PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tepilo/Shawbrook Bank

Options
Just wanted some advise please.
When my husband and I originally put our house on the market we went with Tepilo and signed up to pay their fees at the end. Thus was done by signing up with Shawbrook Bank as a agreement to pay. After weeks and weeks of not a single viewing and constant issues we went with another agent (a local based one) we had already forwarded a complaint to our Tepilo contact and advised that we wouldn't pay, now we have sold and are moving on Thursday, so I cancelled the DD set up for this payment. I have now had a letter from Shawbrook asking us to set this back up, however we had already placed a complaint in and then they went bust. Anyone know where we stand on this, being as they have now gone bust and we were in the middle of a complaints process. It needs to come off our credit record to avoid any issue for future birriwing.

Comments

• babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's the same as the PB online agent your fee is owed to Shawbrook and not Tepilo and that still stands

If memory serves me right PB use Close Brothers finance .

I would imagine (having not seen the contract you signed`) that the money is owed and must be payable to Shawbrook

Others will correct me if I'm wrong
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 January 2019 at 2:52PM
    Options
    It depends whether Tepilo did everything they said they would in their contract.

I suspect the contract said things like they would advertise the property.

I doubt the contract guaranteed that they would find people to view.

Essentially, if Tepilo breached the contract, Shawbrook are probably jointly liable (according to section 75 of the consumer credit act), so you may be able to avoid paying.

But if Tepilo didn't breach the contract, you have to pay Shawbrook.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You may have been slightly premature in cancelling the DD if it risks effecting your mortgage being released next week.

I can't answer the substantive question of whether you can pursue a complaint with an organisation that has ceased trading.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 12:54PM
    Options
    By taking and signing for the pay later option you actually agreed to a finance option. Shawbrook will have already paid the fee to Tepilo and you now owe them the money.

I would suggest you pay so as to avoid any further action, they can and will apply for a CCJ against you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How did Shawbrook know you cancelled the DD? Did you inform them? Or did they find out when trying to take the payment?
  • Mrsemmapage
    Options
    We were with Tepilo for around 14weeks without a single viewing, they continual got our write up for the property incorrect and had to amend it, in the end I wrote it and emailed it to them. They also massively overpriced our property, which meant no one looked at it, then when I went to a local agent who advised price and they asked who had marketed it prior and the price, they advised us that we would never of stood a chance to get even close to what Tepilo advised. We complained when we advised I didn't want to proceed with then and forwarded a complaint letter to our contact, which was going through the complaints process. This occured back in August when we swopped agents and we heard nothing from them absolutely nothing.
  • sbrophy
    Options
    I am in the same situation and contacted the Shawbrook complaints department. I emailed evidence of where I had not received good service so they have halved the amount of the balance on the account.
    As they have agreed I received shoddy service, can I still try to have the whole balance cleared to zero, as Tepilo did not provide the service I had signed up for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure