Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Options

Comments

• EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well that is an interesting idea but I can't see the BBC liking it, that catchup sounds horrible because they would fill it with crap previes and other junk.

I am against the ads because they reduce the length of the programmes and thus their quality.

I have seen other ideas suggested and think the 5 year phasing in of subscription is the best option, they can get programmes "sponsored" by commercial companies and they can do more product placement in their productions. They can also charge Sky for including it in their range or use their platform for subs, personally I would not pay Sky who have a habit of ripping off TV channels.

We have all the kit we need since getting rid of analogue, freeview boxes and TV's have a card capability.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2017 at 7:38PM
    Options
    EdwardB wrote: »
    Well that is an interesting idea but I can't see the BBC liking it, that catchup sounds horrible because they would fill it with crap previes and other junk.
    I believe they already do.
    I am against the ads because they reduce the length of the programmes and thus their quality.
    I've never really understood that argument. I would have thought that a program is either the right length for its storyline or it isn't. I'm also a big fan of brevity being the soul of wit. Some US programs cram a great deal of entertainment into 21 or 42 minutes.
    We have all the kit we need since getting rid of analogue, freeview boxes and TV's have a card capability.
    I understand that a large number of Freeview boxes do not have a card slot. At least that's what Lord Grade told the Perry Review of the Licence Fee - sometimes the Powers That Be behave so bizarrely that you really could not make it up.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I believe they already do.
    Does not mean it is the right thing to do.
    I've never really understood that argument. I would have thought that a program is either the right length for its storyline or it isn't. I'm also a big fan of brevity being the soul of wit. Some US programs cram a great deal of entertainment into 21 or 42 minutes.

Well what I have noticed is that a great deal gets edited down to 40 odd minutes, the result is often that it does not flow.

We saw what happened with the studios when they had the writers strike, we used to get 22 to 24 episodes a season, the studios realised they could sell an 11 or 13 episode season for the same money.

Now this is spread out over a year with mid-season breaks that make the series impossible to follow and much weaker storylines.

I like it when a show is 72 minutes because it shows they made it to be as long as it needed to be.
    I understand that a large number of Freeview boxes do not have a card slot. At least that's what Lord Grade told the Perry Review of the Licence Fee - sometimes the Powers That Be behave so bizarrely that you really could not make it up.

Well I am sure that there are still a lot of analogue TV's out there and being given away on Freecycle but we have to move forward and a new box is about £15 at Tesco, or they can get an Amazon Firestick, a Roku box, hell even a NowTV box can be got for under £10.

The BBC needs to get with it, change is coming, embrace it and make the best of it.

You know what gets me is that they probably have the largest content library in the world, they can put all those old programmes online and sell them on subscription all over the world.

It is as if they are afraid to be commercial they it may save them from commercials!
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EdwardB wrote: »
    You know what gets me is that they probably have the largest content library in the world, they can put all those old programmes online and sell them on subscription all over the world.

It is as if they are afraid to be commercial they it may save them from commercials!

I guess the reason for not releasing old programmes is because there isn't enough demand for them to make it worthwhile. To highlight this, the BBC haven't even released all episodes of EastEnders on DVD or online.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Marvqn1 wrote: »
    I guess the reason for not releasing old programmes is because there isn't enough demand for them to make it worthwhile. To highlight this, the BBC haven't even released all episodes of EastEnders on DVD or online.

I really can't see people wanting Eastenders on DVD.

But providing old content for streaming is a lot lower cost, though. I thought that the "BBC Store" was supposed to be doing this, or did I miss something?
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been license free for two or three years. I did get a nice refund at the time and even had a home visit, I showed them the TV and even demonstrated it was not connected to an aerial, it even said no signal. Since my TV is used solely for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Gamepass as well as DVD's I have no problems with them. When I moved I told them that my no license situation had moved to the new address and and have had no problems at all with them. The iPlayer issue is not a problem for me either as I do not use that.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • aliC
    aliC Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi, I'm considering relinquishing my TV licence this year. I hardly watch TV at all, and if I do, it's often Netflix or Internet catch up TV.

I want to make sure I'm on the right side of the law - I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

I have a TV in my lounge, which I'll keep, as I have an android box plugged in via HDMI - for youtube, etc...

- What are the regs? I know I cannot watch any live streams, but does that apply to internet streams?

- What about non-BBC/ITV channels like Dave?

- And if an inspector comes and sees a TV, how do I prove I'm not breaking the rules?

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
    What is live TV and when do I need a licence for it?

Live TV
    means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
    • for all channels, not just the BBC
    • if you record a programme and watch it later
    • if you watch a programme on a delay
    • to watch or record repeats
    • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
    • to watch live programmes on Red Button services
    • even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch live TV over the internet. This includes services like All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, Now TV, BT TV, Apple TV, YouTube, Amazon Instant Video and ITV Hub.

What about BBC iPlayer? You also need to be covered to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Remember the halcyon days when threads like this used to reach multiple pages?
  • aliC
    aliC Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure how YouTube counts as liveTV, but very useful thanks mije1983.

So if I'm not doing any live streaming, but have an android box plugged in via HDMI for netflix - how does this work if an inspector comes round?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure