Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Economy Energy banned from taking new customers over poor customer service - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
31 replies 2K views
MSE_Megan_FMSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 Posts
Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Economy Energy has been banned from taking on any new customers for the next three months, or until it improves its customer service, by the regulator...
Read the full story:
'Economy Energy banned from taking new customers over poor customer service'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suspect that they haven't the resources to comply with the refund requests. They've let many of their staff go, which doesn't bode well...
  • tastyhogtastyhog Forumite
    769 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Yet the big 5 have got away with !!!!! customer service for decades
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    55.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Economy Energy banned from taking new customers over poor customer service
    We have contacted Economy Energy for comment and are in a queue awaiting the next free customer services agent. Our call is important to them.

Snigger :rotfl:
  • SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The new customer ban rather presupposes that Economy's issues all fall out from procedural irregularities. However, it is well reported that Economy has liquidity issues and is seeeking new investment. Their challenge now is to pay its ex-customers promptly amounts that are now well over-due and to cease using customers as a funding pool by a combination of over-estimating usage and increasing direct debits.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
  • I'm owed ~£200 since switching away from them in August 2018.

Initially I was told the refund was automatic, in November when I chased the money they said I was actually meant to request it. It's now been 'processing' since end of November.

I received this reply on 14th December.
    I understand the basis of your complaint is in regards to the extensive delay you have experienced during the closure of accounts process with Economy Energy.
    At the present moment I can confirm that the payment has been added to our finance spreadsheet and will be paid soon. I cannot, unfortunately, provide a timeframe as the payment is in the hands of finance and disables the conjunction of me providing a specific date at this point. I can consequently provide the information that you will receive notification from our finance team directly either via text message/post/email.

I don't think the magical finance spreadsheet will be paying up any time soon.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    pmduk wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that they haven't the resources to comply with the refund requests. They've let many of their staff go, which doesn't bode well...
    Sadly, they are likely to be followed by the remainder quite soon.

If they owe you money as a former customer then you had better brace yourself for disappointment. Credit balances will probably be honoured by a new supplier but money owed to former customers will not.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/01/ofgem-bans-economy-energy-over-customer-service-failures/?_ga=2.42973223.329674380.1520981550-689001419.1520981549

Issue customer refunds for credit balances. It must do this within 28 days of receiving a refund request, or within 14 days of today's order, whichever is later – or explain why the refund is not reasonable.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/01/ofgem-bans-economy-energy-over-customer-service-failures/?_ga=2.42973223.329674380.1520981550-689001419.1520981549

Issue customer refunds for credit balances. It must do this within 28 days of receiving a refund request, or within 14 days of today's order, whichever is later – or explain why the refund is not reasonable.
    So, likely to go into administration within the next 14 days ?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • jk0jk0 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes: 'Honestly Mr Regulator, it's not that we're bankrupt. We are just unable to pay the refunds because we sacked all our staff who know how to do it.' :)
  • I'm still a customer, with invoices issued yesterday. I've just asked for a payment against my credit balance, we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.