PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help writing letter to Housing Association

Options
Hi there,
I recently bought a shared ownership property from what feels like the worst housing association in the country.

I have purchased a property surrounded by council tenants - I have no prejudices against them, I was one with my mum for most of my life, however, the general condition of our new build street is devastating compared to all of the other streets with outright owned homes in them.

Other residents are refusing to follow the rules in the street I live in, leaving bags of open and loose litter all in the street for it to blow everywhere. Some have several animals which are never walked and left to defecate all over the back gardens and dig holes into neighbouring properties.

I came home last week and had to pick up three large dog poos from my lawn and I don't even own animals. I am having to do this almost every night after work.
There were cigarette ends and crisp packets everywhere in my garden, and again, I do not smoke. This has been going on for months, so not like the weather is blowing it there.

I am literally at breaking point. I have already contacted the housing association and asked them to please come and view the street and take measures and clearly, they have done nothing.

I have no working heating in my kitchen along with various other issues, I followed this through with my snagging list back in June and nothing has been done. I have chased and chased and nothing is being done at all. They have my money and don't seem to care.

I am really worried I am going to get rats next with all of the litter. I just cannot believe how down hill the place has gone since moving in just a few months back and I am really concerned that the value of my house is going to suffer.

Can someone please advise me on a strongly worded letter I can send the housing association as I don't know how much more of this I can put up with.

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP If I were you I would go to their offices or find out from your local councillor who the neighbourhood officer is. Housing associations often have neighbourhood forums where you can raise issues like this.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • henrygregory
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    OP If I were you I would go to their offices or find out from your local councillor who the neighbourhood officer is. Housing associations often have neighbourhood forums where you can raise issues like this.

Good idea, they don't even have a number on their website. You have to go on Facebook and speak to them on there.

I have spent the past hour trying to capture a rabbit belonging to a neighbour who is out. There are such large holes under the fence, the rabbit has got through and is eating all of my plants. It is ten past nine, I should have been at work at 830am and I am running around the garden trying to capture it. It is just beyond a joke.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very strange the HA don't have a phone number. Thats most unusual.

Was the heating broken in the defects period? And is it just a radiator?

Outside of defects these repairs would be your responsibility. However if your snagging list hasnt been resolved follow the complaints procedure in writing.
  • babyblade41
    Options
    Unfortunately no matter where we live or how much we pay no one is responsible for who lives outside the boundaries of ones own property , surely this has not occurred overnight

As regards the heating then if that was not put right after moving in I presume you would have flagged it up ASAP but as it appears just in one room would the radiator just need bleeding where air is causing the problem ?

Anti social people live in every walks of life sadly and could you not repair the fence to prevent rabbits coming in and eating your plants ?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently bought a shared ownership property from what feels like the worst housing association in the country.

I have purchased a property surrounded by council tenants
    Council, as opposed to housing association? Is there more than one landlord involved?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Council, as opposed to housing association? Is there more than one landlord involved?
    Most council stock was hived off into Registered Social Landlords which are better known as Housing Associations.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Most council stock was hived off into Registered Social Landlords which are better known as Housing Associations.
    I'm aware of that, but there are still plenty of council tenants, some in the same streets as housing association stock. Obviously a bit simpler for the OP if the whole street has the same landlord.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, but there are still plenty of council tenants, some in the same streets as housing association stock. Obviously a bit simpler for the OP if the whole street has the same landlord.
    Aren't they managed by the same HA though?

For example, here in Stafford the council stock was hived off into Stafford & Rural Homes and they became the landlord to the council tenants (those with preserved RTB) and to future tenants as an RSL/HA.

The only way I could see two different HAs in the same street is if an outfit like Bromford or Accord came in on a private development to offer shared ownership?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Look up the complaints process on your HA's website and follow it. Make any complaints in writing and keep copies of the letters and proof of posting.

Be as clear as you can both about
    1. What the issue is
    2. Why you belive that they can address it
    3. what, specifcally, you are asking them to do.

For instance, in terms of antii-social beahvious, I would only expect them to be able to do anything if you are able to identify a specifc individual and point to a part of the tenancy agreement that person is breaching.

Things like the dog fouling may well fall into the remit of your local council's environmental health department rather than the housing association.

It's possible that the bags of rubbish may fall into this category as well. If you think it is the HA's responsbilioty, be clear about why (e.g. - I understand that the terms of the lease state that all tenants must use the wheelie bins provided and may not put bin bags out. Bags are being left out which are attracting rats and are causing unsanitary and unsightly mess. I would like you to speak to the tenants concerned to remind them of therules, and to make more regualr checks over the next few months until the issue is resolved" (or whatever it is you think that they can, or should, be doing.)

Be aware that if you do make a complaint, you may not be told exactly what is done in response. I used to live in a mixed estate where my immediate neighbours were HA. I made a complaint about one specific neighbour. I found out that the HA had been to see them and also sent them a formal written warning, but I only know that because at that point the tenant came to apologise. The HA did not tell me what steps they had taken.

If there is dog mess in your garden, can you do anything about fencing the garden so it is less accessible? or using 'get of my garden' or similar to discourage dogs ? (if fencing isn't allowed, consider spiky border plants)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Other residents are refusing to follow the rules in the street I live in, leaving bags of open and loose litter all in the street for it to blow everywhere. Some have several animals which are never walked and left to defecate all over the back gardens and dig holes into neighbouring properties.

I came home last week and had to pick up three large dog poos from my lawn and I don't even own animals. I am having to do this almost every night after work.
    There were cigarette ends and crisp packets everywhere in my garden, and again, I do not smoke. This has been going on for months, so not like the weather is blowing it there.

Unless you have evidence of which neighbours are causing the problem I don't see what the HA can do apart from a general leaflet put through each door.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport