Average age of !!!!! for 1st season.

Options
Hi Everybody,
I'm just after a bit of info from anyone who has had a little girl doggy before.
I have a Cocker Spaniel. She will be 2 in December. As yet she hasn't had a season. I think this very strange.
In the past I have only had male dogs. I didnt want to breed her and she was going to have the operation after her 1st season.
I'm not too worried about it, more curious as to whether other people have had any experience of this.
Thanks everyone

Tite
xx

Comments

• deedeeliz
    Options
    I'm not sure when they start breeding but you dont need to wait until her first season to have her spayed, anytime after 5-6 months is generally good :)

The sooner you do it the smaller the liklihood of womb problems for her :)

Any cute cocker spaniel photos? :)
  • TITEASCRAMP
    TITEASCRAMP Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    Options
    deedeeliz wrote: »
    I'm not sure when they start breeding but you dont need to wait until her first season to have her spayed, anytime after 5-6 months is generally good :)

The sooner you do it the smaller the liklihood of womb problems for her :)

Any cute cocker spaniel photos? :)

Thanks, No I do know how to upload them. I will try though.
    Do you think its nessecsary to have her spayed. She is almost 2 and hasn't had a season. The only reason i was going to get her done was because I dont like mess.
  • deedeeliz
    Options
    Well I think it should be worth it both for any possible mess and because some dogs are prone to problems, my friends' lab/staff mix had to have a hysterectomy at the age of 7 due to growths in her womb, the vet said they may not have occured if she'd been neutered younger.

My friend said it was a relief anyway as there were no longer worrys taking her out for walks when she was in heat - lol
  • ~cleo~
    ~cleo~ Posts: 583 Forumite
    Options
    from what i know they can have their first season anytime between 6 months and 2 years, supposidly smaller breeds earlier on than larger ones (but i only have experience of toy breeds) maybe talk to your vet see if he/she thinks they need to investigate further, its definatly a good idea to get her spayed if your not going to breed her as it can reduce the risk of breast cancer and other associated problems
    :rolleyes: Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame.:j
  • TITEASCRAMP
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I have mentioned it to the vet. He said it was very unusual. Like I said she is 2 in Dece.
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does sound a bit odd - like cleo says, they normally start between 6 months and 2 years depending on their breed (smaller breeds earlier).

I'd ask your vet, just to be on the safe side. She may be having Silent Seasons, which I think is the same as a season without the blood. The trouble is with this of course, that without you being aware of it, your girl could get 'caught' whilst you're out walking. Have you noticed her behaviour changing and then reverting back to normal? Any physical changes?

It really is best to get her spayed, for a number of reasons. It has some health benefits - prevention of some cancers, pyometra; can calm down behaviour (particularly in boys!) ie make them less likely to run off to breed; and by spaying and declaring so on her collar tag, can help to prevent theft.

Tilly is our first dog, and had two seasons before we had her spayed. I would never hesitate to get it done again - she really wasn't very happy with herself when she was in season, all her 'bits' were really swollen (sorry if TMI!), and of course, it is no fun trying to exercise and entertain them while in season.

Let us know how you get on.

Georgie

ETA: Sorry, I cross posted with you. Did your vet not offer any explanation, or offer to spay her anyway? Folk normally only wait till after the first season as it's an indication of maturity, but now your girl is nearly 2, I'd have thought it was OK from a maturity POV.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • TITEASCRAMP
    Options
    Yes I really do need to give it some thought.
    No she has definately not had one silent or otherwise. No signs at all.
    No swollen bits, no discharge, no difference in behaver when we are out. She comes in contact daily with male dogs, they have never acted any different round her.
    The vet just said it was unusual, and that he'd never seen it before. I said is it possible she can't have them (like some humans have problems) he said yes.
    But like you have said from her health point of view it may be worth getting her done.
  • dizzy_lizzie
    Options
    Our Jack Russell had her first around 5 months old. Quite a lot of blood dripping around and her behaviour is erratic when she's in season. She's almost 3 now and each time has got better and not as much blood. (sorry bit too much info maybe) We'll definately be getting her 'done'. She won't be having pups, and healthwise it will be better for her. I've put it off because being a Jack she is a lively little thing and I don't know how she'll be after the op, to be honest it does scare me a little too, but the earlier it's done, I suppose, the better. x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • WeirdoMagnet
    Options
    I've put it off because being a Jack she is a lively little thing and I don't know how she'll be after the op, to be honest it does scare me a little too, but the earlier it's done, I suppose, the better. x
    I was like you dizzy lizzie - we have a Jack Russell (Parsons) too. And she is our first dog, so I had no ida what to expect. The vet will spay her three months after she's been in season, so she is in the middle of her cycle and there is less blood flowing to the area.

I dropped her off at the vets (which was bad, because she wanted to follow me), and went to work, but had prearranged a half day to pick her up in the afternoon. It migth seem odd that I went to work, but I couldn't have stood mooning around the house all morning wondering what was going on. We collected her a about three o'clock - she was very woozy and sorry for herself. We just popped her on the sofa and let her sleep it off. She was a bit better the next morning, but I still felt she was in pain and the main problem for her was constipation - I guess it was the combination of having Nil By Mouth for nearly 24 hours and the anaesthetic, and the painkillers too. A dose of liquid parafin got things going though!

As for the exercise, they seem to know what they can & can't do. We went for a potter on-lead for a few days, and then extended it to being the flexi for a couple of weeks. I walked where I knew there wouldn't be many dogs so no chance of her diving around like a loony.

Hope this helps!

Georgie
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • dizzy_lizzie
    Options
    Thanks Georgina that is really helpful. Especially as you have a Jack Russell too.:D I need to place more trust in her, as you say, she'll know herself her limits. I'm definately more ready for her to have it done now, and not as worried. Thanks again.
    Luvz Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport