Kennel deposit refund

Options
I visited a local kennels (14th January 2019) with a view to booking in my 2 Labrador dogs in the summer. I felt somewhat pressured to book them as availability was limited and needed to ensure we had cover for the holiday. I was requested to pay £145 (30%) as a deposit (debit card payment) and did so.

During the evening of the same day my wife and I became concerned that the shared kennel enclosure would be too small and the exercise area insufficient for our dogs needs.

I contacted the kennels the following day (less than 18 hours later) and they said they would refund the deposit at the end of the month and to contact them then and they would arrange the refund. I have the email correspondence.

I tried contacting them by email and telephone over 2 to 3 days and had no reply. I eventually managed to speak to them by telephone this week and was told that they would not now refund the deposit. I asked them why and they said it was their policy not to despite written confirmation that they would.

I told them if I did not get confirmation that they would refund within a couple of days I would seek legal advice. I have not heard anything and so I am looking for suggestions on what I do next.

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Send a letter before action (google it), and if they don't pay up use moneyclaimonline. Use the email as part of your evidence.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What terms and conditions did you agree to with regards to the deposit when you paid?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure