PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 June 2019 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Well, I've completely lost the plot when it comes to how many coupons I've spent - was it 10 for a 5-pack of M&S knicks? To which I must now add 5 for a pair of "emergency" sandals... needed something cooler than trainers to drive in, and can only find one of my proper walking sandals, infuriatingly. Ah well, they're quite pretty, very comfortable & reasonably sturdy, so hopefully they'll be money - and coupons - well-spent!

ETA: think I need to add the coupon total to my signature so I can keep track!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A portrait of a portly woman, wearing shorts made from a couple of thrown-out window-blinds, and a slipover knitted from unwanted yarn... ;)

Making do and mending!

65493586_10158611812814606_8248606467175743488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQlPVc9cA0Jx5lIV8LoqUTNnxqKDoPRAuPqRpJzOMP65c1X_ia5AiRUZqLFeUvUuE5U&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=6003e4590ff4ccff776bb58d16d1c68c&oe=5D841E1A
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Well done you, Laura. I'm useless at sewing clothes - I don't think I've really got the patience for it. All I've done this year is re-elasicated a summer skirt which was at least 30 years old - but summer clothes just never seem to wear out.

Thanks for the tip re the DK and 4 ply, Pipney-Jane, I will try that. I am allergic to wool - its the long fibres in it, I think. As the moment I am knitting up some Herdswick wool which again I must have had for over 30 years ago, which is extremely hairy and is like knitting up greasy string - but as I'm also living on anti-hystamines for hayfever, it seemed an ideal time to do it!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Afternoon All

We're half way through the year. Congratulations on your self restraint and careful coupon spending. (Happy new Australian Tax Year to any Aussies that happen to be passing.)

Laura, that outfit looks "Designer". Nobody would ever know that you've cobbled it together out of a set of old blinds and leftover yarn. The colours work together beautifully.

What did you do to the back of your right forearm? Looks like gravel rash or an insect bite.

Capricorn Lass, I'm sorry to hear that you're allergic to wool. It sounds like you have a response similar to cat allergy - itchy eyes and sneezing. Hopefully none of the other natural fibres (alpaca, mohair, cashmere) cause the same reaction.

CAFCgirl, what colour(s) did you buy?

Thriftwizard, you aren't the only one. I used to keep a sidebar going on my blog, but I haven't been near my blog in months. This year, I've had to check back through the thread to find my previous post listing my purchases. (I always thought I was too lazy to bother updating my signature but, I'm beginning to think that IS the lazy option.)

Since we are halfway through the year, I've decided to set myself some thrifty Fashion-on-the-Ration related challenges for the next six months.
    1. Really finish my pile of FO's and photograph them for Ravelry. Including my latest sweater, there are eight FO's on this list: Audrey in Unst, Entertain in this, Summer Jumpers Are Casual, the Crawford sweater, Deco cardigan, the Woolly Nanette Tee, Rapid Garden Cardigan and the Wagtail Mohair Bolero. Most just need sewing up or other hand finishing.
    2. Fix the Acer cardigan. I knitted the shoulder of one side of the front at least an inch longer than the other and didn't notice until after I'd worn it. I'm procrastinating over this because I'm scared that I'll wreck it while taking it apart.
    3. Complete 5 pairs of socks. I usually knit a pair of socks a month, so this is do-able.
    4. Knit four sweaters from stash yarn, including the one I started yesterday while watching the cricket highlights at 11pm. (No wonder I'm a zombie today.)
    5. Lose an inch from my waist, preferably two inches. (It's 38 inches around!). All my excess weight is around my waist. I have several of good quality suits that i can't wear because I can't do up the jacket. The wake up call was Thursday, when I wore my size 16, 1999 job-hunting, skirt-suit and struggled to zip up the skirt. Think of the coupons I wouldn't have to spend on work clothes, if I could just conquer my waist.

Feel free to hold me accountable.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have,
    Peacock Blue
    Provincial Lilac,
    Frozen Berry
    Terrarium Green
    Olive Oil

The yarn feels lovely on the fingers, very rounded as smooth.
    I'm still working on my carbon big cake, about halfway through and then to find a complementary colour in my stash for the sleeves.

Oooh I like the idea of some 2nd half challenges. I may just have a think on some too
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I am allergic to wool - its the long fibres in it, I think. As the moment I am knitting up some Herdswick wool which again I must have had for over 30 years ago, which is extremely hairy and is like knitting up greasy string - but as I'm also living on anti-hystamines for hayfever, it seemed an ideal time to do it!

Oooh, Herdwick is THE best yarn in the world for sock-heels but I can't imagine using it for anything else! It must be the single most itchy wool I know of... the Herdwick breed is an older fells type which has long stiff "guard-hairs" to keep rain off the softer under-fleece, and it is seriously harsh on skin, and sheds fibres like no other wool I've worked with.

I think 99% of people would find Herdwick difficult to work with or wear - I add it to hiking-sock heels but find I sneeze and sniffle while knitting it - and I'm NOT allergic to wool!

I suggest trying something else...! In fact, what you want is longer fibres, as they come adrift less often to break off and be inhaled, and have fewer ends sticking out to irritate skin. One of the reasons lots of people have developed a problem wearing wool is that the cheaper modern way of processing can involve using cotton-processing machines to chop it all up and spin it by brute force into a strand, rather than the older, slower, costlier way of combing the fibres parallel to spin those.

Good luck finding something else - but really, Herdwick would be the worst possible yarn to use for anyone allergic!

What thickness is it? I might buy it from you, if it's sock-heelable...
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Laura, that outfit looks "Designer". Nobody would ever know that you've cobbled it together out of a set of old blinds and leftover yarn. The colours work together beautifully.

What did you do to the back of your right forearm? Looks like gravel rash or an insect bite.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

My right forearm - ah, well... I came out of a supermarket last week and saw a bloke I know by sight (I chat to lots of folk as I walk home form the shops in the morning) who had a new dog. It seemed placid enough and he was very pleased to show it off and introduce it to me, so as it snuffled peaceably round my ankles, I put my hand down to pat its head - at which point it leapt up with both forelimbs wrapped round my arm at the elbow and he had to drag it off... at the time I jsut commented on the sharp claws but had no idea it had broken the skin. A few minutes later on the walk home I thought I had an insect on my inner-wrist and shook my hand to get it off, glanced and saw blood dripping off my fingers...!!!!!

He was a bit behind me, so I walked back to show him and he was absolutely mortified, and said it hadn't done that before - I said I'd be fine, but suggested keeping it on a really short leash when it's meeting people... I think he will do!! He was horrified...

But its claws slashed multiple puncture wounds...! Luckily I heal really well; I got home (arm held well out to the side to keep clothes clean!) I stood over the bathroom sink, and held a facecloth sodden with diluted Dettol on it to clean it and flood the punctures, and put a dressing on it til my chap got home - and of course he is now a world expert on spotting early signs of infection as he has now changed the dressings on his son's twenty-one open surgical sounds every time since about early February when he left the ICU/HDU, and will be doing so, til next year... so he's kept an eye on it,
    Since we are halfway through the year, I've decided to set myself some thrifty Fashion-on-the-Ration related challenges for the next six months.
    1. Really finish my pile of FO's and photograph them for Ravelry. Including my latest sweater, there are eight FO's on this list: Audrey in Unst, Entertain in this, Summer Jumpers Are Casual, the Crawford sweater, Deco cardigan, the Woolly Nanette Tee, Rapid Garden Cardigan and the Wagtail Mohair Bolero. Most just need sewing up or other hand finishing.
    2. Fix the Acer cardigan. I knitted the shoulder of one side of the front at least an inch longer than the other and didn't notice until after I'd worn it. I'm procrastinating over this because I'm scared that I'll wreck it while taking it apart.
    3. Complete 5 pairs of socks. I usually knit a pair of socks a month, so this is do-able.
    4. Knit four sweaters from stash yarn, including the one I started yesterday while watching the cricket highlights at 11pm. (No wonder I'm a zombie today.)
    5. Lose an inch from my waist, preferably two inches. (It's 38 inches around!). All my excess weight is around my waist. I have several of good quality suits that i can't wear because I can't do up the jacket. The wake up call was Thursday, when I wore my size 16, 1999 job-hunting, skirt-suit and struggled to zip up the skirt. Think of the coupons I wouldn't have to spend on work clothes, if I could just conquer my waist.

Feel free to hold me accountable.

- Pip

I like this idea, and will join you on the waist - mine is also 38 inches AND it is the only thing stopping me from wearing a number of nice skirts. I have a wardrobe filled with skirts I don't know whether I suit or like because I can't remember when I last wore them...

So - down to 36 inches by the end of the year???? You're on.

I also want to make a green linen skirt (fabric ready), and finish a pair of crimson culottes from last winter. I also have a gorgeous 1940s-style dressing-gown cut out and ready to sew, in utterly fab pale-pink heavy satin, AND have enough cream soft viscose lining material ready to cut out and sew.
    I need boot-socks for my new hiking-boots my friend sent me. I only have shoe-socks, and need some with longer cuffs for the ankle-high boots.
    And I have a gorgeous striped 4-ply cardigan ready to knit, and a gorgeous green cardigan-jacket combining several Starmore patterns to knit. I also have the 3-ply to knit the most utterly utterly utterly gorgeous Fair Isle cardigan once I get round to designing it...

I just need to sodding well DO it.

1. Finish blue slipover
    2. knit longer socks
    3. make green linen skirt
    4. finish crimson culottes

Oh, and I have a few yards of rich red crushed velvet to make a going-out skirt and top to look like a dress, and haven't ruddy well done that either. ARGH!!!!!

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bit of a stroke of luck this morning! DD1 wanted to take a look at the recycling company's new Emporium, so I took her down there. It's the end of their working week - they close on Tuesdays to "refresh" the stock, i.e. haul all the unsold stuff out to be baled up & sent elsewhere, and haul all the newly-rejected stuff in - so I wasn't expecting to find very much. But to my surprise, there were a number of things suitable for my stall - pretty old headsquares, several good hats, some good tweed fabric, a nice leather jacket in a sensible size, that kind of thing - and a pair of absolutely pristine Clarks sensible walking-type sandals. They've clearly never been worn - no toe imprints, not a scuff on the sole, straps still in "factory" position - and although they're a size up from my usual 39, they're not at all a bad fit. Just £2, and no coupons! So now I have pretty, comfortable sandals and sensible comfortable sandals. No excuses for not doing my 3 miles a day now...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    I have,
    Peacock Blue
    Provincial Lilac,
    Frozen Berry
    Terrarium Green
    Olive Oil

The yarn feels lovely on the fingers, very rounded as smooth.
    I'm still working on my carbon big cake, about halfway through and then to find a complementary colour in my stash for the sleeves.

Oooh I like the idea of some 2nd half challenges. I may just have a think on some too

Those colours look lovely. (I checked them out via Google.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

My right forearm - ah, well... I came out of a supermarket last week and saw a bloke I know by sight (I chat to lots of folk as I walk home form the shops in the morning) who had a new dog. It seemed placid enough and he was very pleased to show it off and introduce it to me, so as it snuffled peaceably round my ankles, I put my hand down to pat its head - at which point it leapt up with both forelimbs wrapped round my arm at the elbow and he had to drag it off... at the time I jsut commented on the sharp claws but had no idea it had broken the skin. A few minutes later on the walk home I thought I had an insect on my inner-wrist and shook my hand to get it off, glanced and saw blood dripping off my fingers...!!!!!

He was a bit behind me, so I walked back to show him and he was absolutely mortified, and said it hadn't done that before - I said I'd be fine, but suggested keeping it on a really short leash when it's meeting people... I think he will do!! He was horrified...

But its claws slashed multiple puncture wounds...! Luckily I heal really well; I got home (arm held well out to the side to keep clothes clean!) I stood over the bathroom sink, and held a facecloth sodden with diluted Dettol on it to clean it and flood the punctures, and put a dressing on it til my chap got home - and of course he is now a world expert on spotting early signs of infection as he has now changed the dressings on his son's twenty-one open surgical sounds every time since about early February when he left the ICU/HDU, and will be doing so, til next year... so he's kept an eye on it,

Ouch!!! You did the right thing, though, even if the Dettol stung.

How is the Offspring now? If there isn't a clean cut, which can be stitched quickly so the sides knit together, wounds heal from the bottom up. It'll feel like they're taking forever, but I'm betting the wounds have shrunk considerably over the last few months.

I like this idea, and will join you on the waist - mine is also 38 inches AND it is the only thing stopping me from wearing a number of nice skirts. I have a wardrobe filled with skirts I don't know whether I suit or like because I can't remember when I last wore them...

So - down to 36 inches by the end of the year???? You're on.

Consider your hand shaken. Deal. (I don't think there's an icon, so :beer: will have to do.)

I also want to make a green linen skirt (fabric ready), and finish a pair of crimson culottes from last winter. I also have a gorgeous 1940s-style dressing-gown cut out and ready to sew, in utterly fab pale-pink heavy satin, AND have enough cream soft viscose lining material ready to cut out and sew.
    I need boot-socks for my new hiking-boots my friend sent me. I only have shoe-socks, and need some with longer cuffs for the ankle-high boots.
    And I have a gorgeous striped 4-ply cardigan ready to knit, and a gorgeous green cardigan-jacket combining several Starmore patterns to knit. I also have the 3-ply to knit the most utterly utterly utterly gorgeous Fair Isle cardigan once I get round to designing it...

I just need to sodding well DO it.

1. Finish blue slipover
    2. knit longer socks
    3. make green linen skirt
    4. finish crimson culottes

Oh, and I have a few yards of rich red crushed velvet to make a going-out skirt and top to look like a dress, and haven't ruddy well done that either. ARGH!!!!!

Welcome to the madness. Is the velvet outfit to be number 5?

I've never made knee high socks. The closest I got were a slightly modified version of Sodera Socks, but they ride down with wear, unlike my regular pattern (quoted above with the 68 round leg). I've contemplated ripping out the ribbed cuff and knitting in elastic but haven't found a suitable product to incorporate. (They're toe up socks.) If you look at the photos on the pattern page, the designer has resorted to threading a ribbon through.

Also, my project notes say "Decided after completing first sock that I’d do 4 increases on the leg of the second (first sock had two). Increased after leg rows 84, 92, 100 and 108, to get to 84 stitches. At row 120, commenced k2 p2 rib. Ribbed for 19 rows (row 139 of leg). " I made the changes to get a better fit but it still doesn't stop them falling down after a few minutes walking.

- Pip

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure