Boots Sale

Comments

• Just to add looking back on previous Boots post 2017 noticed by 20th Jan over 484 posts pre 70% sale either there are less MSErs or less interest in Boots sale or maybe both.
  • Figgi
    Figgi Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I think Boots have changed since they were taken over by the American company (Walgreen??)

I have seen this said time and time again on various forums. It was actually a merger with the largest shareholder in Boots ending up with the largest shareholding in the new combined company Walgreen Boots Alliance.
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just to add looking back on previous Boots post 2017 noticed by 20th Jan over 484 posts pre 70% sale either there are less MSErs or less interest in Boots sale or maybe both.

Definitely seems a lot quite than normal on here!!

Also agree about people's gifting styles changing, S&G seems pretty commonplace nowadays and less of a demand for it. Though I'm sure they probably produce a lot more than they did in years gone by. I personally don't buy these star gifts anymore as they have them all year round and the prices have crept up a bit over recent years so don't seem to be much of a bargain anymore.

As you say people are also on the look out for something a bit different and often more ethical too. I think people like to buy at Christmas markets & fayres and have a festive experience at the same time with the food and drinks available. People are becoming more conscious of their plastic footprint, I read soap bar sales have increased massively in the last year or so and there's some lovely ones you can get in Tkmaxx as a nice gift. Lush has really got a loyal customer base now and has quickly become one of the most trusted brands in the UK.
    Then there's the other side of the market wanting designer brands, Boots sadly seem stuck as the 'boring middle bit' of the market. A few years ago when they started doing the likes of Ted Baker it was deemed to be a bit luxury but not anymore.
    Boots definitely need to make some changes. I only really buy for myself in their sale nowadays as it seems like to give as a gift may not have much thought behind it. If people want something that much they've usually already got it themselves. Though one or two things are good to save for presents when kids need a last minute gift from you I suppose. Even they seem to have gone up a level in what they want these days though.
  • Hi everyone, just checked latest deals thread, it is reported that it starts Thursday and that extra staff have been asked to go in, it could be a red herring but who knows for sure, really getting fed up with it all now and agree with all your comments.
  • Not sure if it’s a sign it will be on soon but just noticed Boots have taken down the 50% sign on their website today
  • Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cagsd wrote: »
    I've decided that I'm not even bothering at all this year if a 70% sale even does take place. The past couple of years have been increasingly unpleasant to attend - these days it's just a scrum. Just out of nosiness I popped into the big Boots in Speke earlier today and was surprised to see no fewer than TEN aisle sides still groaning with sale stock. There were dozens of the big Soap and Glory tins, along with loads of the S&G advent calendars and makeup sets; also loads of Jack Wills, Ted Baker, Superdry, Harry Potter, Sleek, Hype, NASA, Maybelline, Fat Face..... you name it, it was there. It's mind boggling to think how much of this stuff they must have manufactured, given that it's been in stores since September!!
    My theory about Boots now is that it is approximately worth what they are charging in the 70% sale. Say for example a set is priced up at £10 but in my eyes it's only worth £3. (I don't mean what it is normally priced at when on sale separately, I literally mean what it's worth). If they sell one at £10 they're making a huge profit! At 3 for 2 they'd still make £20 for £9 worth, so still turning a profit. Once things are down to 50% they're still getting £5 for a £3 item! so it's only once the 70% sale is on, that you're actually paying what it's really worth! Hardly the huge bargains they're made out to be then!
    Just because something has an arbitrary price label on it, doesn't mean that thing is "worth" that at any point!!
    I'm quite glad I've finally come to this conclusion after years of mindless Boots shopping. I feel quite relaxed now knowing that I'm not missing out by not going to the sale!
    The voice of reason, we should all take heed I think....
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

We are having our Mini Club baby & toddler 70% sale on selected lines this Wednesday 23rd Jan at Boots.

There is no plan as yet for the Boots Christmas stock to go to 70% until at least Feb :-/

employee

Thanks.
    Quoting for anyone who missed this......
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Lily54 wrote: »
    The voice of reason, we should all take heed I think....

Thanks, I'm just glad I've opened my eyes to it, and hopefully others will too. I shopped that sale for years, saying things like "I got £400 worth of stuff for just £100" etc - NO I didn't, I pretty much got £100 worth of stuff that had ridiculously marked up prices!!!
    And other PPs are right, the bubble has burst for many. Not just over price, but there are only so many times you can buy toiletries sets for your family! Especially when the stuff in them is the same year in year out. Many of those that do bother with the sale now, state that they just want a few bits for themselves, rather than stocking up on all next year's Christmas pressies!!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    good news for me the less people that go the more i can fill my Boots!!!!

Don't buy gift sets but other stuff!! Have had al sorts of yum stuff for peanuts!
  • Figgi
    Figgi Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2019 at 11:50AM
    Pip54 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just checked latest deals thread, it is reported that it starts Thursday and that extra staff have been asked to go in, it could be a red herring but who knows for sure, really getting fed up with it all now and agree with all your comments.

It isn't this week

Which thread does it say it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family