Broadband starter package "over the counter"?

Options
Hi all,

Long time no post!!!!!

I'm trying to set up an older relative on broadband using an existing PC, but without an existing adsl modem (i.e. this needs to come from the broadband provider).

However as I'm only visiting for a small number of days, what we really need is to be able to go to a highstreet shop, sign up for the contract, walk out with all the necessary stuff (i.e. modem, installation disc etc.) rather than wait days for something to be delivered.

Does anyone know if any reputable(ish) provider does over the counter sales?

Thanks in advance,

p3gg

Comments

• mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    unlikely, but your best bet is to buy an ADSL modem - that way you can set it up ready there and then... better if the chosen ISP doesn't provide a modem
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forget modems use a router, no installation discs are required and performance will be better. Order one on-line for next day delivery.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • p3gg
    p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Forget modems use a router, no installation discs are required and performance will be better. Order one on-line for next day delivery.

Thanks espresso. Can I be really dull and ask a bit more about this, i.e.

1. What does a "router" plug into on a PC? (USB? LAN socket? Other?)

2. How does getting hold of a router then relate to signing up for a broadband package with an ISP? Is it a case of sign up online, tell them you're all routered up and be up and running with the broadband quickly? Or are there things that you have to wait for to happen?

3. Are routers sold in shops? And if so do they rhyme with "outer" or "shooter"? (See, I'm at least taking meaures to keep my embarrassing stupidity contained within the confines of this forum :confused: )

p3gg
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    p3gg wrote: »
    Thanks espresso. Can I be really dull and ask a bit more about this, i.e.

1. What does a "router" plug into on a PC? (USB? LAN socket? Other?)

The Ethernet port (LAN) which is better suited for an internet connection than a USB port that modems usually use.

2. How does getting hold of a router then relate to signing up for a broadband package with an ISP? Is it a case of sign up online, tell them you're all routered up and be up and running with the broadband quickly? Or are there things that you have to wait for to happen?

Some ISP's offer free modems/routers but if you buy your own, you simply need to enter the username/password that is allocated to you by your chosen ISP, when they provide ADSL on your line, so yes you can easily apply on-line.

3. Are routers sold in shops? And if so do they rhyme with "outer" or "shooter"? (See, I'm at least taking meaures to keep my embarrassing stupidity contained within the confines of this forum :confused: )

p3gg

Yes they are sold in the shops like PC World, who occasionally have offers on. Here is a selection of wireless routers (as in shooters) suitable for ADSL. (broadband over a BT line rather than a cable provider)
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • p3gg
    p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    ...you simply need to enter the username/password that is allocated to you by your chosen ISP, when they provide ADSL on your line...

This is useful, thank you. Roughly how long does it take these days to get ADSL activated on a BT line where it's not been used previously? It's a number of years since we set it up on our own phoneline, so I can't remember how long it took, and in any case I daresay the timescales might have changed a bit..?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    p3gg wrote: »
    Roughly how long does it take these days to get ADSL activated on a BT line where it's not been used previously?

If you pay by card most ISP's quote between 5 to 10 days from receipt of payment, if you want to pay direct debit then there is the additional time it takes it takes to set this up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure