Virgin Broadband new customer prices for old customer (nearly)

Options
Virgin are currently offering discounts for new customers
e.g. £35/month for 12 months + £25 setup fee for Vivid 200

if you're an old customer and out of contract - they won't let you have these prices unless you physically leave virgin for 3 months

calling and threatening to leave got me £40/month (normal price ~ £45/month)- I asked to raise a formal complaint and chatted about the Which supercomplaint on loyalty penalty
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46596162

the agent assured me there was nothing she could do and passed me on to the manager who assured me there was nothing he could do either

I explained that I just wanted a formal complaint to go through the process (deadlock letter, arbitration) to add weight to the which supercomplaint

at that point, he magically discovered an even better deal of £36/month for 18 months (12 month lock in) with no setup fee

it's marginally different to the new customer deal - but close enough that I'm happy.

meanwhile I have called ofcom to submit a formal complaint about the practice of refusing new-offer pricing unless you leave for 3 months

happy bargaining!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Virgin are currently offering discounts for new customers
    e.g. £35/month for 12 months + £25 setup fee for Vivid 200

if you're an old customer and out of contract - they won't let you have these prices unless you physically leave virgin for 3 months

calling and threatening to leave got me £40/month (normal price ~ £45/month)- I asked to raise a formal complaint and chatted about the Which supercomplaint on loyalty penalty
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46596162

the agent assured me there was nothing she could do and passed me on to the manager who assured me there was nothing he could do either

I explained that I just wanted a formal complaint to go through the process (deadlock letter, arbitration) to add weight to the which supercomplaint

at that point, he magically discovered an even better deal of £36/month for 18 months (12 month lock in) with no setup fee

it's marginally different to the new customer deal - but close enough that I'm happy.

meanwhile I have called ofcom to submit a formal complaint about the practice of refusing new-offer pricing unless you leave for 3 months

happy bargaining!

I'm glad you got a deal but I'm sorry, you've posted a load of nonsense there.

Company's are allowed to offer deals to attract new customers and aren't obliged to offer the same terms to existing customers. This Which "Supercomplaint" refers to existing "loyal" customers (should be termed lazy customers, not loyal) who just let their contracts continue or renew without checking the competition. It's got nothing to do with your situation as you know enough to contact them.

Your "formal complaint" would have been laughed at and I doubt you'd have got a deadlock letter as you were out of minimum term and had 3 choices, accept the offer, pay full price or leave. Arbitration? Who do you think would arbitrate for you?

Ofcom can and will do nothing about your complaint regarding new customer offers being for new customers only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure