Barclay PPI time barred?

Options
Just a quick question, Barclay sent me a letter in 2014 saying I may have been mis-sold PPI. I sent a letter last week and received reply today saying I am time barred as they say I had 3 years from 2014 to reply (I didn't because of health and family issues). Is this the case.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it is.

3 year rule gives you 3 years to complain from when you knew, or should reasonably have known, you had a complaint reason - you did know, you were invited to complain, you chose not to, your complaint is over.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jthey say I had 3 years from 2014 to reply (I didn't because of health and family issues).
    You'd have to have very compelling "health and family issues" not to write a simple letter of complaint in three years. I very much doubt your issues would prevent you from complaining for three whole years.
    Sorry.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The FOS would ask you why you did not raise your complaint at any time in, not just the 3 year period, but the whole 5 year period since. If you are claiming incapacity to do so, then they would expect you to account for the whole 5 year period. Not just a bit of it.

Timebars are rarely overruled. Death and proper incapacity being the main cases.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure