Online in branch banking security

Options
2»

Comments

• fjh
    fjh Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As others have said - 'control' your finances via Online / Telephone banking ( most banks have a 'security promise' relating to use of Digital - in simple terms if you have not facilitated any fraud you get your money back- this g'tee will be available in writing) then gain cash ( if that is needed) via internal ATM - at most banks
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Timeclips wrote: »
    How can a password be covered up when I need two hands to type it?

How can you need two hands to type a password when a password is a string of characters which need to be keyed one after another, rather than pressing all keys simultaneously?

If you are worried about thieves across the street with cameras looking in through a window from long range, but you know where the window is because you've been scoping it out yourself: you could probably position yourself, or the keyboard, or some other object (like a hand, arm, bag or piece of paper), while pecking away at the keyboard, to frustrate those undesirables.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I hate open-plan; can't see the point of it in most cases especially the one the OP refers to.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    How can you need two hands to type a password when a password is a string of characters which need to be keyed one after another, rather than pressing all keys simultaneously?
    Uppercase / special characters may need the use of the Shift key at the same time, so two handed operation may be required.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    In the vast majority of cases the shift or CTRL keys etc can be operated with the same hand as the main keys. Most keyboards duplicate these keys on the left and the right of the keyboard.

It is how people who can only operate the keyboard manage.

I have never, ever been required to key a password at a building society branch, why would you?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    I have never, ever been required to key a password at a building society branch, why would you?

Nationwide branches have a computer monitor and keyboard where customers can log into their own accounts. You need to use your normal online banking details.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Nationwide branches have a computer monitor and keyboard where customers can log into their own accounts. You need to use your normal online banking details.
    Yes, but you should login using your debit card and card reader, not your password!

The password should be used only where you can do so securely.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect the OP is not really looking for advice on what to do / not do, but is hoping to start a 'Peoples Bandwagon' to put pressure on the BS to change its policy.

The reactions from posters here suggests this bandwagon is not about to take off.......
  • Timeclips
    Timeclips Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2019 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Ok, some of you didn't quite understand, but for those that did, it appears that there aren't many of you that are bothered by 'open plan' privacy, so I'll try to be less paranoid.

I probably won't use them though, as so far no-one has seen me log in clearly, I'll most likely keep it that way.

I hear of people loosing their life savings, by fraud, and life savings take a long time to get.

Thanks for your replies, and don't get scammed.
    Tim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport