Wood burning stove problems

Options
Hi,
We bought a house in November and had a a multi fuel stove fitted. This was something i have been wanting my entire adult life and now been a home owner was the finally the time to get one.
We had it installed by a Hetas certified installer who is listed on the website.
On completion the fire looked beyond amazing, far better than my wife and i could have wished for, we were over the moon and couldn't praise the team who did it enough.
Unfortunately the after math wasn't quite as pleasant.
No matter what i burn or how i burn i simply cannot get the heat as hot as i have when using burners in cottages, yurts or at friends and families house's.
I have purchased premium wood that my folks use, which provides insane heat quite rapidly at there house but for us a totally different story.
I can sit directly in front stove for hours and not be too warm, where as other stoves i jave experienced i end removing clothing and opening doors due to the heat.

The stove we have is a tiger cleanburn, which was very well reviewed all over the net and is a 5kw like my folks stove.
The fire also burns through wood twice as fast as any stove i used before despite the vents been closed to prevent this.

Has anyone got any tips or ideas on what i could try?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do you have a flue damper ?
    If so, try closing it down a bit.

You could also try contacting the installer for advice (did he supply the stove ?).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2019 at 4:48PM
    Options
    The fire also burns through wood twice as fast as any stove i used before despite the vents been closed to prevent this.

Not all stoves are created equal. The good ones will usually react virtually instantly to changes in the primary and secondary air adjustments. The lesser quality ones will take longer. Sometimes minutes.

If the reduction in airflow is not affecting the burn then you will burn the wood inefficiently and quicker.

When you reduce the airflow do you see the flames change to a slower fluid dance, often with secondary burn around the top of the stove? Or does it remain like a bonfire?

If airflow is not reduced, you would expect the burning wood to glow orange after about an hour and all the ash around it to appear brighter. Really lighting up the room. It would be chucking heat out big time at that stage (and you would want to slow the burn down by reducing airflow).

If your airflow is not giving you the right result then etiher its not a very good stove or the fitting is not optimal. Call your installer and ask them.

If you look at the linked video at 30 seconds, do you get the same effect to the flames when you adjust yours that way? (for most of the video, that wood is burning inefficiently and too quickly. However, it looks good on videos).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Glowing_Embers
    Options
    Unfortunately, it isn't uncommon to experience the warmth and attraction of a wood-burning stove at a friend's or family member's house but once installed in your own home, the results are different. As dunstonh quite rightly said, not all stoves are created equal and if you factor in all the variances in your location that may affect the draw (air patterns, wind direction, tall trees/buildings, length of flue system, flue situation to name but a few), you're not alone in feeling you're not getting the most from your lovely new stove. But don't fear, there are a few basic points to consider which will help troubleshoot this issue:

1) Is your stove sized correctly for the room you wish to heat? 5kw is the best-selling KW of stove in the UK but that doesn't guarantee it is right for your room size. Visit our Output Calculator on Glowing Embers to ensure you have the correct stove for your home.

2) Is the stove body hot to the touch? If the unit itself is getting up to temperature, then the problem is to do with the projection/radiation of the heat created.

3) Is the stove installed into a fireplace? Could the burner be pushed too far back resulting in the majority of your heat being lost up the chimney cavity? This is fairly common and can easily be rectified by pulling the stove out of the recess, giving the heat a chance to radiate into the room instead. Also, the addition of a stove fan on top of your stove (always sited at the back) will assist in propelling warm air forward.

4) Fuel; when you find your stove goes through wood at an incredible rate then this is an indicator the burner is over-drawing so, check the rope seals around the door, glass and anywhere else are in good condition. Just because they came with the stove, does not mean they are the best available and can be easily and cheaply replaced (we can provide guides for this). Also, as others have said, the addition of a damper into the first section of stove pipe could assist as a second form of control over that rate of burn.

I hope the above helps a little but once the cause of the issue is identified, it should be fixable but if you are unhappy, you should always seek the advice of a HETAS registered installer. And please don't ignore the flue system as it is the flue that is the engine of the stove. The flue powers the burner and should always be considered as the source of any issues with a stove.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure