New Post Advanced Search

New front door - how much!!

26 replies 2.9K views

Replies

• oozle1989oozle1989 Forumite
    444 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    An honest firm would measure up, give you a brief sales spiel and offer their best price.

The national firms' approach is to come round, measure up, spend at least an hour on their sales pitch, a lot of that spent bashing their small local competitors (e.g. "small companies go out of business all the time, we are a bit national and won't so you won't have to worry about after-sales support"), telling you how much better their product is than other companies (spoiler: there's very little difference) before giving you an eye-watering quote that's many multiples of what it should be, hoping you're gullible enough to accept it. If you're not, then they will start with their numerous little "tricks" to get the price down until you accept: "can we use your home in our brochure?", "I'll just need to call my manager", "we're doing a special offer but you need to accept today...".

I know who I'd rather give my money to.

Thats exactly what happened to me! The guy spent 2 hours in my house, probably half of that time was spent going through all of their certifications, code of practice and then bashing their competitors. I honestly through he would never leave.
  • king132king132 Forumite
    91 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I’ve just this week paid for a new composite front door with two side panels. 2m in total length. Wooden slab door, peep hole, letter box - all for £1.2k

If your front door is south facing then I would recommend paying a bit extra to get a wooden slab rather than foam filled. Less likely to warp and it’s a more solid.

Also look into Ultion Locks.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We bought a new PVC front door and side panel from Safestyle about 4.5 years ago. A basic (although not cheapest) one.

It was exactly £1000 after haggling. A lot of haggling.

The local independent would have been just a tad over £1000 but had a 6 month waiting list, and our door was wooden and so rotten you could kick it open!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • britishboybritishboy Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We paid £800 (with no side window) fitted for a composite door (made by DoorStop I think)4 years ago, slam lock, fancy lock etc, was fitted in 1/2 a day (we're based in Essex). As others have said avoid Anglian and the nationals like the plague.

Better still, get your new fancy door fitted, then invite Anglian back to quote then slam your new door in the salesman face
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    britishboy wrote: »
    Better still, get your new fancy door fitted, then invite Anglian back to quote then slam your new door in the salesman face
    No residual bitterness I see :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • bpk101bpk101 Forumite
    279 posts
    I just paid the following for a new timber front door in East London:

Door £280 from Todds Doors
    Glazing for door and fanlight £100 from local glass merchant

Builder / Carpenter to rip out old door and install new rebated door frame, door, glazing and all door furniture and locks
    £1000

Locks we went with Banhams, more expensive at £400 for the set but more secure in my opinion.

A few extras too including brass hinges (extra long screws) and security hinge bolts.
  • britishboybritishboy Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No residual bitterness I see :D

None at all. They prey on the elderly and naive and enjoy ripping people off.
  • edited 8 January 2019 at 7:00PM
    smudger1964smudger1964 Forumite
    673 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 8 January 2019 at 7:00PM
    Give these people a go https://www.valuedoors.co.uk/..
    I have used them twice once for a composite front door and again for a upvc back one.The price you see is the price you pay no messing about with special managers discounts and sign today prices
    The fitted prices are listed on the website no smoke and mirrors
  • tonyh66tonyh66 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    got a local joiner to fit new composite frontdoor and side panel less than £1000 (Inverness)
  • oozle1989oozle1989 Forumite
    444 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Just an update - I got a quote from a local guy who does doors and windows and it was almost a third cheaper than what Anglian quoted! Just under £1300 for composite door and window.

Its being done as I type :)