Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

The all new 2019 growing your own thread! - Page 110

New Post Advanced Search

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

edited 7 March 2019 at 10:14AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
1.5K replies 107.6K views

Replies

• Kantankrus_MareKantankrus_Mare Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have picked my first courgette!!!! :j:j:j

Out of the six plants I have......only two look to be doing what they are supposed to. Havent put any compost or feed where they are so that could be why? Will be putting in different area next year aand feeding the ground first.

One of the old boys came to admire my sweet peas......his are usually far better but havent done well this year. I was asking him about spring cabbage and he told me they should go in now. I told him I havent even got any seeds and he trotted off back to his plot and brought me some. How kind. Weather permitting, I plan to go down for a couple of hours tomorrow and will get them on the go.

Ive been pondering about courgettes. Has anyone grown any in the greenhouse? Was wondering if they would do any good once they have finished outside. Hmm I wonder.
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....2,038.97 miles :j
    Walk 2020 miles in 2020......717.71 miles
    Make £2020 in 2020.......£613.15
  • unrecordingsunrecordings Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I grow my courgettes in the greenhouse - it's too dangerous out there for them (blight, slugs etc). I'm trying to grow them vertically with fair success this year. I'm also picking small for better taste. In fact I got some lovely parma ham reduced at the supermarket deli this morning - anyone know the Italian for 'pigs in blankets' ?

KM - I apply tomato feed once the courgettes are flowering, on a weekly basis when I do the tomatoes/peppers

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    euronorris[/B

Is anyone starting yet to think about what to grow for the Autumn and Winter months?

I,m growing curly Kale which does have to be netted round here to protect it from the pigeons.but is otherwise hardy in cold and bad weather. Have also got a couple of rows of leeks which seem to be pigeon proof.

The other thing I grow which for some reason seems to be pigeon proof here is Swiss Chard. which is another useful green leafy vegetable. I don't like the Bright Lights varieties with the red and yellow stems which look attractive but havea rather earthy flavour.

Instead I grow a big leafy variety called Fordhook Giant which I can really recommend. It's pretty winter hardy, looks attractive with bright green leaves , and grows quite quickly so ensures a ready supply. You just pick off the bigger outer leaves feom each plant as they're ready and it keeps producing new leaves. It also has a wonderful spurt of new green leaves in spring before it finally goes to seed.
    5.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Primrose wrote: »
    I,m growing curly Kale which does have to be netted round here to protect it from the pigeons.but is otherwise hardy in cold and bad weather. Have also got a couple of rows of leeks which seem to be pigeon proof.

The other thing I grow which for some reason seems to be pigeon proof here is Swiss Chard. which is another useful green leafy vegetable. I don't like the Bright Lights varieties with the red and yellow stems which look attractive but havea rather earthy flavour.

Instead I grow a big leafy variety called Fordhook Giant which I can really recommend. It's pretty winter hardy, looks attractive with bright green leaves , and grows quite quickly so ensures a ready supply. You just pick off the bigger outer leaves feom each plant as they're ready and it keeps producing new leaves. It also has a wonderful spurt of new green leaves in spring before it finally goes to seed.

Thats a coincidence. I have grown swiss chard for the first time and it seems to be liking it in the shady area I have put it. Was just reading in my allotment cook book that she also prefers the swiss chard to the bright lights for flavour so Ill stick to that.
  • unrecordingsunrecordings Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got some lovely parma ham reduced at the supermarket deli this morning - anyone know the Italian for 'pigs in blankets' ?

Well that didn't work, the blankets were unwrappable (too thick, doorstep even - I normally avoid the deli when that particular person is serving), but I ate the parma ham with some cheese then wrapped the courgettes in the remaining parma ham fat & rolled them in finely chopped lovage & fennel leaf, before frying up with garlic, shallot & left over potato. Not what I planned but still rather acceptable

In other news, first proper full sized undamaged tomato today - that was eaten as soon as I got it in the kitchen

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • MndMnd Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant about the tomato unrecordings,mine are all still 50 shades of green.

I am red/green colour blind so soon we will be playing our annual game is this one going red? No

The downpour of Friday has brought everything on, just been up the plot and dug potatoes, pulled first baby carrots and french beans, a cabbage with a solid heart!, beetroot lettuce salad onions and first of my main onions, overall very pleased.

Plot looks fine, just waiting to hear from the inspection judging. We have done what we can. Wish me luck
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    After a slow start, I think the annual performance of "Oh No, not another ****** courgette is about to start, having picked another two this morning.

I!m growing two different varieties this year. One is the normal huge bush, the other a more compact variety apparently whose name I,ve forgotten, ie, it's smaller and seems to have smaller leaves which are more curly . Must try and find the packet to remember the variety as I only have a smallish vegetable plot and normally courgettes tend to take up more space than I would like.

However one advantage of growing them is that the veggie plot is located close to my mini pond and in hot weather all the emerging baby froglets have protective cover from the hot sun under which to shelter. I suppose to them it must be like having a jungle on their doorstep!
  • Waterlily24Waterlily24 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Picked our first runner beans this morning, haven't grown much this year but have had onions and pots so far.
    5.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive had two mornings at the plot with about three hours each time. You think you're getting on top of things but there is always another job. :rotfl: I just wish I had someone with me who was as passionate as I am and the work would be halved. OH and father help me a bit but they are more into the structural side of things. Dad has a bad back at moment so it feels like its just down to me. ......At least I can put what I want where without him grumbling. :D

Cleaned up all my garlic and hung in shed. Note to self.....grow more next year! We get through tons of the stuff.

Lifted some onions and layed out to dry. Not my best year and a lot of the reds have gone too thick necked and dont think Ill be able to use them. Still not a bad crop for the money I spent.

Tomatoes keep on coming and cucumbers too which I have never grown myself from seed before. :D

My aubergines have no sign of fruit even though there are plenty of flowers.

Have picked a couple of pak choi.....the rest have gone to seed. How do you all cook yours?

Picked my first spring onions as well :T Will definitely be growing lots of these next year. I keep on putting another row in.

Put lots of spinach in as we use lots of this too so hopefully keep us going towards winter.

One of my sweet pea wigwams seems to be dying off despite me taking off all the seed pods but the other is still doing great.

Had another courgette and another four or five growing so another one here ready for a glut. I love them though so bring it on.

I actually have peppers growing alongside my chillies. Just hoping they grow to a decent size and I can actually pick some this year!

Never ending weeding done as well. Does give me satisfaction though when its freshly weeded.

Happy gardening everyone! :o
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the courgettes, you get eaf mildew when the plant is thristy [seems counterintuitive doesn't it?] and also brown splotchy crispy bits on a plant usually tells you they needs water.
    Are the courgettes in the ground or a pot? They do better in the ground, and they do like a good amount of feed...