Who puts the details against my credit history?

When a company passes information over to the credit agency, who decides that the information is for me?

For example if Scottish Power have an account for someone with the same name as me, but a different address and date of birth, and it displays against my credit report, is it SP telling the CR to put it against my report, or does the CR take the information and decides it’s for me?

I have had numerous issues over the years with someone else’s details appearing on my account, with the latest now resulting in me being declined for a mortgage due to their account being defaulted.

I have raised lots of disputes, but often the company just say it’s correct. They then refuse to talk to me because I’m not an account holder. And round and round in circle I go. So frustrating!

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The details are provided as discrete records to the CRAs and it is the CRAs that decide who the data goes against
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lisa82
    Lisa82 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Great thanks, makes it easier to focus my frustrations on them rather than Scottish Power!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lisa82 wrote: »
    Great thanks, makes it easier to focus my frustrations on them rather than Scottish Power!

Your frustrations (and indeed, demand for compensation) should be directed at Scottish Power for not doing proper due diligence, alongside complaining to the CRA for a data breach. Complain to them and the ICO
  • MallyGirl
    There has been no data breach. It is just a matching algorithm failure that you need to get the CRA to resolve.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • "I have had numerous issues over the years with someone else’s details appearing on my account"

That's a data breach. OP , report it to the ICO.
  • MallyGirl
    If they have the same name then it is a matching issue - that really would not count as a data breach
  • It would be for the other party - but they would have to know about it obviously :)
  • Lisa82
    !!! wrote: »
    It would be for the other party - but they would have to know about it obviously :)

Indeed, I now have their name address, date of birth and some information of their account. Although they have bigger things to worry about with their defaulted accounts!
  • Lisa82
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    If they have the same name then it is a matching issue - that really would not count as a data breach

Thanks, if it is just a matching issue though why do they divert me over to the company when I raise a dispute. Maybe just delay tactics.
    Frustrating all the same!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport