PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I Report Neighbours Landlord?

Options
Hello im wondering if anyone can help us out with this one where my mother's been living for past 3 years there's been 5 different lots of people living next door to her in that time it's been hell for my family from drug dealers to alcoholics, needles to Windows being smashed basically just a place where you do not want to live and your kids playing it's beyond reason now and something needs to be done the landlord who owns the place does not care at all who he moves in or what goes on aslongs he's getting money in his pocket the place is a total dumbing ground i live in wales now but i worry for my little sister and my family being around all this up england and its sad :( the landlord is a total disgrace its not the once but 4 out 5 times it's been drug dens for whoever he moves in so I'm asking is there anyway to report this landlord?

Comments

• PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    The only solution would be to move.

The council and police aren't likely to do anything, and if the neighbors find out who's complaining it will create more of a mess.

Is your mum renting?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    report away, what's going to change? I'd like to bet landlord would prefer a nice middle class couple with a goldfish, house is probably a dump, area presumably run down?
  • Smi1er
    Smi1er Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    Have you ever thought that the owner may rent to the council on a 5 year contract and has no control over who moves in?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Five lots of tenants in three years.

Even if the landlord is responsible for selecting tenants himself, that sounds like they're leaving/being evicted at pretty much the first possible legal opportunity - six months.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is not a LL duty to uphold the law.
    The police must take action, but only when the law is being broken. If they do not complain to your chief constable, local councilor and your MP.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 January 2019 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Richie86 wrote: »
    Can I Report Neighbours Landlord?
    Of course, to Police & council. Or MP , MEP whoever. But you'd be better reporting the people causing the problem.

Police/Council have the power to shut the place down see for example this one in Croydon, noise...
    http://news.croydon.gov.uk/two-years-noise-nuisance-leads-to-closure-order-on-flat/

- but it's complicated & takes time...

Have you reported the issue to Police & council, if not why not, please?

re
    missile wrote: »
    It is not a LL duty to uphold the law.............
    Of course it bleedin' is. Both as a landlord (over 100 laws or regulations) and a citizen.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Richie86 wrote: »
    Hello im wondering if anyone can help us out with this one where my mother's been living for past 3 years there's been 5 different lots of people living next door to her in that time it's been hell for my family from drug dealers to alcoholics, needles to Windows being smashed basically just a place where you do not want to live and your kids playing it's beyond reason now and something needs to be done the landlord who owns the place does not care at all who he moves in or what goes on aslongs he's getting money in his pocket - That's his choice. Why doesn't your mother move? the place is a total dumbing ground i live in wales now but i worry for my little sister and my family being around all this up england and its sad :( the landlord is a total disgrace its not the once but 4 out 5 times it's been drug dens for whoever he moves in so I'm asking is there anyway to report this landlord?

Report him for what?

If the tenants are committing offences, it's them that gets punished.
  • Richie86
    Options
    Thank you all for your help on this matter the landlord has many opportunities to refurbish the place and get some respectable people to move in I've seen with my own 2 eyes the condition the place is in you get what you pay for as the saying goes and i don't think it's contracted through the council the conditions are way below par for there standard's and the sheer amount of people who have lived there in 3 years just shows what's been happening the street at times has had to come together it's been shocking the alcoholic moved out last week he didn't bother anyone it's been really quiet but in the last few days there's been 5,6 lads in and out and 4 of them where sniffing something in the kitchen the landlord has got to take responsibility for all of this for the fact that no background Checks at all have been the conditions of the house are shocking and its simply just rent to the nearest person basically as for being evicted I highly doubt that it's more likely prison for what there doing on the streets and once 1 lot goes another comes in :(
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buy the house from the landlord and evict and refurbish
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Buy the house from the landlord and evict and refurbish
    Another well thought out, constructive suggestion. Isn't this forum great!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure