35 hour a week work search is becoming difficult. How to not get sanctioned?

Options

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    miriamac wrote: »
    BiB - or 7 hours a day Mon-Fri. Like a lot of jobs.

Yes assuming you haven’t been told you are expected to do something everyday. Then it would mean thinking about how to rework it into 5 days. Still should be possible to fill the time. It can just take some thought and planning to achieve it.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Yes, I know, and tailoring the CV for each job is counted in the time and also increases the chance of getting the job.

If people put the same effort into finding work as they do into trying to play the system they’d very likely be in work by now.

I have to ask, the sort of advice you are giving, have you ever been unemployed yourself and did it not make it hard to get back in? It reads to me like a manual for becoming long term unemployed, or having a series of low skilled low paying jobs with big gaps between them.

How have you managed to stay in work if your posts on here reflect what you really think?

Its not trying to play the system. People are being played by the system. What it is about is when you have done all you can think of and are still short then you have a choice between fibbing a bit or getting sanctioned. There is no aim here to help people avoid work. Its to help people avoid a sanction.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    gomer wrote: »
    That's because all I've heard so far are naff excuses.

Your benifit might change (wrong)
    College takes too long (boo hoo - working 72hrs a week and having £500 per month taken from my salary paying for people's benefits takes too flipping long!)
    You might be financially worse off (wrong)

etc etc etc excuse excuse excuse all I'm hearing from you Donna is excuse after excuse about why people can't do things, but very liite positive advice about using jobcentre to better your prospects. I have to agree the advice you are giving on this thread is toxic., not to mention unproductive.

Your benefit remains the same while you are at college. How many more times? It's still classed as jobseekers because being at college is still doing something to actively find future employment and improve your prospects. They give you a form which exempts you from signing on while you are at college.

I'm telling you this because I know it's true. I did it myself. Forget about 'what sort of benefits' you get, what type of benefits you get while at college are irrelevant. it's STILL THE SAME!!! Nothing changes with your benefits. All that matters is it stays the same and you don't lose a penny and don't pay for travel. YOU ARE NOT FINANCIALLY WORSE OFF, so stop looking for excuses.

Jesus christ. I give up. All you seem to be doing is looking for naff excuses with every post rather than looking for solutions. If you are the future job seekers then God help us we might as well give up now. Just cling onto your jobseekers and don't even bother trying to improve your chances. I don't really care anymore. lol
    You are misleading people. You can only do part time training and still sign on.
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes assuming you haven’t been told you are expected to do something everyday. Then it would mean thinking about how to rework it into 5 days. Still should be possible to fill the time. It can just take some thought and planning to achieve it.

35 hours a week is not that unusual for jobs. Your 'job' at the moment is jobseeking.

You have flexibility in the way you split those hours. But it is both reasonable and manageable to do. And it is training for when you do have a job and have to dedicate 35 hours or so to it each week.
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2018 at 7:45PM
    Options
    35 hours a week is not that unusual for jobs. Your 'job' at the moment is jobseeking.

You have flexibility in the way you split those hours. But it is both reasonable and manageable to do. And it is training for when you do have a job and have to dedicate 35 hours or so to it each week.

But the point being made is there simply aren't enough jobs out there to be able to spend 35 hours a week applying for them.

Back when I was unemployed I would be very surprised if there was more than say 10 jobs a week to apply for that I actually could do/would have been suitable for me. Now that was the 1980s (not the even worse 2010's) and I lived in a city and it was in England (not some part of the country where some employers might be demanding Welsh, Gaelic, etc, etc on top of the necessary "qualifications and experience" to actually do the job - and thus ensuring I couldnt even ask for the job in the first place even if I had the necessary "qualifications and experience" for it). The other choice might or might not be available - ie of lying and saying I was going to learn Welsh/Gaelic/etc and wondering how long I'd have the job before they found out I wasn't using my own time and my own money to do so and then sacked me.

If anyone expected me to apply for jobs now - in the 2010's and living in Welsh-speaking part of Wales and in a town = I know I would go from one month to the next and not see a single job I could ask for. Reason - because a noticeable number of the jobs are part-time and I'm full-time. Add on "that sentence" that is often there in job adverts in this area or hanging in the air unsaid that goes "Welsh speaker essential or preferred" and that has certainly ruled out the very odd few jobs I've seen that I might have applied for.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2018 at 8:26PM
    Options
    :(
    You are misleading people. You can only do part time training and still sign on.

Conveniently ignore all the valid points I've made because they didn't fit your negative agenda. Lol

You are a terrible advert for anyone wanting to genuinely improve their chances. Are you stupid or something? Jesus christ almighty. I think I would know if I was in part time training or not. I give up.

I WAS NOT IN PART TIME TRAINING and even if it was part time (which it wasn't) is that still not better than not gaining qualifications?

Seriously oh. My. God. Its like taking to a brick wall. Talk about thick. like I said, I dispair.

Honestly Donna, just carry on doing what you're doing. I'm sure people will be crying out to hire you lol
  • marmite1979
    Options
    No coach is going to time your activities to the dot, you need to show that you are looking for work
    1. Consider how long you can take to search for jobs, then if available the methods of applying, you like the job so research the candidate profile requires, then apply your skills onto the CV or form to each job individually. Ask your Work Coach whats the recommended time for filling an application properly is, include the time you've asked for advice. 2-3 hours minimum for each vacancy would show the employer you are serious even if you've got multiple with the same company. Some know that Job Seekers will fill an online form to get the email notification proof to show the Job Centre. Three applications equals six hours.
    2. If you live in a populated area you should easily find two companies per day to send speculative letters to. One hour each gives you two hours of activity.
    3. If you live a an hour or Ninety Mins away from potential employers include the travel time within your time walking around business go by bus/train and you can claim back for the travel -and they prove you went- if you get invited to interview, phone agencies to arrange an interview include the time you were there. One trip a week should give you ten hours.

Add talking to mates about work with them even at the Pub get a receipt to prove you were there and inquired while there.

Finally most Employers will not give out information on who's applied to anyone. And consider this you put twenty a week down along with all the others who meet your coach, how can they check them all?
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Options
    But the point being made is there simply aren't enough jobs out there to be able to spend 35 hours a week applying for them.

Back when I was unemployed I would be very surprised if there was more than say 10 jobs a week to apply for that I actually could do/would have been suitable for me. Now that was the 1980s (not the even worse 2010's) and I lived in a city and it was in England (not some part of the country where some employers might be demanding Welsh, Gaelic, etc, etc on top of the necessary "qualifications and experience" to actually do the job - and thus ensuring I couldnt even ask for the job in the first place even if I had the necessary "qualifications and experience" for it). The other choice might or might not be available - ie of lying and saying I was going to learn Welsh/Gaelic/etc and wondering how long I'd have the job before they found out I wasn't using my own time and my own money to do so and then sacked me.

If anyone expected me to apply for jobs now - in the 2010's and living in Welsh-speaking part of Wales and in a town = I know I would go from one month to the next and not see a single job I could ask for. Reason - because a noticeable number of the jobs are part-time and I'm full-time. Add on "that sentence" that is often there in job adverts in this area or hanging in the air unsaid that goes "Welsh speaker essential or preferred" and that has certainly ruled out the very odd few jobs I've seen that I might have applied for.

If you lack a skill which could help your ability to fit in, improve your life, and extend the range of jobs you could do - why not speak to your work coach to see what can be done?

If you have decided that you simply will not try to learn a language which is widely used/is the main language in the area where you have chosen to live, you are restricting your opportunities in far more areas than just jobseeking :(
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • Farmer_Johnson
    Options
    If you lack a skill which could help your ability to fit in, improve your life, and extend the range of jobs you could do - why not speak to your work coach to see what can be done?

If you have decided that you simply will not try to learn a language which is widely used/is the main language in the area where you have chosen to live, you are restricting your opportunities in far more areas than just jobseeking :(
    It’s shocking that people can act as though they are being hard done by in cases like this.
  • donnajunkie
    Options

You cant apply job like conditionality unless you pay a wage and give employment rights. You can be off sick in a job and not lose it so long as you dont do it too often. You get holidays in a job. On uc you work 365 days a year.
    It is nothing like a job. Making it 35 hours and saying many jobs are 35 hours does not make them the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure