Fibre to the cabinet BT

I live in an old property and we have copper overhead cables. BT have informed me that there is fibre to the cabinet so I have signed up

Anyone know whats involved in getting me set up? I don't want any drilling in the house for wires or anything.

Will I still be able to have my old BT master socket? I am a bit concerned as my alarm system wire is in the back of it so if my alarm goes off it rings me

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 January 2019 at 8:30AM
    Fibre to the cabinet BT

ie the old copper cable from the exchange to your local cabinet or green box at the end of the street has now had a fibre one lead next to it

it will run from exchange to the cabinet

then your normal old cable to the house

no drilling , etc
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Swap of hub , just plugs in to replace the old one .

Enter new wireless key into all devices that are WiFi conected

Done
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Chances are you wont see an engineer at all, the equipment is sent to your home for you to install, the Openreach engineer visits the cabinet to connect you to the service , not your home.
    I would be slightly concerned about your alarm system, it may be worthwhile contacting whoever supplied it and checking it's compatible with FTTC , as you could find that when the FTTC connection is complete you get no service, or service(speed) much worse than you expect.
    If you call out Openreach in circumstances where incompatible equipment is also connected to the line ( causing poor broadband performance) then it's possible that a charge is raised for the visit , as there wasn't a problem on anything OR are responsible for, just that incompatible equipment is dragging down performance , and that is your or your alarm providers responsibility
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    When was the alarm system hard wired into the master socket. And is it the master socket design where if you remove the two screws the lower half / section will pull off like this

GPNTE5A.JPG

This

61nEWNk0HZL._SL1500_.jpg

Or an older style one like this where the faceplate would come off all in one piece?

image054.jpg
    All your base are belong to us.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    BT came out today and told me they would have to run another copper cable from pole to house as BT to cabinet is different. Then another engineer would come to fit a box external to the home. THS IS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD ON THE PHONE TO BT

My master socket is the top one from the comment above
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's interesting to know if people with phone cables via a pole can have fibre?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    AndyPK wrote: »
    It's interesting to know if people with phone cables via a pole can have fibre?

Yes it is. We have a few people in our village that have FTTP delivered that way.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    They have been researching small drop muxes on the poles and or manholes to reach areas where it's not practical to put it in the cabinet.

Not sure where BT are with that.

Was for both ADSL and Fibre broadband
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JEN22 wrote: »
    BT came out today and told me they would have to run another copper cable from pole to house as BT to cabinet is different. Then another engineer would come to fit a box external to the home. THS IS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD ON THE PHONE TO BT

My master socket is the top one from the comment above

Are you sure it's fibre to the cabinet( as your original post said) , and not fibre to the premises that you are getting, if you have a working BT service , and are getting FTTC then I don't see why they would need to provude a new drop wire, if you are getting FTTP , then a fibre cable needs to be provided , quite often alongside the original copper pair dropwire
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    They said it was fibre to the cabinet. Open reach said they would have to run a new cable to the house yet I use an overhead copper cable at the moment. Im really confused.

I thought that they would just need to send me a new hub for fibre to the cabinet?

why would they need to run a new line for FTTC?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure