PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Heh heh heh, Pip, m'dear! We've all been caught out like that...

By ripple scarf do you mean the things that end up being ruffles? I made a huge one in pale pink cheap Hobbycraft-alpaca for a niece for Xmas, and a smaller one in cheap Hobbycraft purple-acrylic-with-glitter for a friend's little girl last winter...

Yes, that's what I meant, a ruffle scarf. Yours looks lovely - the broom is very fetching.

My wrists are still aching, after 6 hours of hard crochet on Saturday evening/Sunday morning.
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    You were right next door to me Pipney!
    Admittedly I don't do Sweeps because anxiety sucks but a 8 minutes drive to the hospital direction and that's me! LOL

Thank You all for the sympathy too. Not sure I mentioned investigations for a health complaint I have. Well turns out from my appointment last week, I still have that complaint but also add in a brain issue which is not being investigated for severity and significance - sigh.... So feeling all sorry for myself.
    The bolero didn't quite turn out BUT I can see what would need changing so a win in that respect.
    Decided next up is going to be an origami knit bag. Now just to decide on yarn from the stash.

Hugs to you, CAFCGirl. I hope the medics get things sorted soon (including the brain issue).

(((((((((CAFCGirl))))))))))))

DH's best mate lives in Gillingham so we go to Sweeps every year. It really was bitter. Nobody was hanging around. The pubs were packed but the open areas (the castle, the moat, etc) were not crowded. I've seen the High Street more crowded in the rain. They'd moved the food stalls/farmers market from the car park to the front of the Cathedral and all the stall holders were shivering. The only plus was that, when I stocked up on sausages from the Giggly Pig Company, I didn't have to worry about them being too warm for safety (unlike last year).

We took shelter in the Flipping Frog.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I meant, a ruffle scarf. Yours looks lovely - the broom is very fetching.

My wrists are still aching, after 6 hours of hard crochet on Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

Hugs to you, CAFCGirl. I hope the medics get things sorted soon (including the brain issue).

(((((((((CAFCGirl))))))))))))

DH's best mate lives in Gillingham so we go to Sweeps every year. It really was bitter. Nobody was hanging around. The pubs were packed but the open areas (the castle, the moat, etc) were not crowded. I've seen the High Street more crowded in the rain. They'd moved the food stalls/farmers market from the car park to the front of the Cathedral and all the stall holders were shivering. The only plus was that, when I stocked up on sausages from the Giggly Pig Company, I didn't have to worry about them being too warm for safety (unlike last year).

We took shelter in the Flipping Frog.

- Pip

haha! That's where I live!
    Thank You for the hugs and love :A

I've decided on using one of the yarn cakes for my origami bag I think..... It needs to be about 18 inches wide so will reconfigure my loom this afternoon and get started, keeps my brain occupied for the evening then

I overheard a conversation about a documentary on the fashion industry from an eco perspective. Anyone happen to know what that might be? I thought I heard Netflix mentioned for it but my search isn't showing anything
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it's probably ' The true cost of fashion', which is on Netflix. Be warned though, it's not an easy watch, but will almost certainly change the way you shop!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    haha! That's where I live!

Then you’ll know about the really excellent new-ish Greek restaurant on Watling Street, where we had dinner on Saturday night? Near QuickFit. Yummm!
    Thank You for the hugs and love :A

I've decided on using one of the yarn cakes for my origami bag I think..... It needs to be about 18 inches wide so will reconfigure my loom this afternoon and get started, keeps my brain occupied for the evening then

I overheard a conversation about a documentary on the fashion industry from an eco perspective. Anyone happen to know what that might be? I thought I heard Netflix mentioned for it but my search isn't showing anything

If you listen to podcasts, you might find some of the episodes of Make It British, which is a podcast dedicated to manufacturing in the UK. The host has been a clothing designer, manufacturer and fashion buyer for one of the big High Street brands. Episodes aren’t long - 15-20 minutes usually - and sustainability comes up time and again.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On fab! Thank you both.
    For the forwarding too - although I'm at a stage where I think I need to be watching the tough stuff, the real stuff and not why away from it anymore.

The restaurant - just along the road from me LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lots of hugs from me CAFCGirl, hope all goes well x
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, best wishes from me too, CAFCGirl!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy more sock yarn.

I definitely do not *need* it.

However....

A friend gave me some yarn in a clear-out, colours I'd never ever have chosen - and one pair of socks in particular turned out such gorgeous self-patterning colours I really love them, still, a year later...

That yarn is currently on sale at 2/3 its normal price. I've checked Rav;'s stash-sales a couple of times, and it's never been in anyone's 'will sell' category in the UK.

So... do I buy four skeins of sock yarn, because it is a colourway I really love, I enjoy wearing, and which I've actively been keeping an eye open for?

Or do I get all hard-nosed about it and say, I have enough socks, and if I didn't, I have plenty of yarn already, even if it isn't as pretty.

It would be 4 coupons, off my precious 33.5 left... and it wouldn't make sense to buy fewer because the postage is as much as two skeins at sale-price...

Dilemma!
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy more sock yarn.

I definitely do not *need* it.

However....

A friend gave me some yarn in a clear-out, colours I'd never ever have chosen - and one pair of socks in particular turned out such gorgeous self-patterning colours I really love them, still, a year later...

That yarn is currently on sale at 2/3 its normal price. I've checked Rav;'s stash-sales a couple of times, and it's never been in anyone's 'will sell' category in the UK.

So... do I buy four skeins of sock yarn, because it is a colourway I really love, I enjoy wearing, and which I've actively been keeping an eye open for?

Or do I get all hard-nosed about it and say, I have enough socks, and if I didn't, I have plenty of yarn already, even if it isn't as pretty.

It would be 4 coupons, off my precious 33.5 left... and it wouldn't make sense to buy fewer because the postage is as much as two skeins at sale-price...

Dilemma!

OK, a couple of questions to clarify the level of your desire:
    1. How long have you been thinking about it?
    2. Would you regret it if you didn’t have another pair of these socks to fall back on when the first pair dies?
    3. How much yarn do you use to make one pair of socks?

The reason for the first question, is so that you can prove to yourself that it isn’t a whim. The second question is just a follow-on from the first.

The reason for the third question is because, if I like a colourway, I’ll now buy 2x100g balls or 3x50g balls, so that I have enough to make at least 2 pairs. I’ve been caught out a few times, where I’ve knitted socks as a gift and then wished for a pair for myself but only have enough yarn left for a single sock or a pair of footlets and cannot find any more in that colourway online. My solution then is to knit “Use-em-ups”:

DSCN6007_medium2.JPG

You know I’m not going to talk you out of this purchase if you really want that yarn in that colourway. 200g is enough for me to make 1 pair of girl-sized socks and 2 pairs of man-sized, so one pair for me, one pair for DH and one pair as a gift, either male or female sized. I know you knit your socks tighter than I do, so 200g will give you 2 more pairs plus, possibly, enough to make some fingerless mitts to match.

Hope this helps your decision process.

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    You're a star - I had not even half a second's hesitation and NO sense of furtive, "ooh go on then" sneaking in the 'right' answers...

Straightforwardly: since about halfway down the heel of the first sock, I really loved it. I have been keeping an eye on Rav-Stash searches ever since, over a year. I've looked for anything as similarly refreshing and colourful and haven't found it. I've had a go at dyeing to reproduce it and haven't managed it. Yes, I would regret it, when those ones die. And one ball does me one pair of my little ankle socks - mostly I knit little socks to wear with plimsoles or little lace-up shoes, so 50g will do me a pair. Occasionally I eke it out by putting stripes in the midfoot of a similar-but-not-quite, or totally contrasting, yarn.

So I think the speed and unhesitatingness of those replies tells me - I buy this yarn. It's worth four coupons.

Thankyou!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure