Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Options

Comments

• letsbehonest
    Options
    I've alway's had a TV licence but they have decided to increase it's price, they also charge an extra £5 for paying by direct debit which I find ridiculous. We now have Netflix and rarely watch BBC ect.
    I am seriously thinking of dumping our licence, Any thoughts on this and are others thinking the same.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do we really need another divisive argument regarding the pros and cons of the TV licence.

If you think it's worth it then pay it, if not find other arrangements.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And Techie Stuff is the wrong place for such a discussion anyway ... there's a TV board.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You'll get a lot of differing opinions, some practical, some political, but, at the end of the day it's an individual decision.
    Personally, I use a fair amount of their services and will continue, for the time being, to keep the licence.
    I don't tend to watch live TV much, but use iPlayer and BBC sounds app quite a lot along with recordings.
    My use of Netflix has diminished since first getting it as I avoid the mind numbing process of getting into box sets and only use it for films now.
    I understand why people would want to ditch the licence and also think that they need to find another way of financing the BBC.

The thread will polarise opinions, so standbye for Angry of Basingstoke (or where ever)....;):)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did without a licence for 2yrs and cannot say I missed much. Give it a try and if there is something you see that you desperately need to watch you can buy a licence online instantly.
  • Bansky
    Bansky Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    An extra five quid for paying by DD? I never realised that! In which case I'll go back to buying an annual licence - I don't watch much TV but other family members do.
  • BodyOfBones
    Options
    I've alway's had a TV licence but they have decided to increase it's price, they also charge an extra £5 for paying by direct debit which I find ridiculous. We now have Netflix and rarely watch BBC ect.
    I am seriously thinking of dumping our licence, Any thoughts on this and are others thinking the same.

This extra £5 is a £1.25 charge if you pay by Quarterly Direct Debit. Monthly Direct Debit not effected.
  • Bansky
    Bansky Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    This extra £5 is a £1.25 charge if you pay by Quarterly Direct Debit. Monthly Direct Debit not effected.

Yes, just checked and found the same - Monthly DD works out at 10p more expensive the first year and 22p per year more expensive afterwards by my calculations. I shan't worry about that ..... ;)
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought it annually using a cashback credit card...
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    If you can go without live TV and not use BBC iPlayer it is worth it to get rid of the licence and just use Netflix. Make sure not to do this if there is anything you would still need the licence for though.
    OH and I did this nearly a year ago and we haven't missed anything about live TV to be honest. We've gone to parents etc and it reminds us how we don't miss it.
    My OH goes to his parents or pubs to watch rugby games he wants to see and he prefers the ambiance of the group rather than watching alone anyway.
    It works for us well.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family