We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    Options
    I just leave the lime green ones out in the kitchen, no special tricks as such. I just make sure they're clean but don't wash them. If they're slow to turn then maybe a ripe tomato in the tub too (to provide a little natural ethylene to help the process). Ideally they need sun to ripen, but by late season I'm more interested in a supply for cooking

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Luckily I'm retired so if we get an unexpected warm sunny day a out my trays of tomatoes outside on the patio to sunbathe. Not sure if direct sun's rays rather than through glass makes much difference though.

I have a daily debate with myself and the weather forecast at this time of year as to how late I dare leave the last green tomatoes on the plants outdoors before picking though. Situation complicated by having good and bad health days and needing to get the garden nicely cleared for winter before I run out of energy !
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Yup, know what you mean - I'm quite glad it's raining today

In terms of direct sun vs under glass, I think from memory direct is better as you need a little UV for some part of the ripening process. Greenhouse glass passes UV, but something like double glazing is coated to block it...

...I think

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've picked a load of ripe tomatoes today, but there are plenty of unripe still on the vine. We go on holiday tomorrow for a week, and they will have to last until at least our return. The forecast is rainy, but temps aren't due to go below 13 for the week, so fingers crossed they will be ok.

Picked the last of the green beans. That's them done for the year.

The lone raspberry is almost fully ripe. I hope it gets there by tomorrow lol

And the brussel sprout plant has caterpillars again. Sigh. Have evicted all that I could find, but now fearful for the plants survival whilst we're away.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have made so much tomato purree over last summer and this year that we now have more than 40 bags of it in the freezer so today made three pints of tomato soup which is being frozen in one pint milk bottles.

And then somebody told me the other day that too many tomatoes are bad for arthritis sufferers. Is there any truth in this or just another old wives tale ?
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    We have made so much tomato purree over last summer and this year that we now have more than 40 bags of it in the freezer so today made three pints of tomato soup which is being frozen in one pint milk bottles.

And then somebody told me the other day that too many tomatoes are bad for arthritis sufferers. Is there any truth in this or just another old wives tale ?

I believe it is true but that yellow tomatoes are not so bad as they are not so acidic. It's hard to imagine a life without tomatoes though.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm now at the stage where the grease bands for winter need to go onto the two apple trees. I will also be putting them on the fence that both trees lean on. I've looked up on the RHS site to find out some of the whys and wherefores. I now know that the bands only protect against two potential pests (I'm trying to avoid the leaf curl insect that made their murderous inroads into my trees this last few years). I know to apply some of the "grease" to the tree trunk itself to avoid the insect crawling up gaps made by ay roughness of the bark. I know that all my applications of grease and greas bands needs to be about 18" (inches) above soil level. I know that ready made bands are available, and the RHS site gives several brand names. What I don't know is what exactly goes on the bands and how my grandfather managed with his - back in the day when I'm certain he didn't buy ready made ones.
    Does anybody know how to make your own grease bands? What to put onto them for them to be effective? And how to follow this action up with some belt and braces protection against the specific pest I've had? I have two miniature dachshunds so the bands would not be entirely out of reach although they don't generally explore the tree area of the bed my apple trees are on.
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe it is true but that yellow tomatoes are not so bad as they are not so acidic. It's hard to imagine a life without tomatoes though.
    Re: the arthritis, If your particular brand of arthritis is affected, it will be responding to anything in the nightshade family. (As I understand it anything that grows thos tomato-like seeds when left to go to seed). This includes Tomatoes, Potatoes and Physalis.
  • carinjo
    carinjo Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    First to Underlings for the advice on my raised bed. It fell apart since i aparently nailed it together, not screwed it, so made a new bed, slightly dug in and leveled the soil on the outside of the frame. So fingers crossed.
    The allotment holder to one side of me has been great giving advice so was sad to hear he giving it up for various reasons. He gifted me with his final bag of picked runner beans (1/2kg that I pickled yesterday with mum's curried beans recipe) and then gifted me with his runner bean frame too. It a lovely metal structure that runs the whole width of our plot and about 2m high. Took the OH and I 2 mornings, but we managed to move it over to ours. Looks great. My poor back is feeling the digging of the holes though!
    And then another plot holder gifted us with a huge roll of perforated clear plastic that he used over his tomatoes. He was gifted several rolls, so paid it forward.
    Hope after this weeks rain can stick some turnips, onions and broadbeans in the ground.

We also have a William (?) Pear tree that got loads of rust. There no junipers nearby I can see and everywhere I read says don't pick the leaves just leave it. But it looks horrible, so any further advice would be great.
    It's good for the soul to walk with your soles on the soil. 
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can settle down with the Suttons catalogue and plot & scheme - some interesting things in there for next season...

That's one catalogue that doesn't pop through my letterbox - I must request one as I like 'interesting things'
    I fancy growing oco again next year, I grew it about five years ago, not a huge harvest but a good point for conversation.

Like has got in the way a bit here, I'm finding myself rather busy with other things so other than collect veg I'm not doing much at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure