BT Monopoly of Fibre To The Home ?

Options

Comments

• liselle
    liselle Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know what the cost of breaking a BT Broadband contract is? I have internet and l/line (l/line is necessary for work) and even without making any 'phone calls, it's £60 month.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    liselle wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the cost of breaking a BT Broadband contract is? I have internet and l/line (l/line is necessary for work) and even without making any 'phone calls, it's £60 month.
    Whatever the monthly cost of the contract is multiplied by the number of months left on the minimum term. They may reduce it if they are feeling generous when you phone to cancel.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Whatever the monthly cost of the contract is multiplied by the number of months left on the minimum term. They may reduce it if they are feeling generous when you phone to cancel.

Or wait for a price rise and leave FOC.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

It'll cost the same as yesterday when you asked minus 1 day:- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75412093#post75412093
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Or wait for a price rise and leave FOC.

AFAIK, BT recently announced that any new price increases will now be based on 'inflation' ( CPI or RPI) , and as such It's quite possible that these rises won't be considered a material disadvantage , and therefore not a good enough reason to be allowed to leave penalty free.
  • liselle
    liselle Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you Colin - I am new to this and thought I'd posted in the wrong forum the first time.
    But your reply was oh-so-helpful.......
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you Colin - I am new to this and thought I'd posted in the wrong forum the first time.
    But your reply was oh-so-helpful.......

Could have checked for replies to your previous question.
  • Bec_Moz
    Options
    Hi I have been searching the forum for someone with this issue!!! My mum is in exactly the same position, either BT FTTP or slow broadband! I have gone through all the FTTP providers and none are offering their service in her area so she is stuck paying over £60 a month for phone and fibre.
    If anyone has any solutions it would be greatly appreciated.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bec_Moz wrote: »
    Hi I have been searching the forum for someone with this issue!!! My mum is in exactly the same position, either BT FTTP or slow broadband! I have gone through all the FTTP providers and none are offering their service in her area so she is stuck paying over £60 a month for phone and fibre..

Which FTTP Providers have you tried?

A partial list of FTTP Providers using the Openreach FTTP is found at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-it-now

Also look at IDNET and Freeola

But all the cheap ISPs refuse to use Openreach FTTP as the costs are high. So you can only choose from those companies that offer it.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2019 at 10:40PM
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Which FTTP Providers have you tried?

A partial list of FTTP Providers using the Openreach FTTP is found at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-it-now

Also look at IDNET and Freeola

But all the cheap ISPs refuse to use Openreach FTTP as the costs are high. So you can only choose from those companies that offer it.

Have a look at the Openreach price list, the wholesale price for 80/20Mb is exactly the same on FTTP as FTTC, given that the complaint is about some providers chosing not to offer service over FTTP , but those providers do offer service over FTTC , therefore 'price' cannot be the issue....much more likely is that these providers use MPF/LLU and don't want to go back to WLR
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure