2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a good idea, Siebrie, as it focusses you more on what's important and helps you prioritise spending.

Spent the day preparing a new garden area, transplanting herbs and then did some outdoor crafting with a couple of others who are enjoying frugal breaks here. The students are camping out at Frugaldom so that has been interesting for them, especially as the roosters are !!!!-a-doodle-doo-ing from dawn. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Re nsd's: I have mentioned it before on this forum, but maybe not on this thread: when I was on a very tight budget, I had one spend day per week. That was the only day I allowed myself to pay bills, buy stamps, buy (stuff to make) gifts, set aside collection money, buy train tickets, go grocery shopping.

It forced me to prepare thoroughly, think my week through, think about friends and relatives with upcoming events/birthdays/milestones, check my wardrobe, search for recipes to use up the ingredients in my pantry (1 shelf in my kitchen :)). And once I had done that, which took about two hours every week, I could finish my shopping very fast, and be free the rest of the week.

That's a really good idea. I'm assuming that doesn't include your bills that go out of your account automatically by direct debit or standing order. Perhaps I should try and just time my spending to those days I know that I have bills going out. That might focus my mind more so I don't overspend.

I have now been paid and my overspend from last month has been deducted. I should be okay as long as I stick to my budget which I will try very hard to do. My problem seems to be when I do things with other people when they suggest "getting a coffee" or "do you fancy a trip to this show in November" so I then have to stump up the money there and then instead of waiting. I have stopped saying yes to so many so there is an improvement there. I did have a no spend day yesterday so that's a start.

I have got my working holiday later on this month which I have already got the spending money for. I have got my dance classes to pay out for as it is "pay as you go", and when I go swimming with my nephew he likes to go to a "caf!" afterwards and he is always really hungry. I may have to explain to him that I can't do that so often. I am limiting the "projects" I am planning for this month that involve expenditure. I have only allowed myself one which I did at the weekend at the cost of £10.00. Lets hope I can keep a determined no spend attitude going for the next 4 weeks.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree that planning seems to be the key to frugal living (or even budgeting generally)

I'm on and off the frugal wagon like one of those city tourer buses, but each time I learn something new about myself and how I handle money.

I also agree that debt repayment, and now saving, is a long, boring journey and I'm struggling to not binge spend every month or so and just plan in my spending (there's that planning again!)

Still, the updates on here remind me I'm not on my own and the Debt Free wannabee forum helps me to realise/remember how far I've come. :)
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Play rounders, Frankie - if you can save £1.20, try to round up to £1.50, then £2, then £5, then £10... I became quite obsessive with my round numbers and called it numerical OCD. I hated seeing odd numbers (still do) so I am still rounding up to nearest £50 whenever possible and then I buy Premium Bonds, as then the numbers stay rounded. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    I firmly believe being organised is one of the biggest skills which support a debt reduction drive or frugal living.

I count NSD's when I don't spend any cash from my purse - I hoard food when I am stressed so popping into a shop without a list is a license to spend money for me!! I write every spend down in a book (have done for years) which is a mindful exercise and allows me to plan, write lists and get organised for coming days and weeks spending.

When I started out I probably spent money every day but honed it over time to 45% NSD's last year and I am aiming for 50% NSD's this year.

This process works for me but everyone has to find their own way and that is the beauty of this Forum and people sharing their best practice is that I will often think "oh I like that idea" and put it into practice.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I firmly believe being organised is one of the biggest skills which support a debt reduction drive or frugal living.

I count NSD's when I don't spend any cash from my purse - I hoard food when I am stressed so popping into a shop without a list is a license to spend money for me!! I write every spend down in a book (have done for years) which is a mindful exercise and allows me to plan, write lists and get organised for coming days and weeks spending.

When I started out I probably spent money every day but honed it over time to 45% NSD's last year and I am aiming for 50% NSD's this year.

This process works for me but everyone has to find their own way and that is the beauty of this Forum and people sharing their best practice is that I will often think "oh I like that idea" and put it into practice.

Agreed. What helps me, as well, is quarantining my money into multiple pots on payday, so that I never accidentally spend money later in the month that is earmarked for something else (e.g. moving the household bills money into the Joint Bills Account, so that the mortgage, etc, are covered). Whatever is left in my current account on the day after payday is my money to live off for the month.

If you've seen the annoying new Nationwide ads, "Payday = Save Day" is an extension of the same quarantine concept.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi! I've been lurking for the past few days and would love to join in.

Very long story short - two years ago, my ex broke up with me out of the blue (for me at least!). I moved back to the UK and spent last year in survival mode. I was in a job that I didn't really enjoy but it allowed me the financial space to save enough to start my small business that I'm now running full time. Frugality for me is a huge part in setting up for the rest of my life. I'll probably need a new-to-me car next year that I don't want to get into debt for, and the year after I want to have enough of a deposit to purchase my first property. I also have friends and family all over the world and would love to travel more. I'm single with no kids so only have myself to worry about.

I think I already do pretty well with being frugal - I batch cook and make foodie gifts (the jam I made with the first batch of blackberries I foraged went down a treat with my friends last week :D), I don't eat much junk/processed food and make most things from scratch, I'm already a veggie which reduces costs, I haven't bought any non-work clothes yet this year except underwear, I have weights and a yoga mat at home (plus I live near the seaside so I run outside a lot) so no gym membership required...

My main other reason for being frugal is to even out my cashflow - I'd love to get to the point where I can pay myself a small salary automatically out of savings rather than constantly waiting for invoices to be paid, and I'd like to reach that point by this time next year. Oh, and there's this thing called a 'pension' that everyone goes on about... ;)

So that's me! I've read quite a lot from this year, and you all seem lovely and determined!
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In keeping with the planning theme, I've batch cooked a few meals for the freezer and planned my week socially so there are no unexpected spends.

I'm also busy unsubscribing from marketing emails, I don't often succumb but better not to be tempted at all.
  • ladymay wrote: »
    Hi! I've been lurking for the past few days and would love to join in.

Very long story short - two years ago, my ex broke up with me out of the blue (for me at least!). I moved back to the UK and spent last year in survival mode. I was in a job that I didn't really enjoy but it allowed me the financial space to save enough to start my small business that I'm now running full time. Frugality for me is a huge part in setting up for the rest of my life. I'll probably need a new-to-me car next year that I don't want to get into debt for, and the year after I want to have enough of a deposit to purchase my first property. I also have friends and family all over the world and would love to travel more. I'm single with no kids so only have myself to worry about.

I think I already do pretty well with being frugal - I batch cook and make foodie gifts (the jam I made with the first batch of blackberries I foraged went down a treat with my friends last week :D), I don't eat much junk/processed food and make most things from scratch, I'm already a veggie which reduces costs, I haven't bought any non-work clothes yet this year except underwear, I have weights and a yoga mat at home (plus I live near the seaside so I run outside a lot) so no gym membership required...

My main other reason for being frugal is to even out my cashflow - I'd love to get to the point where I can pay myself a small salary automatically out of savings rather than constantly waiting for invoices to be paid, and I'd like to reach that point by this time next year. Oh, and there's this thing called a 'pension' that everyone goes on about... ;)

So that's me! I've read quite a lot from this year, and you all seem lovely and determined!

Hello. You sound like you are pretty much there on the frugalling side. I suspect you will have some very useful tips for everyone.

I currently do have a gym membership but I am thinking hard about whether I really should continue with it when it comes up for renewal. I do use it between 3 and 4 times a week but the problem is a) it will be moving a bit further away from me which is going to mean it will take me an hour to walk home afterwards instead of half an hour (I don't really relish that idea after a work out especially in the winter in the dark) and b) the classes I really enjoy they seem to keep changing. I am currently only going to the classes I do attend to make my membership worthwhile. The one thing that is making me hesitate is the social side of things. I have met a group of ladies who have kept me sane over the last 15 years or so and I am sure I would still see them but not as much. I will need to make a decision by January.

I got paid a week ago and I think I have paid out all the things I have to pay now so what is left is for food, petrol and general spending. I am trying to be more thoughtful about when and what I spend. I am on the 2nd week of doing a weekly menu plan. I did used to do that but I stopped a few years ago as I just got so fed up with doing it but now I have started again I can really see why it is a good idea. No sudden "I don't know what to buy" or "what can I do tonight". The freezer is full of batch cooked meals and I have started to stew some fruit to freeze as well before it goes off (I have loads of plums and apples and as I am on my own I just can't get through it all). I'm hoping today will be the first of a number of no spend days this month.

Enjoy your days!
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • little_green
    Options
    hello all.
    thought i'd join in the conversation.
    I do a weekly shop so automatically deduct one day out of 7 to account for that from my target NSD's. I don't count bills that automatically come out of my account as a spend day as my view is that's a necessity more than me making an active decision to spend.
    NSD's are good to track but utimately it comes down to how much you spend. I mean i could spend £1 everyday of the month & have 0 NSD's but have only spent £30ish for the month so it would still be good.
    Before joining this forum i tracked my spending but not my NSDs & tracking my NSD's has helped in a way. As some day's i'll think to myself i'd like a look in the local charity shops but then i think "nah, will give it a miss as today is meant to be a NSD & if i go i may spend unnecessarily.
    I would say tracking NSD's has definitely made me think twice about many purchases.
    But my recommendation would be to use the NSD tracker with a budgeting plan too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure