Options
I know people have been talking like this for a while, but it seems to be getting more common and frequent.

Why do people put like in nearly every sentence they say?

My children never used to, but this past year it’s been doing my head in. I keep correcting them, but it’s become an ingrained way.

Does this bother anyone else or am I just the grumpy one? :D
Live for the moment and plan for the future

Comments

• societys_child
    Options
    Hi Grumpy, I don't know why, but some people keep saying it's doing my head in and I'm not really sure what that means . . . :D
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CuppaTea wrote: »
    I know people have been talking like this for a while, but it seems to be getting more common and frequent.

Why do people put like in nearly every sentence they say?

My children never used to, but this past year it’s been doing my head in. I keep correcting them, but it’s become an ingrained way.

Does this bother anyone else or am I just the grumpy one? :D

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Yoof of today on the radio a while back.
    So I was like, what do you, like, think about it all? I mean, like it's not something I've really thought about, like, but now you mention it, like....

That sort of thing?
    Completely drives me up the wall. I'm so irritated by the likes I can't concentrate on what they're saying. Like.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • yellowbear
    Options
    I hate it. I work in a school and most of the kids there don't seem to be able to have a conversation without every other word being 'like'.
    It gets worse as they progress through the school.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Does facebook still have a like button?

I'm like, well that's what done it . .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    some people keep saying it's doing my head in . . . :D
    My exact thought reading the OP too! ;)
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've found that if like I insert it like into every fourth or fifth word like they soon like catch on to like just how silly it sounds like and stop doing it...like.

My pet hate is the hugely overused literally ... like, I mean, literally in front of every sentence especially such stupidities as "oh, it was so funny I literally died laughing.." :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    The Yoof of today on the radio a while back.
    So I was like, what do you, like, think about it all? I mean, like it's not something I've really thought about, like, but now you mention it, like....

That sort of thing?
    Completely drives me up the wall. I'm so irritated by the likes I can't concentrate on what they're saying. Like.

^^^^ This.
    Lacking in vocabulary. (imho)
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yellowbear wrote: »
    I hate it. I work in a school and most of the kids there don't seem to be able to have a conversation without every other word being 'like'.
    It gets worse as they progress through the school.

In our case this was made much worse because the main culprit was the teacher! Hard for a child to stop using it when she hears it being used for six hours a day :eek:
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    I heard two girls talking on the bus and I lost count of the number of likes. Hardly anything made sense.
    She was, like.= she ( verb eg went)
    she went, like = she said.
    I cannot imagine how a foreigner can begin to understand this poor use of English.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure