We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You've definitely arrived, unrecordings :):):)

Thanks both for the extra info there - I didn't end up doing many of those *precise* brambles, but I was pruning all around the savory - finishing the hedge clipping, realising I need to take a saw to the overgrown rhodie tree and do it properly, pulling out the grass, pulling out a self-planted succulent thats got a bit too enthusiastic, there was a wide area of work accomplished yesterday :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update for today, dug thro the onion bed, get the shallots in this weekend, started clearing the green manure from the brassica bed Ground drying out beautifully!
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Planning a good weekend of it up the plot for myself this weekend.
    Have put some marigolds seeds in indoors to get those started off.

Lots of talk of another cold snap hitting us later, but can't seem to find anything other than hearsay. Any thoughts anyone?
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    Options
    BBC weather seems to suggest it's going to be very mild here for the next ten days. Been having a rest today after having a fantastic 'clear out' bonfire yesterday. Tomorrow is leaf raking and cutting back sedum fronds

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a splendid couple of hours at the plot yesterday :D got my shallots planted, rhubarb has been manured and just generally enjoying the sun and peace and quiet :j

Potatoes are chitting away nicely and the first lot will be going in pots in the greenhouse next weekend :j
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just spent a couple of hours tidying the front garden but also repaired the cloche over the lettuces which have begun to germinate. Nothing on the broad beans plot yet.

Will do some more tomorrow.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Just spent an hour or so at the volunteer-run shop of the local horticultural society, buying potash and myrcorrizhal (sp?) fungi - the roots of my new fruit bushes are going to thank me :)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Quite mild here but depressing grey skies which always lower my mood. Have been planting additional snowdrops which have just arrived in the green. Many of them have buds on them but not expecting much of them this year. Hopefully next spring they will be better established if the darned squirrels haven't dug them up. I do like the idea of getting more plants for free as they naturalise.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2019 at 9:13AM
    Options
    Had a lovely weekend of it up the plot.

I've weeded and cleared out 6 large beds, weeded out the flower bulb bed and threw in some summer bulbs that were found loitering in the shed. Also managed to cover and lay another section of pathway and 2 barrow loads of wood chip out down.
    I'm feeling it now mind you and hurt in all sorts of places.

I did come home with two small red cabbage heads though so they'll be eaten this week. First harvest of the year YAY!

Day off tomorrow and back up Tuesday. Plan there is to clear the last two remaining beds, uncover my no dig bed and add the veggie \green layer I've got saved up plus the spent chicken bedding and cover that back over.
    Feels good to have a plan of attack now and see the progress.

After that, it's into bramble mountain I go! Not much looking forward to that but once that's done its going to make a huge difference. Bonfire needed too.

Hope everyone had equally successful been weekends. The sun was a most glorious and welcome addition!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Good grief, thats amazing, CAFCGirl! Well done you! I was/ am feeling very pleased that I went to the end of the garden and dug up yet another half-dozen well-rooted brambles. Plus a lot of ground ivy/ general weeds. More and more, it's general weeding, which I'm so thankful for. The other thing I managed to do was square the main hole under my fence (the ground slopes) and put 3 bricks side by side there. Protects the fence, protects me from next door's dogs, win win.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport