Options
124»

Comments

• DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keverso wrote: »
    This issue here is that it was a small repair. They also informed me that they had done this repair thereby making the tablet into a working device worth it's higher market value.

Even if they were unable to do the repair I could have claimed the refund and sent it to another place to get the repair redone. This is now no longer possible because of the damage they did.
    No not really.
    Their liability (if proven) is probably just the repair cost you paid, which you may still be able to get back from Paypal and the cost to repair any damage they caused. However, their liability will be capped at the purchase price of a replacement tablet.

Without knowing what Tablet it was and how much a replacement would be it is difficult to know if you're better off just claiming the repair cost back and moving on but if I were you, I'd get some free legal advice first.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Their liability is the cost of that model tablet in the original (unrepaired) condition, plus the repair cost. (IMHO)
  • hybernia
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Their liability is the cost of that model tablet in the original (unrepaired) condition, plus the repair cost. (IMHO)

Agreed. The OP needs to be specific in a civil claim, and understand the core issue upon which the claim is based.

The repair price charged by the eBay seller is refundable by eBay/PayPal under the terms of that transaction's contract. The OP has no reason to refuse that refund. It will restore the OP's wallet to the position it was in before the repair price was paid.

At issue is the value of the item now in the condition it is now.

The OP has not said if the damage arising is rectifiable, or what quotes have been received in regard to the cost of rectification. The OP has not said what the market value of the tablet was immediately before it ceased to function. The OP has not said what the estimated market value of the tablet is now that it has been damaged. The OP has not said if the tablet is to all intents and purposes now a write-off, i.e., it's worth £50 by value of its parts but needs £150 to fix it. The OP has not said what figure he as plaintiff has in mind for the court to consider and the defendant to contest.

As it's all a bit woolly, the advice given earlier here is the best: the OP should contact a local legal practice before doing anything else. There should be at least one which offers a 30-minute consultation at no charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure