BT YouView box

I'v been a BT broadband customer for around ten years, I have the infinity 2 unlimited.
I'v occasionally considered getting BT TV but usually put it off, we had Sky years ago, but we get fed up with it at the time, constant repeats and limited range of movies etc.
So, yesterday I was strolling round Currys-PC World and saw the BT YouView box, going by the description on the side of the box, it tells you the requirements for BT TV, which I have, outdoor aeriel, good signal for digital TV,and minimum speed, ok i have that.
further down the side of the box a bulleted list of what's also avaliable, number 4 being the one for me "BT TV available to BT Broadband customers with a TV subscription."
So upon that a made the purchase, £125.
I took it home, installed it, turned it on, and the set up was done in a few minutes, beautiful!

In the TV user guide, page 16, you're told, "If you've got BT Broadband, you can open the BT Player and sign up for BT TV."

So, I hit the BT Player button, a bt.com address and a 0800 free phone number popped up, so i went to the web address, live chat popped up so I thought I'll use that, into the chat, (Layla) I said that I'd bought the box and wanted to set it up, "no, you have to subscribe to BT TV and we supply the box" as the box I have wouldn't be insured. I replied, I don't mind. "no, you can only use our box"....

Hmmmm...

So I phoned the 0800 number displayed on the BT Player, I told them I'd bought the BT YouView and wanted to set the box up as described in the user guide...No. You have to subscribe to BT TV and we supply the box..............

The Box is repacked and going back to Currys PC World, and i'm now considering changing broadband providers.

Comments

• If you got fed up of constant repeats and limited range of movies etc on Sky then you wouldn't have liked BT TV anyway, it's basically Freeview with BT Sports and the AMC channel added.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <You posted
    further down the side of the box a bulleted list of what's also avaliable, number 4 being the one for me "BT TV available to BT Broadband customers with a TV subscription.>

You have no TV subscription .

BT account work your way through the TV extras BT box 500GB or UHD versions £49.99 .
  • Also be aware that the BT youview boxes do not like too strong a freeview signal on the freeview HD channels. I have a masthead amp feeding to a distribution amp in the loft, cannot watch freeview HD channels as the picture breaks up or disappears. It's a known problem on the BT forums, I've tried a variety of attenuators but have not solved the problem so end up watching in SD or switching the main TV to freesat (it has freesat HD built in). The above applies both to the youview + and the youview 4k box - I have one of each. Also get picture breakup on BT Sport HD, which is daft as I'm also on fibre 2 unlimited and boxes are connected to router via BT 1Gb powerline adapters!
  • Look at my following paragraph, the user guide says you can sign up from there if you an existing customer. Page 16
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    I have a masthead amp feeding to a distribution amp in the loft, cannot watch freeview HD channels as the picture breaks up or disappears. It's a known problem on the BT forums, I've tried a variety of attenuators but have not solved the problem so end up watching in SD or switching the main TV to freesat (it has freesat HD built in).
    :rotfl:
    Answer is to remove one of the amplifiers to get the signal to between 45 and 65 deciBels ref 1 microVolt at the outlets.

Passive splitter rather than distribution amplifier in loft is likely all that's needed... but a signal meter would confirm.

Any half decent installer should have been able to diagnose and fix for you.
  • JJ_Egan
    <Also get picture breakup on BT Sport HD >

That could well be a REIN problem .
    I have a 3 plug extension socket powering TV and BT Box .
    Remove BT Box power from that socket and use another power point has cleared the problem so far .
  • JJ_Egan
    Look at my following paragraph, the user guide says you can sign up from there if you an existing customer. Page 16

It does not say that on my two users guides.
    But both boxes are BT supplied BT YouView .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure