AimeeMum's Debt-free challenge

Options

Comments

• aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Today is the day I get myself back into a routine. Since half term I've been chasing my tail and I think that's why I've not been as good with the money. Granted I've also had ill health to deal with which is probably why it's been such a bad couple of weeks. So, last night I wrote myself a 'to-do' list for the next 3 days with the aim of getting as much as I can done today while the kids are at school. I'm going to stop worrying about getting the kids to help and start worrying about making sure I have time for me and my writing. My to-do list is pretty scary, but I'm determined that on Monday I'll have nothing left of it and I can start back on my normal daily FLY routine.

To-do:

Kitchen - Dishes, clear tops, Oven hob clean, Sweep floors
    Empty all bins
    Tidy porch and hallway
    Laundry - 2 loads washed, dry all folded and put away
    Clean out snake
    Clean both bathrooms and downstairs toilet
    Master - clear floors, dust and polish,, clear cluttered surfaces, vacuum
    Living room - D&P, Vacuum, tidy and declutter
    Kids rooms - Tidy toys, vacuum, D&P
    Vacuum stairs and landing
    Clean small fish tank
    Clean out hamster
    METER READINGS!!!
    Call Council
    Call Dentist
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Day so far:

Cleaned hob, worktops, set dishwasher going
    Cleared some of the clutter off the dining table
    Hung 1 load of washing, set another going
    Cleared my desk
    Emptied every single bin in the house!

Went to clean out the hamster and he's passed away :( - he was a Russian dwarf and we'd had him 19months so he'd done very well. He had suddenly gotten old in the last 8 weeks or so, so it's not unexpected but I think I will have a very upset 9yo as Gary was his hamster. He was the best hamster ever so I think we will need to get a replacement in the Easter hols. RIP Gary - enjoy all the biscuits hamster-heaven can provide! :A

Plan for the afternoon:
    Tidy and vacuum living room
    Sweep floors in kitchen and hallway
    Hang washing when done
    Clean at least 1 bathroom
    Decide what's for dinner....I think I know for the kids but I don't know for us.
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Called the council to set up rolling some of my bill over and they've already done it, for the whole amount I owe.

Arrears from 2018/19 - £414
    New Bill - £1,653
    Total - £2,067 for 2019/20

Assistance applied - £184
    New sub-total - £1,883
    Monthly bill - £157 from 1st April

I am happy with that - so very happy. It means 2 things. 1 I don't have to pay a massive chunk and then immediately go into arrears again and pay my instalments late as they're due the 1st and payday for me isn't until the 27th, and 2 it means that the big chunk I was going to pay off (equivalent of £140 over 2 weeks) will now go onto my water arrears and CC to bring them down sooner too... :)

Yes, the CT bill is about £17 a month higher than I had budgeted originally, but looking at the budget, it is definitely doable and it feels like I have made progress this month after a couple of lack-lustre weeks money wise. :beer: Just need to go and adjust everything to reflect these new payments and make sure everything will work :D Happy days x
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Aww so sorry to hear about the hamster that's such a shame xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Thanks - he was a brilliant hamster. Never bit anyone, so tame and so easy to handle. Totally recommend Russian dwarfs! Eldest was a bit teary.. Made me teary as a result. We have put Gary in a little cardboard box and will put him out in the garden in the morning under the daffodils. Our last hamster (dougal - a Syrian) is buried out there too so he said they can keep each other company. :o
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Happy Saturday!!!

After yesterday turned out to be a bit tumultuous, I'm hoping for an easier day all round today.

Already got my washer going with a load and my dishes are in the dishwasher being done (love my dishwasher!).Need to get myself up and moving, get my list of jobs shortened or gone and then get the dog out for her walk.

Last night I was putting the kids to bed and left her unattended with the cheese.....an entire block went into the Labrador! I could have been angry but it was my fault for leaving it on the worktop - only issue when looking after other people's dogs I suppose!
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Happy Sunday! - and it's sunny!! :D

So far it's been a good day - all my daily chores have been done, dog has been walked and there's a sausage and veg casserole in the slow cooker making us all hungry :) Kids didn't really want to go for a walk but once we were out they were running about like loons. We now have an assortment of sticks in the porch that we will take back to the woods tomorrow.

Back from the walk and we had lunch and the kids then played and that has continued until now...nearly and hour and no arguments. I'm amazed! I do love it when they get along and I'm pretty certain that they miss each other at school all day - it just takes a bit of sleep to stop them being over-tired and grumpy to really get along. We've had an 'at home' weekend so they've had a really restful time and even slept in until after 7.30 this morning which for youngest is more or less unheard of! Only issue is tomorrow morning may be a struggle but still, only 4 weeks at school! 20 days....I think we can make it!

Not a lot to report money-wise. I need to plan meals and weekends for up to/including the Easter hols...may do those this afternoon. Looking forward to the rest of this month and next month....I love the spring weather and the prospect of lots of things to look forward to.
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Yesterday ended well apart from when I did the weekly nit check (which has turned into a full on combing of everyone's hair!) I found big adult head lice in eldest. No eggs or babies once again - and no sign of anything on anyone else in the house - so one can only assume that they've crawled onto him at school. He has shoulder length hair and I think that we need to chop it off in order to stop the reinfestations happening. I can't cope with continuing to find lice every flippin' week! At least everyone else was nit-free....so that's something.

I managed to make 6 weeks of meal plans last night - that's a job that I really hate, but now it's done I can just write shopping lists off it. I need to start keeping my meal plans so I can re-use them really.

POA for today -
    - Ironing
    - Daily jobs
    - Walk dog
    - Dusting (the whole house really needs a once over before I start opening windows lol)
    -Vacuuming (again, whole house really needs a good doing!)

Money wise - hubby has offered to go and get some supplies after work tonight. After the dog ate our cheese I'm struggling to see how we can get to the end of the week without more. We're also completely out of biscuits/cakes/puddings of any sort and while I'm not particularly bothered, the kids are starting to get withdrawals! :rotfl: Only have £5 left in the budget so he's going to have to be frugal with it...I'm sure he'll manage.
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You are doing well with getting the debt down. Getting there.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • aimeemum
    Options
    You are doing well with getting the debt down. Getting there.

Thank you, it feels good to be over a third of the way there, but there's still a long way to go and a lot of money to find :eek:
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills