Plasterer asked for money for materials up front for small job tomorrow

Options
Hi,

Having made an initial estimate a week ago I am due to have a plasterer round tomorrow morning to do a small bit of work on 2 walls in my flat. The quote is just under £500.

I just contacted him to double check he's still on to come over at 9am tomorrow and he's said yes and asked me to pay him some money up front for materials. The amound he's asked for is around 40% of the total cost.

I've have an electrician and a few other labourers in over the last 2 years but havent had to pay anyone up front before and I know with larger projects this is often seen as a bad move.

Any recommendations of a way forward? Should I refuse? Should I offer a lower amount as a particular % of the job?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• brewthebear
    Options
    No decent workman will want money up front tell him youll pay when hes completed job
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say no.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    Pay him what he asks by all means, but don't complain when he does a bunk with your cash..........
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You've got to wonder at just how good tradesman are if they don't have enough cash flow to pay up front for materials themselves.
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2019 at 4:58PM
    Options
    What work's he doing exactly? If 40% are for materials then price doesn't seem too bad but if it's for a couple of bags of plaster it sounds a bit steep.

Wouldn't pay up front either way.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Sorry. Too short notice .... "
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    You've got to wonder at just how good tradesman are if they don't have enough cash flow to pay up front for materials themselves.

Yes, 99% of the time .... but, he might've just been stiffed ... or might've been "too kind" in the past and is now owed a lot of money and reached the "desperate/can't trust anybody for awhile" stage. Or, he might've just come from "a big job" involving invoices and companies and is waiting for their monthly cheque run.

It's tempting to think "dodgy geezer", but that might not always be the full picture.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »

Maybe they haven't been paid by others for work they completed, and don't want to be burnt again - over and over?

I wonder how many times the tradesman have bought stuff for a job only to told that they got someone else for the job, or to not get paid for it in the end?

Ask if he takes payment by Credit Card, and then you are both covered if something goes wrong
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree that a tradesman should not need money up front for materials a modest job, but ... Some have had their 'fingers burnt' with non payers so will request some money up front from a new customer.

The plumbers who replaced my immersion heater asked for 50% cash at the start of the day and 50% cash on completion of the job. In fact they did not take anything up front, just wanted to know that the money was there! :p

Not as dumb as it sounds: my key worker was involved at every stage, from identifying a trustworthy company to being present on the day.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask him to list out what he material he want.

You then go to shop with him and purchase the materials directly.
    So the materials is your properties not his.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure