National Trust

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Going Out Deals
41 replies 20.9K views

Replies

• rawhammeredrawhammered Forumite
    118 posts
    100 Posts
    SALOPMAN wrote: »
    I get very cross when I see people not trying to support National Trust but as long as the loopholes are there people will and do take advantage, we always go with the Senior Rate with Scottish NT as at about 79 quid for 2 seniors a year we feel we are doing our bit but still getting a bargain. My biggest gripe with any NT is the exhorbitant prices of food and drink - lower your prices guys and profit levels and more will be sold and more will go into the overall coffers of any NT.

Picnics are a thing.
    more enjoyable and very much cheaper
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Picnics are a thing.
    more enjoyable and very much cheaper

Indeed, although most NT gardens will not allow picnics....
  • Money_makerMoney_maker Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, although most NT gardens will not allow picnics....
    Although down south, most NT places will have specific picnic areas in their current drive to get more families joining.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • edited 3 August 2019 at 6:07PM
    Simon_SaysSimon_Says Forumite
    15 posts
    edited 3 August 2019 at 6:07PM
    Can buy the Maltese National Trust membership if you are a non resident. New Zealand heritage have hyped up there prices for non residents. Are there any other options where there is a recipricol arrangement for non residents.
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Simon_Says wrote: »
    Can buy the Maltese National Trust membership if you are a non resident. New Zealand heritage have hyped up there prices for non residents. Are there any other options where there is a recipricol arrangement for non residents.

You've answered your own question. You can buy Maltese National Trust membership as a non-resident.
  • MABLEMABLE Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have now decided not to go ahead with joining the Maltese National Trust and the only reason not because of loyalty to the English NT but purely down to the fact car parking is not free. We worked out the places we would visit on a regular basis and it would work out cheaper for us by doing the English NT. Also we had considered the Scottish NT but only a fraction cheaper.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some NT places are not free parking even for members, ie Wakehurst Place, and it aint cheap, last time it was £10 for 2hrs.
  • onashoestringonashoestring Forumite
    264 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Canadian National Trust Has a reciprocal agreement with English National Trust
    Single membership $40 + tax
    Family membership $70 + tax ( about £50 )

Doesn’t include parking.
  • "I get very cross when I see people not trying to support National Trust but as long as the loopholes are there people will and do take advantage, we always go with the Senior Rate with Scottish NT as at about 79 quid for 2 seniors a year we feel we are doing our bit but still getting a bargain. My biggest gripe with any NT is the exhorbitant prices of food and drink - lower your prices guys and profit levels and more will be sold and more will go into the overall coffers of any NT."
    Originally posted by SALOPMAN

The link to their annual report for 2018/2019 wasn't working for me earlier, but the one to their annual report for 2017/2018 shows that they had £1381 MILLION in the bank.:shocked:

Not sure they need the extra money, and I don't think you need to get cross about other people finding cheaper alternatives - it's not as if they're struggling for money is it?!
  • Paula_SmithPaula_Smith Forumite
    212 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just taking my local NT at Polesden Lacey near Dorking - the car park charges are £2 for up to 2 hours or £5 all day.

So if I went ten times a year on a Scottish/NZ etc. ticket that would cost at least £20 more.

Obviously parking prices will vary across the country and we may well go to more than 10 sites a year.

NTS is £105 for joint membership per anum, English NT is £120 so its probably not worth doing the Scottish membership.