We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LISA or Pension to save for my child?

2»

Comments

  • liamcas
    liamcas Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2019 at 7:58PM
    Ok makes sense thanks.

    So if I grow the fund up to 600k by working a few extra years after taking the 50k I'm ultimately entitled to 150k tax free meaning 450k will end up crystallised and I'll draw that as tax efficient income once I stop working?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,889
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So if I grow the fund up to 600k by working a few extra years after taking the 50k I'm ultimately entitled to 150k tax free meaning 450k will end up crystallised and I'll draw that as tax efficient income once I stop working?

    Your pension pot is segmented into uncrystallised funds and crystallised funds. You can only take a maximum of 25% against your uncrystallised funds.


    So, if your uncrystallised pot is 500k and you crystallise £200k to draw £50k tax free, you will have two pots. A crystallised pot of £150k which you can never draw a tax free amount again (caveats apply in respect of death and personal allowance) regardless of what that part grows to. And you will have £300k uncrystallised where you can draw 25% whatever that grows to.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2019 at 10:41PM
    liamcas wrote: »
    Ok makes sense thanks.

    So if I grow the fund up to 600k by working a few extra years after taking the 50k I'm ultimately entitled to 150k tax free meaning 450k will end up crystallised and I'll draw that as tax efficient income once I stop working?
    There's one more thing you need to be aware of. After you've taken money out from your pension in certain ways, your future pension contributions will be subject to the lower £4k annual allowance. This may become a problem if you earns more than £4k in the higher rate tax band.

    https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-private-pension/annual-allowance

    As the rule said, as long as you don't do UFPLS, flexi-access drawdown, etc. you will be fine.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,467
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mr.Saver wrote: »
    There's one more thing you need to be aware of. After you've taken money out from your pension in certain ways, your future pension contributions will be subject to the lower £4k annual allowance. This may become a problem if you earns more than £4k in the higher rate tax band.

    https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-private-pension/annual-allowance

    As the rule said, as long as you don't do UFPLS, flexi-access draw down, etc. you will be fine.
    No, they won't. As long as no more than the 25% of the crystallised amount is withdrawn, i.e. the £150k remains within the pension wrapper in a crystallised form.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

    Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    No, they won't. As long as no more than the 25% of the crystallised amount is withdrawn, i.e. the £150k remains within the pension wrapper in a crystallised form.
    "in certain ways" is the key here. Access the 25% tax free lump sum is OK, but if anyone goes further and take the money from the remaining 75% via a flexi-access drawdown, then the 4k limit will apply. Of course you can also touch the 75% without affecting the annual allowance - try caped drawdown or lifetime annuity.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.