Broadband through phone line - options?

Options
Hi guys,

I've just moved to a property in a non-cabled area. I've only ever had BB through cable (Telewest/Virgin) so I'm not sure of my options.

Basically, the story is I have a flatmate who is using broadband through the existing BT telephone line. I want to get my own separate line into my room for broadband so i have spoken to bt and they say it is £125 to install a line and £11 a month basic line rental. To be honest I don't really want BT broadband if I can help it and I have seen some reasonable deals (talk talk being the main one). So my questions are these:

1. Sharing BB connection with flatmate is not an option so I'm resigned to having to pay the £125. But would this be classed as an additional line or as a new customer in my name? And would I be tied to a 12 month contract or if it is classed as an additional line would I be able to switch to another bb provider?

2. Talk Talk seem to be the only ISP who say they will "take over" the BT line rental. Is this true? For other ISPs will I have to pay the BT line rental AND their broadband charges?

3. Is there any other reasonable options (mobile etc?).

Sorry for the long post and all the questions but I'm still adjusting to not having cable anymore :~(

Any advice appreciated!

ps I do quite a bit of streaming (4od, BBC, radio) and gaming so will probably need an unlimited package.

Comments

• bairn7
    bairn7 Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can anyone help or give advice?
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Options
    Why can u not use ur flatmates BB??

Is he/she so selfish??

Costhe easiest option would be to just share the BB connection and the costs>>

Otherwise if u have a laptop u can go for 3 or tmobiles wirless BB..bit expensive but then u will be mobile.
  • ray123
    ray123 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Appartently there is a 7 day cooling off period in which time you can cancel your bt line, is worth asking bt.

If it is the case, then you would not be tied to a 12 month contract!
    That is what talktalk told me when i enquired about joining them with a bt line that was not activated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure