New Post Advanced Search

New front door - how much!!

26 replies 2.9K views
oozle1989oozle1989 Forumite
444 posts
Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭
We have been quoted £3,213.40 for a new front door and side panel window from Anglian. I was quite shocked at how expensive it was and wasn’t expecting it to be that much. This was for their basic PVC range and after applying all their various discounts for recycling, marketing etc!

Can anyone give me some costs to compare too as this is our first house and i've never bought a new door before. I might be being naive but I had a figure in my head of around £1000!

The specs are

Door: 890mm x 2050mm
Casement Window; 1230mm x 2050mm

Replies

• TheCyclingProgrammerTheCyclingProgrammer Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avoid the big nationals, contact a couple of local companies for quotes. I think you should be able to get a quote for around your price for a basic uPVC door with sidepanel including fitting.
  • AlfrescodaveAlfrescodave Forumite
    776 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely look at the small locals - my son found similar prices to you when looking for front door. Went with local firm which cost him £1200 and the service was excellent.
  • FabFiftyFabFifty Forumite
    115 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would agree with avoiding the big national firms. We changed all the windows & doors in our house using a local firm who charged 1/3 of the price quoted by a national firm.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    oozle1989 wrote: »
    We have been quoted £3,213.40 for a new front door and side panel window from Anglian. ................

Was this before or after the salesman rang his manager to see if the special price of the previous week could be given to you as a "special customer" ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am looking for a new front door as well.
    Which national firm should I be avoid?

I am am at brimngham area. Any recommendation for a small firm?
  • oozle1989oozle1989 Forumite
    444 posts
    ✭✭
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Was this before or after the salesman rang his manager to see if the special price of the previous week could be given to you as a "special customer" ?

Ha ha he actually did try ringing his manager, said he would be able to get it down to 3k for us but he needed his managers approval. His manager didn't pick up.
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    I am looking for a new front door as well.
    Which national firm should I be avoid?

All of them.
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robin9 wrote: »

An honest firm would measure up, give you a brief sales spiel and offer their best price.

The national firms' approach is to come round, measure up, spend at least an hour on their sales pitch, a lot of that spent bashing their small local competitors (e.g. "small companies go out of business all the time, we are a bit national and won't so you won't have to worry about after-sales support"), telling you how much better their product is than other companies (spoiler: there's very little difference) before giving you an eye-watering quote that's many multiples of what it should be, hoping you're gullible enough to accept it. If you're not, then they will start with their numerous little "tricks" to get the price down until you accept: "can we use your home in our brochure?", "I'll just need to call my manager", "we're doing a special offer but you need to accept today...".

I know who I'd rather give my money to.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best value I found was to go to a place they only sells the doors. That means it is designed for mostly trade only. Ask them to recomend a fitter who they think is ok (they will know the good ones). Fitter comes and measures up. Orders the door. You pay for the door direct. Fitter collects and you pay him £150 for the fitting. Composite door ditted (no extra panels but certainly not the cheapest composite they offerd by any means) dfor £750. Now 3 years later and no issues.

Most local comapnies will just end up going to a place like this anyway. Much cheaper if you cut out the part where they pretend to make the door themselves and inflate the price becuaseyou have been to a national firm.
  • oozle1989oozle1989 Forumite
    444 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. My initial thought was that it was way overpriced but didn’t know whether I was just being a noob! I will look for local companies.