Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

Don't fall for high-data deals - most users need less than 3GB a month - MSE News

New Post Advanced Search

Don't fall for high-data deals - most users need less than 3GB a month - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
10 replies 1.2K views
MSE_NaomiMSE_Naomi MSE Staff
448 posts
Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
Over two-thirds of mobile phone customers use less than 3GB of data a month, a poll of MoneySavingExpert users has revealed - as new analysis from Citizens Advice warns £800 million is wasted each year on unused data...
Read the full story:
'Don't fall for high-data deals - most users need less than 3GB a month'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hear my colleagues talking about having plans with 10GB, 50GB or even 100GB of data each month. I have no idea how they could possibly use this much data.

I commute about 1hr each way, most weekdays and struggle to get through 1GB each month, despite being glued to my phone for nearly my entire commute.

• Frozen_up_northFrozen_up_north Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Equally if on a low data contract be careful to either have a spending cap, or a contract that stops data use when you use all the allowance.

The idea of having a phone/network capable of 50~70 Mb/s and not using data when out and about seems pointless to me, isn’t that what smart phones and 4G are all about?
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched an episode of The Grand Tour on my phone yesterday, the data used was around 3GB iirc.

Do that a couple of times a week and see how far that small allowance goes...
    ====
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I hear my colleagues talking about having plans with 10GB, 50GB or even 100GB of data each month. I have no idea how they could possibly use this much data.

I commute about 1hr each way, most weekdays and struggle to get through 1GB each month, despite being glued to my phone for nearly my entire commute.

not streaming video I assume though.
  • edited 31 January 2019 at 8:06PM
    pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 January 2019 at 8:06PM
    I wish journos would stop rehashing press releases as news.

It's usually much better for a consumer to buy a little more data than they need. It's almost always cheaper to buy more data and not use it than to use data outside your bundle. Certainly, my own usage, as a smartphone user of 10+ years, can still vary wildly - but I've chosen a network that suits my needs, does refund me for unused data, and buying additional data costs the same out of bundle as within it.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    custardy wrote: »
    not streaming video I assume though.

No, I normally download at home or work over wifi.

• custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glider3560 wrote: »
    No, I normally download at home or work over wifi.

so thats wheres chunks of data go.
    I have 90GB on a £27 a month deal (after cashback) including free spotify
    So I dont need to worry about data.
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My unlimited data (with 600 minutes/unlimited texts) costs me £12 a month. I bet there are some of these 1GB to 4GB customers paying a similar amount for their tiny allowances.
    ====
  • glider3560 wrote: »

Lol, I use over 300gb each month cancelled my home broadband fibre paying three UK £10 hotspot the whole house with a 4g router on the weekends
  • edited 1 February 2019 at 12:54PM
    Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 February 2019 at 12:54PM
    People just cancel their home broadband and move to these massive data tariff.
    It could work out cheaper