bank statement. And as said I dont recognise any of the 5.
  • Have you accessed your other credit files?
  • dabozuk
    No I’m new to credit checking. I have had loans in the past but have completed as my building society confirmed.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    dabozuk wrote: »
    As said the only credit card is with same building society as mortgage.

No other cards to my knowledge. Clearly there is something I have an agreement for but it’s not on my bank statement. And as said I dont recognise any of the 5.
    As zx81 said, it does not have to be a credit card. It may also be a mobile phone agreement for example. It may also be an associated bank. For example MBNA is now categorised as Lloyds, and First Direct is HSBC.
  • Have you accessed your other credit files?
    No I’m new to credit checking
    Can you log onto Noddle or ClearScore to check which credit account they are referring to? That is what I did...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • dabozuk
    Can you log onto Noddle or ClearScore to check which credit account they are referring to? That is what I did...

Never used those but I’ll have a look.
  • dabozuk
    RG2015 wrote: »
    As zx81 said, it does not have to be a credit card. It may also be a mobile phone agreement for example. It may also be an associated bank. For example MBNA is now categorised as Lloyds, and First Direct is HSBC.

Ah! I wonder if it’s to do with my mobile phone. Thanks will check

But have to say it’s a very unclear question for those new to doing a credit check when the context of all the questions to that point were mortgage related.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ah! I wonder if it’s to do with my mobile phone. Thanks will check

But have to say it’s a very unclear question for those new to doing a credit check when the context of all the questions to that point were mortgage related.
    When I first started, the questions asked by Experian, Equifax and Callcredit were very confusing. I am still convinced that they asked questions about non-existent financial agreements.

PS. Clearscore is the free agency reporting Equifax data and Noddle does the same for Callcredit (now part of TransUnion.

Confusing or what!
  • dabozuk
    Got it! Mobile phone finance through company which is a trading name of one of the 5 options! Good grief that was long winded!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure