We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LISA or Pension to save for my child?

Ok, I'm 39 and recently became a Dad. I'll be 60 when my child turns 21 and I want to save around £50k that I can use, at my discretion to help my daughter.

As a 40% tax payer I know that the most tax efficient choice right now is to pay more into my pension pot as it outweighs the 25% gain I'll get from the LISA. The convenience of the LISA is I can take the cash tax free at 60, without touching my pension.

If I use the pension route, when I reach retirement age, can I take the 50k from my pension pot and leave the rest? Would that class as my tax free lump sum?

I don't plan on retiring at 60 but don't want to lose my opportunity to make tax free withdrawals in the future. Can anyone tell me how to efficiently withdraw pension in chunks when I teach retirement age?

Thanks
«1

Comments

  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 10,561
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2019 at 4:45PM
    We do both - pay enough into the pension to get down to basic rate and then pay into our LISAs from basic rate income. Our employer operates salary sacrifice so the LISA bonus works out about the same as the tax+NI saving but at least the LISA doesn't count towards my LTA.

    In terms of investing for children we will use some of our LISAs to help them with a property deposit and recycle the rest into my younger wife's pension (assuming she is still under the LTA) from when I am 60 untill she is 75.

    The problem is that the money won't be available for university costs at age 18 so we are also using JISA and S&S ISAs. Still we are lucky to have a small mortgage so much of our income can be invested.

    Alex
  • liamcas
    liamcas Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi Alex, thanks.

    I still have lots of room to pay into my pension at the 40% rate.

    Can we only take one tax free lump sum from the pension when we reach eligible age?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 46,084
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you opened a JISA for your child?

    This would belong to the child who would have the right to access at 18 but you can hope to have instilled sensible savings habits?

    https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts
  • liamcas
    liamcas Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2019 at 4:21PM
    It's either pension or S&S LISA (I know there is a risk there) . This will leave me better off than a JISA from what I understand. I'm happy to be corrected though!

    I just need to understand the taxation implications around tapping into my pension pot at around 60 years of age. It may mean I'm better off using the LISA route...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,884
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As a 40% tax payer I know that the most tax efficient choice right now is to pay more into my pension pot as it outweighs the 25% gain I'll get from the LISA. The convenience of the LISA is I can take the cash tax free at 60, without touching my pension.

    Your pension is accessible at 55.

    Being a higher rate taxpayer, the 40% higher rate relief equates to 66.6667% bonus.
    So, the pension is almost certainly going to beat LISA.
    If I use the pension route, when I reach retirement age, can I take the 50k from my pension pot and leave Ythe rest? Would that class as my tax free lump sum?

    You can take what you like. 25% would be tax free. 75% taxable.

    Are you being restricted on child benefit? If yes, then the pension can reduce your income and qualify you for higher or full child benefit again.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 10,561
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Your pension is accessible at 55.

    Given the announced increase to 58 and future increases in life expectancy it might be prudent for the OP to expect the pension to be accessible at the same time as the LISA age 60.

    Alex
  • liamcas
    liamcas Posts: 32 Forumite
    So if I pay into my pension instead of the LISA, let's say my pension pot at 60 is £500k

    If I want to extract the 50k I've put in for my child, would I need to take my 25% lump sum from the pension? This is the bit that's confusing me because I plan to keep working after I take the 50k out.

    I don't want to save 40% now only to be taxed 20% at 60 years of age to take it back. I'd be better taking the LISA option now if that ended up being the case.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,884
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I want to extract the 50k I've put in for my child, would I need to take my 25% lump sum from the pension?

    No. The 25% is not required to be accessed all up front. If you wanted £50k out you would crystallise just enough to draw the £50k.

    So, crystallise £200k of the pension, draw £50k leaving you £150k crystallised and the rest of the fund uncrystallised.
    This is the bit that's confusing me because I plan to keep working after I take the 50k out.

    Which is fine as long as you do not access any of the 75% chunk.
    I don't want to save 40% now only to be taxed 20% at 60 years of age to take it back. I'd be better taking the LISA option now if that ended up being the case.

    You wouldn't be. However, even if you did access the crystallised bit, it would still beat LISA. Plus, do not forget that the pension is outside of the estate. Having £500k at that time may well be an issue if it's within your estate.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • liamcas
    liamcas Posts: 32 Forumite
    Thanks but if I took 200k out that would be 40% of the pot. Aren't I only entitled to 25% tax free?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 10,561
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You would be crystallising £200k within the pension and drawing out the 25% tax free. The remaining £150k would still be in the pension. Crystallised money is kept separate as you can no longer have a 25% tax free on it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.