We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your Brother's diagnosis Dizzy, but I'm glad that he is exceeding expectations and responding well to chemo. Long may it continue x
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Dizzy:- That's good news - long may it continue.

Collected all the squash and put it on some tough mesh I found, well off the ground. It may be my eyesight but I think I can detect a slight change in colour already.

Today's job is to finish off the bed that had the onions in and put out some late veg that is hanging around in the greenhouse.

I'm thinking about taking down the runner beans as they seem to have finished but I'm wondering if anyone gets a late flush of beans and it would be best leaving them in situ for the time being.
  • euronorris
    Options
    Mine are still flowering and producing beans. They were late to produce any beans though, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    my beans are still languishing all tangled up in small pots in the workshop. Doesn't look like they flowered but they might have - they're half way down a long list of things to do

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Dizzy:- That's good news - long may it continue.

Collected all the squash and put it on some tough mesh I found, well off the ground. It may be my eyesight but I think I can detect a slight change in colour already.

Today's job is to finish off the bed that had the onions in and put out some late veg that is hanging around in the greenhouse.

I'm thinking about taking down the runner beans as they seem to have finished but I'm wondering if anyone gets a late flush of beans and it would be best leaving them in situ for the time being.

I'm getting a late flush of beans flowering and forming after returning from hols and finding lots that other people had missed. They were obviously getting complacent towards autumn and picking has whipped them out of their reverie!

My butternut squash typically take 2-3 days after they are on top of the leaves to change colour.

As for the yellow cucumber I have grown (shop-bought seedling when I thought all of mine had failed) - it has gone quite simply berserk. I must have harvested 40-odd with about the same number in progress! :eek:

Still got possessed courgettes playing grandmother's footsteps too - turn your back and they grow inches bigger!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Managed about an hour out there today, mainly pruning rosemary then repotting a couple of sprigs to see what happens (Monty Don says they take really easily, so let's see if his brown corduroy pants are on fire).

• Suffolk_lass
    Options
    I was finally pruning the lavendar (flowerheads spent, hanging over path) and querying if it's too late to try and root lavendar cuttings - I did them and Rosemary just in a bed with a puddle of sand - he's right that Monty - about 6 of the rosemary cuttings took and now I have to cut them back hard as they have grown to full plants after I forgot to move them.

It's a good thing, as they are away behind the pig shed and are now the only Rosemary without beetles!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    Options
    Have achieved precisely zero in the garden this week as been battling a cold. Had a very quick look this morning before dropping DD to nursery, to find two of the tomato pots had fallen in the wind. Again. Set them up again, and leant against the wall for support. That was all I had time for this morning. Oh, and evicted several slugs that were munching on low hanging strawberries! lol
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Managed another couple of hours out there now the leaky legs saga seems to be behind me. Started seriously cutting back my tomatoes leaving just the good leaves & ripening fruit. I started the same with my padron peppers then realised I could potentially overwinter them, but that said they'd have to come into the house and share a windowsill with the cat, so I can't keep all of them
    https://www.seaspringseeds.co.uk/growing-information/chillies-and-peppers/overwintering-chillies

Of the two damsons on the tree I found one had fallen - only minor peck marks, so I'll have that for breakfast tomorrow, along with the second one which I picked (and might not be quite ready). Blackberries still motoring along, and voice from the other side of the hedge this afternoon promised apples.

• unrecordings
    Options
    Couple more hours out there today. Mrs Un worked her way through 50m of privet. I managed to clean some pots and plant up some ginger root for (hopefully) stem ginger next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure