Npower - Energy Ombudsman Complaint

Options
Hi

I'm looking for advise on how to deal with a complaint after I've been through the complaint process with the Energy Ombudsman.

Long story short.....I've been dealing with an Npower complaint for 2 years. The complaint itself was caused originally by Npower sending my details to a debt collection agency for energy used after I moved. They then said this would be resolved but still managed to send my details to a debt agency a further 2 times. They then changed the name on my account to someone else's and told me I was not the account holder. After much chasing from me, 18 months later I called Npower who said they had no note of the complaint at all! I also found out that I'd been billed for wrong dates etc. Npower then recently took £600 from my account even though I set up a payment plan and didn't even owe anywhere near £600! I finally took my complaint to the ombudsman who's final response has been to offer me £50 with no explanation of how Npower made all of these errors (baring in mind there is much more to this complaint, I've provided you with the watered down version) no apology from the company, no explanation as to how I should claim back the money I'm owed.

So I'm now looking for advice on what I should do next, the reply I've had from the Ombudsman is their final offer so I cannot escalate it any further with them. Is small claims court my only option?

Thanks

Comments

• nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jodiem85 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for advise on how to deal with a complaint after I've been through the complaint process with the Energy Ombudsman.

Long story short.....I've been dealing with an Npower complaint for 2 years. The complaint itself was caused originally by Npower sending my details to a debt collection agency for energy used after I moved. They then said this would be resolved but still managed to send my details to a debt agency a further 2 times. They then changed the name on my account to someone else's and told me I was not the account holder. After much chasing from me, 18 months later I called Npower who said they had no note of the complaint at all! I also found out that I'd been billed for wrong dates etc. Npower then recently took £600 from my account even though I set up a payment plan and didn't even owe anywhere near £600! I finally took my complaint to the ombudsman who's final response has been to offer me £50 with no explanation of how Npower made all of these errors (baring in mind there is much more to this complaint, I've provided you with the watered down version) no apology from the company, no explanation as to how I should claim back the money I'm owed.

So I'm now looking for advice on what I should do next, the reply I've had from the Ombudsman is their final offer so I cannot escalate it any further with them. Is small claims court my only option?

Thanks

Hello Jodiem85,

Thank you for your message. As the complaint was passed to the ombudsman and a final remedy sent if you are unhappy with this you will need to discuss this further with the ombudsman.

Thanks, Carmel :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 17 January 2019 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Your experience with the Ombudsman mirrors the disatisfaction of many posters on this forum. They assert you will get a £50 to £100 compensation payment almost regardless of the merits of the case.

I fear having gone to the Ombudsman your chances of success at the Small Claims Court are not good.

If they recently took a disputed £600 from your bank, then you should claim it back from your bank.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2019 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Essentially you can try speaking to the Ombudsman or Npower again - though I wouldn't hold out much hope personally.

Otherwise, you could try contacting your MP asking if they can help via parliamentary liaison - perhaps more senior staff than the call centre you are likely to reach. If disatisfied with the Ombudsmans handling you are entitled to make a complaint about that, possibly ending up with the parliamentary ombudsman - though again I wouldn't hold my breath.

As Cardew suggested you could speak to your bank & try to reclaim the Direct debit payment.

or, as you say can go to the Courts and sue for your cash. You will however, as Cardew implies probably have to have produced a very strong case in court to make any headway. Birds of a feather tend to stick together!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure