Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• annetheman
    annetheman Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Eastenders is on BBC, so if you are watching Eastenders but are not watching it live, you would watch it on iPlayer, so you would need a licence.

As above, you don't need a TV licence if you don't watch any live TV and don't use BBC iPlayer (live or not live). E.g. Only 4oD, Netflix, ITV Hub, etc but NOT iPlayer.
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    New thread merged with existing thread with all the answers
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • annetheman
    annetheman Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been visited by TV licence people before twice in my life. The first time, I let them in and they saw I did not have a Smart TV or an aerial (the TV was only connected to a PS3).
    The second time, I didn't let them in. My TV isn't connected to the aerial because it doesn't work (I keep meaning to talk to my landlady about that, oh well) but I do have iPlayer on my Smart TV. I just told them I don't have a working aerial and I'm busy working from home and they insisted on coming in but I stood my ground and they've never come back nor have I received another letter.

In short, just ignore them and when they do come, give them an explanation about why you don't need a licence but don't let them in. They'll leave you alone.
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    annetheman wrote: »
    I've been visited by TV licence people before twice in my life. The first time, I let them in and they saw I did not have a Smart TV or an aerial (the TV was only connected to a PS3).
    The second time, I didn't let them in. My TV isn't connected to the aerial because it doesn't work (I keep meaning to talk to my landlady about that, oh well) but I do have iPlayer on my Smart TV. I just told them I don't have a working aerial and I'm busy working from home and they insisted on coming in but I stood my ground and they've never come back nor have I received another letter.

In short, just ignore them and when they do come, give them an explanation about why you don't need a licence but don't let them in. They'll leave you alone.

I wouldn't draw any conclusion about how they might operate based on one or two experiences. They simply don't work to that level of consistency.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 10 July 2019 at 10:36PM
    Options
    pphillips wrote: »
    Youtube has all sorts of official or unofficial live streams by different users and so it is not always clear whether or not what is being streamed mirrors a TV broadcast.

I watch Youtube quite a lot and the only live stream that I've ever come across that would require a TV Licence is Sky News. (edit: There's also an RT stream).

Although there is a fair amount of pre-recorded content that is of dubious copyright status, I think re-streaming a broadcast channel would be quite audacious, and easily shut down by the broadcaster or Youtube.

There is a further issue that we are primarily talking about UK broadcasters, here. Live streams from broadcasters who are outside the UK are a grey area where the TV Licence is concerned.
  • langtonhighway
    Options
    I've moved out of my house and my daughter and her bf and now living in it. They only watch netflix, prime etc through the internet.

So I've realised I'm now paying for a licence which I don't think I need. I checked online and it said you need one of you watch BBC or ITV iPlayer catch up services, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing - can't you get iPlayer on smart TVs? So would that count?

And how would they even know what you watch on your laptop?

Thanks for any info.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    New thread merged with existing thread with all the answers

As before .....

And the forum guide

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/?_ga=2.144189110.2040964023.1541176959-2122352284.1541176958
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    I've moved out of my house and my daughter and her bf and now living in it. They only watch netflix, prime etc through the internet.
    You don't need a Licence if you only watch pre-recorded content from Netflix and Amazon Prime.
    So I've realised I'm now paying for a licence which I don't think I need. I checked online and it said you need one of you watch BBC or ITV iPlayer catch up services, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing - can't you get iPlayer on smart TVs? So would that count?
    You need a Licence to use BBC iPlayer. There's no such thing as "ITV iPlayer" (their service is called ITV Hub, and you don't need a Licence to watch pre-recorded content there).
    And how would they even know what you watch on your laptop?
    They may or may not know, but people should get a Licence if they need one.

If you want to go without a Licence legally, have a read of the MSE guide posted by Browntoa, above. It's one of those things that is straightforward, but sufficiently far from common sense to make it worthwhile consulting an authoritative source.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure