Comments

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey @aimeemum just wanted to check in that you’re all ok x
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    HI all, sorry it's been a few months since I've been on - a lot going on, mostly positive which has made for a lively summer, but now I'm back :)

The op went really well but I had a few days where walking was a bit wobbly (inner ears are fun!! lol) so I had to take some time out of life and recover. I then had my first jab not long after and then we went on holidays for a few days - all went well apart from Moderna sore arms all around lol  Holiday was wonderful - lovely to have a break and to mark middle-born's birthday too. 

We got back and hubby and I cracked on with making it a good summer. He bought himself a van with a combination of savings and a low-interest loan through his credit union.....managed to get a good one for a low price and made some improvements to it......and then it got written off 1 week into ownership! Hubby was of but had to take a week off work with whiplash (got hit from behind by a van). Back to work, and the insurance worked quickly and he got a payout for the van of £600 more than he paid for it, so he went out and bought himself a slightly better van and is now back on the road :D The loan is being paid off within 12 months and it seems (fingers well and truly crossed) to be going fine. 

We've done up the front garden as it was a total pigsty - it's now turfed and looks loved!! Took weeks of weeding and a shipment of turf (who knew grass would cost that much money!!) but it was totally worth it. 

We took the kids on a few days out, booked them back into their sports and activities that had been cancelled due to lockdowns and finances - younger 2 are swimming once a week, eldest is on a hockey improvement course for the time being, with hopes to progress up to regular practice sessions by Christmas. 

Money wise we have taken a few steps back. All of this activity has cost a lot of money - sign up fees, loss of earnings etc - so we've had to use a bit of one of the CCs to cover the cost. It's a shame having gone for so long and worked as hard as we did but it's not a massive amount and we've been lucky enough to get VERY low interest and a recent balance transfer at 0% for 20 months means that we are not paying through the nose for it all. 

My current focus is therefore on building up our EF's so they're fully funded alongside paying down the debt using the interest free periods. I am also looking ahead to our futures which is something I have never been able to do before. I hope that I can sign myself up for a LISA in the next couple of months as at the moment I have nothing put aside for retirement. It will only be a small amount to begin with, but compound interest is a marvellous thing!! :D I'm still making regulr Help 2 Save contributions and that's adding up again. Still earmarking that for a big purchase once the time is complete - Florida holiday would be top of the wish list but it may end up being a new car (our Zafira will be 10 years old by then!). 

On my writing etc, the kids are going back to school in 2 weeks time and I have already started to get myself into gear to pick my writing back up with gusto. I have plans to schedule my work, and what I will need to focus on straight away. I hope that I will have something financial to show for it, even it's only to pay for a coffee!, by Christmas. I have joined some side-hustle groups on FB in an attempt to get a but more tech and business savvy so we will see what happens.

I will go and update my current numbers on my signature and tomorrow marks the last day of the month (money-wise) for me, so I need to look at my goals for September then. 

Sorry about the essay, it's been a busy couple of months. Hope everyone is well. 

Aimee

Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Whatlifeis
    Options
    So glad you’re OK (and hubby too). His accident sounded nasty. Despite that, it looks like you’ve had a pretty good summer. Bet your garden looks fab :)
    'In the widening gap between credits and debits hangs a question: What parts of this life are you willing to give up, so you can keep on living?'
    (Jessica Bruder, Nomadland)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure