Bmw Recalled for 5 weeks - What are my rights?

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im just gobsmacked its taking them so long

We got the letter the week after Christmas, I rang and booked an appointment that suited me, 3 weeks later the car was collected, we got a x5 in return for a few hours till ours was returned, sorted and valeted
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dean000000 wrote: »
    Your beef is with bmw, the car manufacturer. You bought this car from them.
    No, his purchase contract would have been with the franchised dealer, not BMW UK - the importer - and certainly not BMW Germany, the manufacturer.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Your logic is ridiculous.

Let's forget that it's a BMW, let's pretend it's a Bentley, 6 years old with a similar issue. The owner has just been chucked into Ford Mondeo and you would be the equivalent of saying 'The Ford brand new is the same as what the Bentley is now worth, so they are being totally fair putting you in a Ford."

The fact that every thread to do with this issue doesn't contain any discussion around the rights of someone in a PCP agreement in such a situation is a testament to how toxic the community is.

The very fact that you were posting about delay repay because your train (like my car) was disrupted (like my car) and you were forced to use busses instead (like my courtesy car) which left you unhappy and feeling that you weren't getting what you had paid for (like me) is pure hypocrisy. Imagine you had to take the bus for 5 weeks and were told to pay your train fares, and try telling me that you shouldn't get compensation despite them offering 'alternate transport' and 'keeping you mobile'

47150571961_2437424773.jpg
  • BadBMWservice
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    I've been a member for nearly a year. I usually reside in the motoring section, and while this forum can be a helpful place, it is also usually one of the most inhospitable places on the internet. I have to wonder how many new posters stay.

^ From one of your previous posts.

Honestly, if you can't see you're the problem then you have a problem.

Thanks to anyone who has contributed in a way that has helped provide me with any other information other than what I had uncovered. As someone who works in the trade I would have hoped that there would have been others more legally enlightened, instead there's seems to be people in the same situation as me and threads filled with members who seem to bump up their total posts by trolling the threads.
  • Mercdriver
    edited 20 February 2019 at 5:33PM
    Options
    ^ From one of your previous posts.

Honestly, if you can't see you're the problem then you have a problem.

Thanks to anyone who has contributed in a way that has helped provide me with any other information other than what I had uncovered. As someone who works in the trade I would have hoped that there would have been others more legally enlightened, instead there's seems to be people in the same situation as me and threads filled with members who seem to bump up their total posts by trolling the threads.

You are the one that lashed out first, don't forget. I haven't lashed out at all. You just got answers that were not the ones you were looking for and lashed out. If you come on here with a resolution already decided why bother posting about it?

You seem more interested in finding out what people have posted previously than actually looking for a solution. You will have had to search quite hard for that quote. well done, clap clap clap. Take a bow.

I stand by all the advice I have given. You are not renting the car you are using a purchase instrument and unless there is something in the contract that entitles you to compensation, then you will not get any. A Personal Contract Hire would give you more armoury in this instance. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Don't like it? By all means try and take it to court. But remember lawyers get paid win or lose.
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    Whilst potentially not the answer I want, this is still useful - Do you know where I can find out more about the responsibilities of a manufacturer/finance provider in such a case?

The second part is subjective - Whilst mechanicaly there's nothing wrong, from a performance perspective its inadequate for the long (4+ hrs) trips that I do through work. The seats are causing me back pain and there's no Heads up Display, which I would consider as a safety feature.

A head up display is not a safety feature, it can be useful but it's still a gimmick. You should be used to the sort of speed you are doing and if you are on a long drive and using sat nav then you should research the route in advance. Something I always do and I always have a map book in the car. You never know when the route you are on is blocked by a major accident and it's always a good idea to have an idea of the route you are following.

A lot of the toys in cars - and yes my CX5 has a few too - have made people lazy.

If the seats in the car aren't supportive enough, get hold of cushions designed for this. You could always try and get this reimbursed from BMW UK if you keep the cost down. I would see that as a reasonable expense, though they might not.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    You've had constructive answers in posts #3, #4, #5, #10, #13, #14, #15, #16, #18, #21, #22, #25, #28, #33, #36 and #37. Most of those in between are your own so I don't know the reason for your rather petulant addition to your original post.

You don't like the answers because they're not what you wanted to hear? Fine. Pay for legal advice and proceed accordingly.
  • indianabones
    Options
    I also got the recall letter and arranged to drop my 520d off at one of the local BMW dealerships today.

Apparently mine is one of the unlucky cars that has a leak so will need to wait for them to sort it out. I've just come off the phone and apparently they're sorting out a hire car with Enterprise rentals, but I'm going to see where this takes me.

It's not the best time for me financially either, just spending the best part of 3k on a new driveway.
  • Mercdriver
    edited 20 February 2019 at 6:11PM
    Options
    I also got the recall letter and arranged to drop my 520d off at one of the local BMW dealerships today.

Apparently mine is one of the unlucky cars that has a leak so will need to wait for them to sort it out. I've just come off the phone and apparently they're sorting out a hire car with Enterprise rentals, but I'm going to see where this takes me.

It's not the best time for me financially either, just spending the best part of 3k on a new driveway.

Are you on a HP, or PCP or a lease (PCH)?

As I have stated on the latter if you are on a lease, so long term personal car hire then I think you would have a strong case for the difference between the rental and an equivalent rental for the car you end up with. That is because you are never buying car and you are renting a specific vehicle. With PCP, even if you intend handing the car back it is a method of purchasing so just as you would have to keep paying a loan on a major piece of white goods that you are buying that is in for repair, you would have to keep paying repayments on the goods - ie the car.

I think this is one of the consequences of the confusion between financial products. People think that because they are on a PCP that it is a form of lease or rental because they have no intentions of keeping the car at the end of the term. It is a deferred payment loan which is used to purchase the car, not rent it.

As I have said to the OP, you can certainly try and get some form of compensation, but I doubt very much this will be successful unless enough owners get together and use that as leverage on BMW UK Customer Services to do something by way of goodwill.

Ignore the suggestions of the OP that victims of this should be entitled to not pay their repayments. That is not a solution that will held as a reasonable one in court.
  • indianabones
    Options
    Apologies for never responding to you mercdriver. I don't have notifications set up.

My car is a 2012 model 5 series and I bought it 2nd hand. I'm not on any financial plan. Had a text from BMW today saying still no news on the parts and tomorrow it'll be 2 weeks since they've had my car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure