Delay for a new car - what are my rights?

Options
I recently placed an order and paid a deposit for a new vehicle which had an estimated handover date 31/03/19. When the franchise has placed the order with the manufacturer it has been highlighted that the vehicle will not be available until summer 2019 (no specific date) due to a couple of options that were included.

This is a problem for me as I do not have a car and will need one from April onwards. I not happy just to rip up the agreement (yet) as it is exactly what we had wanted (including the spec that is causing the delay).

No doubt there is some legalise wording in the contract that will state that the estimated date is not binding but what are my rights in this situation (other than just a refund)? I have an agreement with the franchise and paid a deposit – I am not changing anything but unless they provide a courtesy car I could be without transport for months.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have placed an order.
    You were given an estimated delivery date.
    That delivery date has been refined.
    Your car will be being built to your order, not from stock already in production or in transit. What is it, and where is it built? Perhaps those options are not in production currently.

If you want it more quickly, change your order to not include the options, so you can get a car from stock.
  • True_Blues
    Options
    Adrian - thanks for the quick response. It's the new Evoke. I could change the order to get it more quickly but it seems a shame to spend this amount of money and not get the spec we wanted (and agreed).

I was more wondering what the dealer's obligations are?
  • Cetshwayo
    Options
    Has your Evoke been Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure
    type approved with your specific change in spec?

If not it will be joining the queue..

https://www.euronews.com/2019/02/15/european-car-sales-drop-4-point-6-percent-in-january-acea

Your dealer's obligation will be to deliver the car when they can, alternatively you can speak to the dealer and find a way to get an altered spec delivered in your time frame. (You may be able to cancel the order. )

You won't be getting a courtesy car.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, the new Evoque? Only launched a month or two ago - it's no wonder that there's delays in some specs, then.

The dealer's obligations are to supply you with the car you ordered, if possible. If not, then you can either negotiate a different spec or get your deposit back.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    True_Blues wrote: »
    Adrian - thanks for the quick response. It's the new Evoke. I could change the order to get it more quickly but it seems a shame to spend this amount of money and not get the spec we wanted (and agreed).

I was more wondering what the dealer's obligations are?

What rare option have you gone for, build quality?
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options

The rarest - model name spelt incorrectly. They'll have to make a new template for the badge.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options

That was removed from the options list in 1989 when they launched the Discovery.
  • True_Blues
    Options

On my Evoque it's the "Driver assist pack" that includes:

Blind Spot Assist, 360º Surround Camera, Clear Exit Monitor, AdaptiveCruise Control with Steering Assist, High-speed Emergency Braking, Park Assist, 360º Parking Aid and Rear Traffic Monitor

I understand that the sliding panoramic roof is also an issue (but I didn't spec that)

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,693 Forumite
    Options
    What outcome are you hoping for?

To get the car earlier? To get a courtesy car? Discount?
    None of that will happen.

To change the spec for an earlier delivery? Almost certainly an option.
    To cancel the order and get your deposit back? Pretty likely.

Unfortunately, if you want that particular car you're going to have to wait until it's ready. LR may be able to lease you something in the mean time, but you'd need to discuss that with them.

Why do you have no car from April? Current lease/PCP running out? Can you just extend it until the new car is ready?
  • True_Blues
    Options
    Thanks Herzlos (and everyone). You make some valid & impartial points.

I'm currently abroad and will be returning to the UK, hence why I do not have a car.

I could change the spec but would be unhappy to spend this much money and not get what I want (it's a true first world problem!). I don't see a problem with getting my deposit back, but then I need to hunt for another car, place order etc...

Getting the car earlier is not an option (it's what has caused the problem) and I believe that I've already got the best price I will get so no further discount. A courtesy car would fix the issue, this was offered at point of sale if there was a delay - but this was intended for a short delay. It would be great if JLR step up and offer me one but I sense that it is highly unlikely. I guess that this is the answer to your first question, as I say highly unlikely but would certainly keep the sale and be great customer service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure