PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I am a lodger and have recently found out that my landlady is still claiming 25% CT discount

Options
I have been living in this property with the landlady since October 2016 but did not sign an agreement as she didn't provide one. She originally told me she would, but it never materialized. As I am about to move out, we were having a conversation about the length of notice I have to give as there isn't a written agreement defining an actual period. I do however, have bank statements and emails confirming that I have lived there. During this conversation, she let slip that she didn't want a written agreement as this would mean that there would be written confirmation about her having a lodger and therefore she would lose her 25% council tax discount. From this I concluded that she hasn't been paying any HMRC tax on the income either.

This worries me as I don`t want to be hit with a bill by her when/if she gets caught. So I wanted to ask, would it be my responsibility or hers to pay the council tax and income tax?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2019 at 12:53PM
    Options
    1) Notice
    With no agreed notice period, it must be 'reasonable'. A rule of thumb is 1 week's notice if rent is paid weekly, or 1month if rent is monthly.

2) Income tax / HMRC.
    The rent-a-room scheme here allows landlords to receive rent from lodgers without either declaring orpaying tax.

3) council tax
    The 25% discount is being fraudulently claimed if you are correct. The fraud is by the LL, not you. Whether you choose toreport fraud to the council is up to you.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    You now know she is a cheat and a crook:. Unpatriotic IMHO.

I don't knowingly do business with crooks or cheats. In your shoes I'd move out & grass her up. Wonder what else she is fiddling - bet there's more.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lakeboat12 wrote: »
    From this I concluded that she hasn't been paying any HMRC tax on the income either.

This worries me as I don`t want to be hit with a bill by her when/if she gets caught. So I wanted to ask, would it be my responsibility or hers to pay the council tax and income tax?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you, if you feel its warranted, I would report the landlord to the council a few months after leaving.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lakeboat12 wrote: »
    I have been living in this property with the landlady since October 2016 but did not sign an agreement as she didn't provide one. She originally told me she would, but it never materialized. As I am about to move out, we were having a conversation about the length of notice I have to give as there isn't a written agreement defining an actual period.- a written agreement isnt' necessary, irrelevant, what did you agree re notice even if verbally at the outset? If you really didn't agree anything then notice should be 'reasonable', usually in line with licence / rent periods. eg if you pay monthly then 1 month.
    I do however, have bank statements and emails confirming that I have lived there. During this conversation, she let slip that she didn't want a written agreement as this would mean that there would be written confirmation about her having a lodger - an agreement doesn't get automatically sent anywhere more than bank statements or emails.. the paper trail is about the same with / without the agreement. and therefore she would lose her 25% council tax discount. - assuming she's not a student or otherwise excused from council tax, this is fraud. From this I concluded that she hasn't been paying any HMRC tax on the income either. - you don't know that, and unless the rent was more than £7,500 per year, she wouldn't owe HMRC anything anyway.

This worries me as I don`t want to be hit with a bill by her when/if she gets caught. So I wanted to ask, would it be my responsibility or hers to pay the council tax and income tax? - neither are your responsibility: as occupier & owner, she is higher on the CT heirachy than you, so you have no liability for council tax. As a landlord resident in UK, she is always liable for her own income tax so nothing to do with you.

Thanks in advance.

Notice should be 'reasonable' ie equal to a rent period in the absence of any agreement.

Council tax & income tax both NOT your responsibility, so don't worry about any liability on you. Its up to you if you want to report her (note the income tax may be £0 under rent a room scheme unless rent is over £7500.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would report them for council tax.

Where have you been regisrted to vote? Surely this would bring up a red flag, every year I get a form to confirm occupants living here who are regisrted to vote.
  • lakeboat12
    Options
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    I would report them for council tax.

Where have you been regisrted to vote? Surely this would bring up a red flag, every year I get a form to confirm occupants living here who are regisrted to vote.

I was at my parents during the 2017 election so voted there but haven't seen any form come through regarding registering, unless she`s disposed of them.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would phone or write to the council giving them notice that you are moving out, just so that you won't be responsible for council tax any more...

Do this the day you leave.

Ohps! What do they mean you aren't on the council tax??? But you've been living there since Oct 2016! Of course you'll confirm it in writing...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • alfred64
    alfred64 Posts: 4,991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You were told in confidence. Keep it to yourself. No liability to you. If the council do find out about her discount it's her problem. What benefit would it be to you by dropping her in it?
  • lakeboat12
    Options
    alfred64 wrote: »
    You were told in confidence. Keep it to yourself. No liability to you. If the council do find out about her discount it's her problem. What benefit would it be to you by dropping her in it?

It`s fraud.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You do self registration. If you had she would have been red flagged by the council.

I was red flagged about 4 months after moving into my place. I bought in December, went into electoral register straight away and in about April received a very strong worded mail about why I was claiming the discount when there was another person registered at the address. The other individual was the man I bought the flat from who hadn’t registered at his new place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure