We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Economy Energy banned from taking new customers over poor customer service - MSE News

Options

Comments

• teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They issued me a electric bill in December using inflated estimate reading which claimed I had used over 5000kwh in 3months. They ignored the readings I gave them in Oct, Nov and Dec which clearly showed my usage was well below that. My annual usage is estimated at below 6000kwh.

I think this is a deliberate act to try and increase my DD payments.

I had to fight them when they tried to increase my FIXED tarrif by over 60% two months after I switched .

I did not get Gas bill from June when I switched until December and only after I made an official complaint. They were not recording my meter readings.

Lots of complaints that they are not giving refunds to customers and ex customers.

Bet the CEO still gets his Pay.
  • Mr.Everready
    Options
    @teamgb I had the same issue yesterday, I put in my readings on 19/12, they issued an invoiced dated 20/12, £100's more than my readings. I emailed them and it was sorted within the day.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was an item published in the press before Christmas that an internal memo exists instructing staff not to pay any refunds without explicit instructions from a regulator. Now they've had the explicit instructions, we'll see what happens.
  • Mr.Everready
    Options
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/economy-energy-provisional-order-0

Main document says:
    By 11 January 2019 to ensure the average call waiting times, as defined in the Annex to this Provisional Order, are not longer than 2 minutes.

No staff to answer the phones !!!!

That quote is one of many that they have no hope of honoring.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given that Economy Energy owes the Regulator £ 6 million in Green Energy Tariffs, I wonder whether Economy Energy has to set a reserve for OFGEM before paying out ex-customers and extant customers. Who come first in the pecking order assuming that Economy has any cash at all?
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Stop_Watch
    Stop_Watch Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    I am so glad i switched on recommendation by the MSE energy club, The $500 I have been owed for over 3 months is a constant reminder of the poor decision I made. Thanks MSE
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    teamgb wrote: »
    They issued me a electric bill in December using inflated estimate reading which claimed I had used over 5000kwh in 3months. They ignored the readings I gave them in Oct, Nov and Dec which clearly showed my usage was well below that. My annual usage is estimated at below 6000kwh.

I think this is a deliberate act to try and increase my DD payments.

I had to fight them when they tried to increase my FIXED tarrif by over 60% two months after I switched .

I did not get Gas bill from June when I switched until December and only after I made an official complaint. They were not recording my meter readings.

Lots of complaints that they are not giving refunds to customers and ex customers.

Bet the CEO still gets his Pay.

Exactly the same issue here, electricity usage overestimated by about 5000 units. It means in a 3 month period my Aunty apparently used approx £500 of electricity.

Additionally, even though the estimated gas reading was fairly accurate, the gas bill used a totally arbitrary reading, 300 units higher.

My Aunty has had to cancel the direct debit to prevent them from taking the vastly inflated amount. We can’t get through to them on the phone and they take a long time to reply to emails.
  • Planetsaver
    Options
    I was with them, they took me to the cleaners one way or another(never told me I was on a new much more expensive tarrifs) they got hundreds of pounds out of me no other supplier would have got. I was just glad to leave in the end (not a straight forward process with EE, nothing was straight forward).

I'd never go back. and I though Powergen was bad!!
  • Planetsaver
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    Yet the big 5 have got away with !!!!! customer service for decades

You aint seen !!!! untill you have been with EE believe me. :rotfl:

I was with them for about 6 months before they even started billing me.:rotfl:
  • Planetsaver
    Options
    Another thing they has was the minimum payment was £10 so if you owed them 10p you had to pay £10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure