E-On.....The Struggle Continues

Options
Little bit of background. Had E-on before I moved house, was happy with them on the whole so decided to stay with them in my new house.

Should have been extremely simple switch back in September. Took dual fuel at a set DD each month. All was well, or so I thought.
Turns out only one meter switched over provider and my electric is in limbo. I paided my final bill with the previous supplier and started my DD with E-on.
Month passes and I notice I cannot enter meter readings online, phones up customer services to be told "all is well" and the switch is taking a little longer. No problem here's my readings over the phone.

Roll on the following month, still not able to input readings but the Gas is showing on my online account, the electric is not. Another long drawn out phone call....usual we will take all details, input it in the system but nothing to worry about....blah blah blah

I ring 2 weeks later to be told only my gas switched over and they have no idea about the electricity, they took meter details and said their switch over team will sort this out within 2 weeks. That was 3 weeks ago. Still not resolved but still taking the full DD amount off me and not using it.
I have no idea where I stand, who I will eventually owe 3.months of electricity payments to, what tariff the electricity is running on.

I am beyond disappointed with E-on and their customer service, the lack of information and their inability to solve the problem. Surely a switch over should be a straight forward routine thing for them?!

Anybody suffered the same?

PS sorry for long post

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2018 at 1:52PM
    Options
    It does happen. When you moved home, did you contact the Deemed Supplier for the property? Cutting the Deemed Supplier out of the loop is a potential recipe for the situation that you now find yourself in. Without your details, they could have blocked the switch. You wouldn't know as they did not have your details.

If the situation is as above, then you will owe the Deemed Supplier for all energy that has been used. If I were you, I would check the two databases and find out who is listed as your supplier. If necessary, call them with a meter reading and your details and the transfer should then go through. The money paid to E.oN will then be a credit on your account.

https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/who-is-my-energy-supplier/

What is a Deemed Contract?

Quote: Schedule 2B paragraph 8(1) of the Gas Act and Schedule 6 paragraph 3(1) of the Electricity Act, respectively, provide that where a supplier supplies gas or electricity to premises or a consumer otherwise than in pursuance of a contract, the supplier shall be deemed to have contracted with the consumer for the supply of gas or electricity from the time when he began to supply that gas or electricity. Typically a deemed contract will occur where a customer moves into a new property and has not agreed contractual terms with a supplier who is supplying energy to that property or where a fixed term contract expires and there are no explicit provisions for terms and conditions for the period immediately after expiry.

The group notes that deemed contracts play a vital role in the energy market. The nature of supply is such that it would be inefficient, given current metering technology, to disconnect premises when a customer had moved out and reconnect the premises upon application for a contract by a new occupant. In addition, suppliers may not always be aware of customer movements until a period of time has elapsed after the event. A deemed contract therefore seeks to provide a sound and binding basis upon which suppliers will supply customers where a contract has not been expressly agreed. It also provides suppliers with a clear basis upon which to charge for that supply. Unquote Source: Ofgem
  • RuralDreams
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I have the final bill letters from previous supplier who was supplying the house when I moved in. No harm in giving them a call to establish all is correct their end and make sure nothing has slipped up but I doubt the fault lies with them.

I feel more let down than anything, after chasing up Eon multiple times they fail to ever give a proper answer, fob me off with "our connections team will sort it, takes 2 weeks".
    I'm not unreasonable and acknowledge problems happen but I do expect a reasonable time frame for resolving the issue and somebody to be able to answer my questions honestly and accurately when I phone them.

Not the greatest time of the year to phone either company so I will be back on the case tomorrow or 3rd
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Little bit of background. Had E-on before I moved house, was happy with them on the whole so decided to stay with them in my new house.

Should have been extremely simple switch back in September. Took dual fuel at a set DD each month. All was well, or so I thought.
    Turns out only one meter switched over provider and my electric is in limbo. I paided my final bill with the previous supplier and started my DD with E-on.
    Month passes and I notice I cannot enter meter readings online, phones up customer services to be told "all is well" and the switch is taking a little longer. No problem here's my readings over the phone.

Roll on the following month, still not able to input readings but the Gas is showing on my online account, the electric is not. Another long drawn out phone call....usual we will take all details, input it in the system but nothing to worry about....blah blah blah

I ring 2 weeks later to be told only my gas switched over and they have no idea about the electricity, they took meter details and said their switch over team will sort this out within 2 weeks. That was 3 weeks ago. Still not resolved but still taking the full DD amount off me and not using it.
    I have no idea where I stand, who I will eventually owe 3.months of electricity payments to, what tariff the electricity is running on.

I am beyond disappointed with E-on and their customer service, the lack of information and their inability to solve the problem. Surely a switch over should be a straight forward routine thing for them?!

Anybody suffered the same?

PS sorry for long post
    Thanks for the reply. I have the final bill letters from previous supplier who was supplying the house when I moved in. No harm in giving them a call to establish all is correct their end and make sure nothing has slipped up but I doubt the fault lies with them.

I feel more let down than anything, after chasing up Eon multiple times they fail to ever give a proper answer, fob me off with "our connections team will sort it, takes 2 weeks".
    I'm not unreasonable and acknowledge problems happen but I do expect a reasonable time frame for resolving the issue and somebody to be able to answer my questions honestly and accurately when I phone them.

Not the greatest time of the year to phone either company so I will be back on the case tomorrow or 3rd

Hello RuralDreams and many thanks for your interest in joining us. I'm sorry you've not had a very good experience so far.

It could be, as Hengus says, the previous supplier has blocked the electricity from switching. Possibly because of an issue with the details held by the National Databases all suppliers use when putting through a switch. Before calling either supplier, it'll help if you've the meter serial number (from the meter itself and not any paperwork). the Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) and the full postal address. This will help speed things up.

Given your experiences with us so far, I'd recommend raising a formal complaint. A dedicated Complaint Manager will investigate and advise what needs to happen to sort this out.

Don't worry, the money you've been paying will be held in your account ready for when the electricity goes live with us. Or, if it turns out the other supplier has been providing the electricity, we can sort out a refund.

Sorry again this has been dragging on and you've not had a good start with us.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • RuralDreams
    Options
    Spoke to E-on and they eventually put me in touch with a manager who did say I was indeed with them and that when they eventually do get the issue resolved that any monies owed will be to E-on, so no hassle between 2 different suppliers.

However still waiting for the issue to be resolved, 4 weeks and counting. I will shortly make yet another call to check status but to be totally honest it was been a shambles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure